Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Currently on a secondary school waiting list - moving child a few weeks into the start of term?

156 replies

Turquoiseturtle3 · 21/08/2023 08:09

Hi all, with 2 weeks to go in slightly freaking out about the start of secondary school. We are currently on the waiting list for our top choice. At one point we were 3rd at the start of July but have now slipped to 10th. So the chances of being offered before term starts is now extremely low. I was hopeful we would be offered in the summer holidays and everything would work out. So we are now potentially facing a dilemma if we are offered once term has started. Has anyone moved their DC a few weeks into term? I am gutted he will miss out on the “getting to know you” stuff. Of course he might not be offered at all and this is also semi wishful thinking. But I have to be prepared.

The school he is currently going to is further away but he will know quite a lot of people from primary. Our first choice school he will know practically no one. Im worried about him making friends when groups have already been formed. But know this is probably short term pain. Any advice welcome. TIA

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 21/08/2023 08:51

Last year they offered 21 places in September. So there are no guarantees but a real possibility. The current school is good. He’ll know people. There are just a few downsides which I won’t go into. Really our heart is with the first choice school. It’s much closer as well. DC is fully aware. He said he would swap if a place comes up this year. But in reality that will probably change once he actually starts.
It will be interesting to see what happens with places come the start of September. There are usually some people that don’t turn up but you never know.

OP posts:
TeenDivided · 21/08/2023 08:23

I think you also need to make sure you go full in for current school otherwise it might be hard for your DC to settle if they are thinking 'I won't be here long'.

TeenDivided · 21/08/2023 08:21

Friendships shift around a lot in y7.
Personally I'd cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

12345change · 21/08/2023 08:19

It really depends on your child and how much you dislike the school you have been allocated? I know someone who pulled their child out in year 8 to go their first choice school - they had also moved closer to that the school. It was very difficult and fairly stressful and I'm not sure I would do it - but it worked out for them.

Summerslimtime · 21/08/2023 08:15

Hi, I'm sure he will be absolutely fine at his new school. For his sake I would throw everything at it and stop mentioning the first choice school. At my school at 10th place for Year 7 you wouldn't be offered a place at all. Most schools are considerably over PAN anyway, so a lot of pupils would have to leave before there was even a place available. I think you are entitled to one appeal per academic year.

Of course this may not be the case in your area.

StillWantingADog · 21/08/2023 08:13

Is there a big issue with the school he is going to? If not i’d try to make the best of it.

I get it may not have been your first choice but I think it would be difficult to pull him out a few weeks out unless he specially wants to swap. At that age it’s not quite as simple as what the parent wants. But of course is perfectly reasonable to stay on the waiting list and see what, if anything, happens