Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Currently on a secondary school waiting list - moving child a few weeks into the start of term?

156 replies

Turquoiseturtle3 · 21/08/2023 08:09

Hi all, with 2 weeks to go in slightly freaking out about the start of secondary school. We are currently on the waiting list for our top choice. At one point we were 3rd at the start of July but have now slipped to 10th. So the chances of being offered before term starts is now extremely low. I was hopeful we would be offered in the summer holidays and everything would work out. So we are now potentially facing a dilemma if we are offered once term has started. Has anyone moved their DC a few weeks into term? I am gutted he will miss out on the “getting to know you” stuff. Of course he might not be offered at all and this is also semi wishful thinking. But I have to be prepared.

The school he is currently going to is further away but he will know quite a lot of people from primary. Our first choice school he will know practically no one. Im worried about him making friends when groups have already been formed. But know this is probably short term pain. Any advice welcome. TIA

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 10/09/2023 21:26

happyinherts · 10/09/2023 20:13

I moved my daughter at the October half term because I was totally unimpressed with the school I had chosen and was given. I didn't have a school place anywhere else but told them point blankly she wasn't coming back. Fortunately, she did find a school with a wonderful school with a vacancy, I phoned them directly, and she slotted in no problem and enjoyed her five years there immensely.

All is not lost - there is movement. Keep ringing the schools and tell them what an asset your child would be to them. Don't give up.

Ah, that’s great. The problem now is that he is pretty settled. He knows lots of kids there and seems to like every one of his teachers. My worry would be moving somewhere where he doesn’t know anyone and might not like the teachers. I had always thought we would hold out for the place but really don’t know now. Part of me has given up after the council said unlikely for a place.

I do know that last year 4 places were offered in the first week and 21 places were offered overall in September so maybe a place will come up.

I’m waiting to hear back from the school directly. That might give me an indication of no shows they can’t get old of which might result in more offers.

OP posts:
happyinherts · 10/09/2023 20:13

I moved my daughter at the October half term because I was totally unimpressed with the school I had chosen and was given. I didn't have a school place anywhere else but told them point blankly she wasn't coming back. Fortunately, she did find a school with a wonderful school with a vacancy, I phoned them directly, and she slotted in no problem and enjoyed her five years there immensely.

All is not lost - there is movement. Keep ringing the schools and tell them what an asset your child would be to them. Don't give up.

HarrietJet · 10/09/2023 19:59

The council said it’s unlikely a place will come up any time soon
I'd take that with a pinch of salt... It's far too early in the term to make such an assumption.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Turquoiseturtle3 · 10/09/2023 19:58

Sweetchick86 · 10/09/2023 18:12

Not heard anything yet either. I called on the first day and was told any no shows etc had to be checked and confirmed before they were able to offer anything out.
It’s been a week, I’m not sure how long these things take or if it’s already happened :(

My dd was 4th on the waiting list and has been really heartbroken all this past week attending the school allocated to her so really hoping for some good news soon x

Edited

I have everything crossed for you!!! My top choice school said it can take up to a few weeks to verify no shows if they can’t get hold of them/have it in writing about withdrawing a place.
The council said they were asking for immediate answers unless people requested more time. They’ll been keen to get places sorted because of the funding count in a few weeks

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 10/09/2023 19:55

Bad news for me. They’ve offered 5 times and everyone accepted immediately. Someone else has joined the list. We are now 8th. It’s a bit soul destroying that we would have been in during the summer holidays if there weren’t so many late additions. The council said it’s unlikely a place will come up any time soon. My son said for me to keep hold of the uniform we bought just in case. But he’s pretty settled already

OP posts:
Sweetchick86 · 10/09/2023 18:12

Greenfingers1980 · 10/09/2023 16:38

Has anybody got any good news stories on waiting list offers or moving up the list in September since term started? I'm checking in this week to see if there has been any movement but not holding my breath...

Not heard anything yet either. I called on the first day and was told any no shows etc had to be checked and confirmed before they were able to offer anything out.
It’s been a week, I’m not sure how long these things take or if it’s already happened :(

My dd was 4th on the waiting list and has been really heartbroken all this past week attending the school allocated to her so really hoping for some good news soon x

Greenfingers1980 · 10/09/2023 16:38

Has anybody got any good news stories on waiting list offers or moving up the list in September since term started? I'm checking in this week to see if there has been any movement but not holding my breath...

Turquoiseturtle3 · 01/09/2023 14:58

Greenfingers1980 · 01/09/2023 11:27

Has anyone had waiting list updates this week? We have slipped backwards from #9 to #11 which is pretty disheartening. Now need to focus on positivity towards the allocated school and accept that it's unlikely to happen for our first choice.

Also did you find out on how much movement there usually is in September. My top choice offered 21 times in September. But the year before only twice. BUT they offered 13 over summer so really its 15 places over summer/September vs 21 last year. So I’m keeping the faith - for now

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 01/09/2023 14:57

I’m also looking at the positives that he can make friends at the current school regardless and we get to see how well they settle. If there are a few kids he dislikes etc or teachers that are scary, he might want to take a punt on the new school if it’s offered. I know it will be a bit of a wrench to move. Time will tell.

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 01/09/2023 14:55

Greenfingers1980 · 01/09/2023 11:27

Has anyone had waiting list updates this week? We have slipped backwards from #9 to #11 which is pretty disheartening. Now need to focus on positivity towards the allocated school and accept that it's unlikely to happen for our first choice.

Really sorry - we too have slipped from 10th to 13th. Gutted!!!! We were 3rd at one point. I came to terms with the fact he wouldn’t start in the first few weeks. All I can hope is that the people that have come on are people panicking about having a back up school. And hope that they don’t take the place. Thankfully the current school he has is really good. I know I should just be grateful. But I’m still holding out.

OP posts:
Greenfingers1980 · 01/09/2023 11:27

Has anyone had waiting list updates this week? We have slipped backwards from #9 to #11 which is pretty disheartening. Now need to focus on positivity towards the allocated school and accept that it's unlikely to happen for our first choice.

Turquoiseturtle3 · 29/08/2023 08:27

Sweetchick86 · 29/08/2023 08:24

I spoke to an admissions lady directly at the school and was told if we remained around 3rd our chances would be good.

I’m just conscious that we’ve slipped a place to 4th and this “bulge year” seems to have really tightened up places as any other year we would have got a place at this school with no problem.

It’s been almost 6 months of hoping and waiting so fingers crossed this last bit pays off as I’m happy to move my daughter at any point unless she tells me otherwise.

Really feel for everyone still waiting. It’s really such a stressful and unpleasant feeling!

Agreed. Sounds like you’ve got a really good chance then. I really wonder whether there is going to be more or less movement this year. People are telling me private people are holding onto state places just in case. Really hope that’s the case to prompt some significant movement.

OP posts:
Sweetchick86 · 29/08/2023 08:24

Turquoiseturtle3 · 29/08/2023 07:42

Oh, I feel for you if you DD is super upset. Do you have any idea what movement there has been in September for the last few years to give you an idea of your chances? How big is the year group? Fingers crossed for you!!

I spoke to an admissions lady directly at the school and was told if we remained around 3rd our chances would be good.

I’m just conscious that we’ve slipped a place to 4th and this “bulge year” seems to have really tightened up places as any other year we would have got a place at this school with no problem.

It’s been almost 6 months of hoping and waiting so fingers crossed this last bit pays off as I’m happy to move my daughter at any point unless she tells me otherwise.

Really feel for everyone still waiting. It’s really such a stressful and unpleasant feeling!

Turquoiseturtle3 · 29/08/2023 08:05

HerderofDragons · 29/08/2023 07:57

I think you're asking me so we had started in late 30s in March and moved fairly steadily down for a few months then nothing at all happened for late July/whole of August. We were at about 8 on the list for ages then it just sped up once school started (school we wanted started a week earlier than one he was going to.)

I know how hard it is and I was similarly obsessed last year but it is so hard to tell. We did know that a boy a few doors down would be very likely to be just before us on the waiting list so his Mum let me know when they reached the top spot (and then rejected the place) sure enough I got the email and call a couple of days later.

That gives us all hope!! I wish I knew someone above in the list! Our council are rubbish. You can’t call them, email only and they take up to 10 days to respond. Really wish there was an online waiting list like some councils provide.

OP posts:
HerderofDragons · 29/08/2023 07:57

Sweetchick86 · 28/08/2023 22:21

Hi,

we are currently living this nightmare :( our daughter was allocated 2nd choice (she’s super upset about it as she won’t know 1 other child at this school)

Have been on the waiting since since March and moved from 11th to 3rd and now she is 4th for the preferred school.

We have everything crossed for some movement in the first term to hopefully get the call!

Do you know what position on the waiting list you were when you got the offer?

thanks :)

I think you're asking me so we had started in late 30s in March and moved fairly steadily down for a few months then nothing at all happened for late July/whole of August. We were at about 8 on the list for ages then it just sped up once school started (school we wanted started a week earlier than one he was going to.)

I know how hard it is and I was similarly obsessed last year but it is so hard to tell. We did know that a boy a few doors down would be very likely to be just before us on the waiting list so his Mum let me know when they reached the top spot (and then rejected the place) sure enough I got the email and call a couple of days later.

Turquoiseturtle3 · 29/08/2023 07:48

Greenfingers1980 · 29/08/2023 07:35

We're in the same boat and I'm holding out for a miracle in the next couple of weeks too. My DS was 9 on the waiting list for first choice school at the end of the summer term and I'm keeping everything crossed for the considerable movement at the start of September that I've been hearing about. Good luck everyone!

Fingers crossed for loads of movement!!! Unfortunately, this is clouding the excitement of secondary school for me. I wish it wasn’t the case. And being told not to think about it or don’t get my hopes up etc isn’t helping 😥

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 29/08/2023 07:45

HerderofDragons · 28/08/2023 21:08

This was us a year ago so I feel your pain! DS went to allocated school (our 4th choice school) and we all decided to make the best of it.

He threw himself into it and was settling well then about two and a half weeks in we got an offer of second choice school. We had a long weekend to think it through and he chose to move.

It felt like a huge thing at the time but he settled in really quickly, has made friends and it was definitely the right decision. School he moved to just has a lot more going on and suits him better.

Obviously we had spent a fortune on uniform and he missed the summer school and residential at the beginning of term but in the grand scheme of things, hey!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for sharing! I feel like it’s definitely the right choice to move. I guess it just comes down to the circumstances of if and when. The waiting is excruciating. Trying not to be too hopeful. It’s hard!

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 29/08/2023 07:42

Oh, I feel for you if you DD is super upset. Do you have any idea what movement there has been in September for the last few years to give you an idea of your chances? How big is the year group? Fingers crossed for you!!

OP posts:
Greenfingers1980 · 29/08/2023 07:35

We're in the same boat and I'm holding out for a miracle in the next couple of weeks too. My DS was 9 on the waiting list for first choice school at the end of the summer term and I'm keeping everything crossed for the considerable movement at the start of September that I've been hearing about. Good luck everyone!

Sweetchick86 · 28/08/2023 22:21

Hi,

we are currently living this nightmare :( our daughter was allocated 2nd choice (she’s super upset about it as she won’t know 1 other child at this school)

Have been on the waiting since since March and moved from 11th to 3rd and now she is 4th for the preferred school.

We have everything crossed for some movement in the first term to hopefully get the call!

Do you know what position on the waiting list you were when you got the offer?

thanks :)

HerderofDragons · 28/08/2023 21:08

This was us a year ago so I feel your pain! DS went to allocated school (our 4th choice school) and we all decided to make the best of it.

He threw himself into it and was settling well then about two and a half weeks in we got an offer of second choice school. We had a long weekend to think it through and he chose to move.

It felt like a huge thing at the time but he settled in really quickly, has made friends and it was definitely the right decision. School he moved to just has a lot more going on and suits him better.

Obviously we had spent a fortune on uniform and he missed the summer school and residential at the beginning of term but in the grand scheme of things, hey!

Good luck!

Turquoiseturtle3 · 22/08/2023 21:25

SheilaFentiman · 21/08/2023 23:02

Do you mean “just not turning up”?

Mine are in private and we gave up our state places on offer day, but if we had felt our jobs were at risk, say, we might have held onto them over the summer.

Yes, sorry missed this. Yes, people that just don’t turn up on the first day and don’t have the decency to inform the state school.
I get holding onto the state place for a while, but does it really need to go down to the wire where a place is being blocked right up until the 1st day of term and the state kid misses out on starting with their peers. So selfish.

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 22/08/2023 15:33

Chiswickgal · 22/08/2023 15:21

If you’re offered your first choice school in the autumn term I’d take it ( particularly as your DS likes that school). Boys don’t tend to be cliquey at that age ime. He’ll settle in fine and as it’s closer to your house will have more local friends.

Thanks for the advice! So annoying to be in limbo. I also wish we had access to the waiting list to see where we are. The council are so slow at responding and it’s all done over email

OP posts:
Turquoiseturtle3 · 22/08/2023 15:31

LadyLapsang · 22/08/2023 13:55

Hi OP, Did you appeal for the preferred school (& not succeed) or just go on the waiting list? I’m surprised the preferred school took so many children in September last year, did they take a bulge class, or go over PAN? As well as children going to the independent sector, gaining places at other schools or moving out of the area, be prepared that more children will move into the area over the summer so rise above you on the waiting list. Also, children may be allocated to the school from the Fair Access Panel.

Have you considered at which point you will commit to the allocated school, e.g. half term or Christmas? Have you looked at the subject choices for Year 7, e.g. do they both offer the same language choices or will your DC need to catch up?

They made 21 offers - not sure how many places were up for grabs. It might have been 1 place that went through 20 no’s before someone said yes.

I didn’t appeal, no. I didn’t have any grounds and the school he is currently going to is good, it’s just a preference thing.

Thats a good point about languages. I’ll check again as I know there are more options at the top choice school.

It’s hard to say when cut off will be. If it doesn’t happen in the first few weeks, it will need a lot more consideration. I imagine if it’s not by half term then I might just stick. But we’ll see how he’s getting on. It might be that we love the school allocated in which case we’ll just stay put.

OP posts:
Chiswickgal · 22/08/2023 15:21

Turquoiseturtle3 · 21/08/2023 09:42

Yes DC is aware of the situation. We are basically bigging up both schools. He is totally fine. He gets it. He was desperate for the first choice school but understands it might not happen and does really like the school he’s got. I guess I’ll have to impatiently wait until September and see what’s what.

If you’re offered your first choice school in the autumn term I’d take it ( particularly as your DS likes that school). Boys don’t tend to be cliquey at that age ime. He’ll settle in fine and as it’s closer to your house will have more local friends.