Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

11+ Will you take a selective private school waiting list place over a less selective firm offer?

37 replies

ConfusedDotCom111 · 16/02/2023 21:39

A selective private school was our first choice but DD got waitlisted. However, we got a firm offer from a less academically selective smaller nurturing school. Shall we accept a WL place if it is offered (fingers crossed) or stick to our firm offer? My concern is if DD did not make it through the first round probably she is not quite the school standard and will struggle there? Or I am overthinking it and it was just not her day at the time of the exam?

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
snowtrees · 22/02/2023 12:00

That is so helpful thanks! I wondered how they did this. In my area the ones going private tend to apply to all of three selective schools. Some will get three offers by the end of the month.
I suspected they all must over offer and try and attract the best. One has wait list places too. One school has sent offers out now but the others haven't yet.

user149799568 · 22/02/2023 11:52

snowtrees · 22/02/2023 09:47

What's an exploding offer?

All independent schools "over-offer", that is, they might make 200 offers when they have only 100 spaces to fill. They do that because they know that they will not be the first choice of every applicant that they offer so, making 200 offers, they expect only 100 acceptances.

When they are overly optimistic about the "yield", that is, it looks like fewer than 100 offers will be accepted, they go to their waiting lists to get to 100 acceptances.

When they are overly pessimistic about the yield, that is, it looks like more than 100 offers will be accepted, they can do several things:

  1. Increase the size of each form, so that 5 forms of 20 may become 5 forms of 22 or 24, provided that facilities permit.
  2. Increase the number of forms to make a "bulge year", so have 5 forms of 20 become 6 forms of 20, again, provided that facilities and staffing permit.
  3. Withdraw outstanding offers once the acceptances reach a hard limit of number of places when facilities and/or staffing no longer permit.
You'll find that most schools, in the small print in the offer letters, reserve the right to do option 3 in case they really misjudge the number of offers and they absolutely cannot increase the number of places further. When a school withdraws an offer before the decision deadline, that offer is said, colloquially, "to explode".
user149799568 · 22/02/2023 11:36

NLondondiva · 21/02/2023 17:07

Re paying deposits - I think that schools now have to abide by the 14 day "cooling off" period for distance selling so check the T&C!

I've heard different stories about this, including that distance selling regulations only apply if you haven't seen the product, so you're on the hook if the school has a record of your attending any open days.

snowtrees · 22/02/2023 09:47

What's an exploding offer?

SayMyNameProperly · 21/02/2023 19:55

@NLondondiva I hope you're right! I shall check them out.

NLondondiva · 21/02/2023 17:07

Re paying deposits - I think that schools now have to abide by the 14 day "cooling off" period for distance selling so check the T&C!

SayMyNameProperly · 21/02/2023 16:54

Ndd135632 · 17/02/2023 18:20

Agree with this. Make sure the firm offer you have is not an ‘exploding offer’ tho. Oh yes that flipping nightmare they throw on us too! Accept last minute and see if wait list place comes up. Our waitlist place came up 2 days after I accepted the firm offer and I still got deposit back. Sometimes they can be kind. And I also agree with @NYE2023 and @HawaiiWake on calling. Monday afternoon is a great idea. You can always call in a lovely way checking in and saying how keen you and your DD are on the school. As someone said they want to fill places and I am sure will go first to those top of mind and likely to accept. When I got the call saying there was a place they knew already we would be delighted and were super happy to call us. And I called weekly asking for updates. In a gentle and happy way. Fingers crossed OP. Update us! Wherever she goes ultimately I am sure she will do super well.

@Ndd135632 could you shed a little light on how you received your deposit back please? We're in a similar position to OP and I'm loathed to jettison £3.5k by accepting an offer for our second choice school should our first choice WL school suddenly become available after the deadline. Thanks.

ConfusedDotCom111 · 18/02/2023 08:37

@ChiefRoady It was just a general interview, our DD said it went well, I believe it probably went well as DD easily talks to adults. I suspect that the problem was in the exam itself. When DD came out she said that papers were relatively easy and she finished them before the time was up. My heart sank, as it meant she rushed them, didn't read questions properly and did not check answers.

OP posts:
NYE2023 · 17/02/2023 19:22

@ChiefRoady don’t worry too much - I don’t think these schools are phased by shy 10/11yo - my DS was definitely shy . I think they are quite skilled at coaxing out of them what they need . They also want a mix of kids . It would be a nightmare if every single child was supremely self confident ! But obviously you can’t know for sure but the main thing is he is still in the mix! Good luck .

ChiefRoady · 17/02/2023 19:09

@ConfusedDotCom111 Do you think your DD would have done well at interview?

@NYE2023 thanks for responding. That’s very interesting to me as I thought the same but my DS is on one waitlist having had a general interview. It’s quite conceivable that he did not interview well as he’s quite intimidated by new adults, to the point of becoming monosyllabic!

NYE2023 · 17/02/2023 18:40

@ChiefRoady yes I do . So for one co Ed popular school near here 1. an interview which was just a pleasant chat usually meant a straight offer unless you did something heinous in the interview 2. An interview where they asked you to, say, read a passage and discuss usually meant top half of wait list unless you smashed it and turned it into an offer 3. Having to do few written questions in a separate room before the interview because there were concerns as to whether certain skills were strong enough probably meant at best wait list but further down ( unless you smashed it to move higher up; or crashed out with a no ). But it is school dependent but the above certainly held true for our cohort but that was some time ago . But there will be someone around who has more recent experience than me.

Ndd135632 · 17/02/2023 18:20

NYE2023 · 17/02/2023 14:32

Do you need to accept your firm just yet if it’s not yet acceptance day ? Our wait list place came through the day before acceptance day . Unless it is a school with “exploding offers “ surely you can wait until the last minute just in case the wait list comes up at the 11th hour Certainly you can use this as reason for ringing them .

Agree with this. Make sure the firm offer you have is not an ‘exploding offer’ tho. Oh yes that flipping nightmare they throw on us too! Accept last minute and see if wait list place comes up. Our waitlist place came up 2 days after I accepted the firm offer and I still got deposit back. Sometimes they can be kind. And I also agree with @NYE2023 and @HawaiiWake on calling. Monday afternoon is a great idea. You can always call in a lovely way checking in and saying how keen you and your DD are on the school. As someone said they want to fill places and I am sure will go first to those top of mind and likely to accept. When I got the call saying there was a place they knew already we would be delighted and were super happy to call us. And I called weekly asking for updates. In a gentle and happy way. Fingers crossed OP. Update us! Wherever she goes ultimately I am sure she will do super well.

ChiefRoady · 17/02/2023 18:14

@NYE2023 do you mean if it was a general interview vs subject focussed?

1forward2back · 17/02/2023 17:22

What are the schools, @ConfusedDotCom111 ? Went through all this last year, so might know
the chances of things moving or if the other school is good.

MaggieFS · 17/02/2023 16:26

That's a great idea from @NYE2023. You'd be annoyed if you accepted the firm offer ahead of its deadline only for a WL place to then come up. And indeed a good premise for making another call.

NYE2023 · 17/02/2023 14:32

Do you need to accept your firm just yet if it’s not yet acceptance day ? Our wait list place came through the day before acceptance day . Unless it is a school with “exploding offers “ surely you can wait until the last minute just in case the wait list comes up at the 11th hour Certainly you can use this as reason for ringing them .

HawaiiWake · 17/02/2023 14:13

Maybe call on Monday, after half term and in the afternoon? In a friendly, chatty rather than pushy parent vibe. Depending on your date when you last called and emailed them.

ConfusedDotCom111 · 17/02/2023 14:06

Thank you @Ndd135632 and @MaggieFS for practical advices. We will accept the firm offer and try to contact the WL school closer to the acceptance day again. I am sure the admissions are very used to being bombarded with calls and emails. @NYE2023 I will keep in touch in a non pushy way as you suggested.
I must admit I have received a few brilliant tips and advices from all of you lovely ladies. If something like that is happening to your own child you get slightly paralysed (at least I got!) and you are not sure if the next step is one too far or not enough. That's why I really appreciate all received messages as they represent a pragmatic view on the situation from a different angle.

OP posts:
ConfusedDotCom111 · 17/02/2023 12:03

@Motherparent19 I would totally agree that a selective school doesn't nessesarily mean better than a less selective. It just happened that the school we preferred is more selective that the one we got an offer from. The WL school is co-ed, which is very important as suites to our DD, academic but not a hot house with very good provision of extra-curricular activities and good 6th form.

OP posts:
NYE2023 · 17/02/2023 11:53

call me cynical but when it comes to waiting list management they will be after those that accept quickly so they don’t end up scrabbling to fill their spaces . If a candidate has made it to the waitlist then they have met standard . So perhaps the only element of “balance” is if a wait list candidate was also strong at sport / music etc . But frankly they will be doing this with a business head on - they need a full school and a cohort with the best possible potential to translate into the league tables !

it’s hard to second guess waitlists - don’t forget schools over offer places to ensure that they don’t end up with too many spaces so it isn’t “one out on in “ like it is for state . However some schools will always go to waitlist; and I know plenty who managed to help engineer that a waitlist place was theirs rather than someone else’s including myself ! I have to say I’ve known a fair few over the years successfully beg quite hard for a place so whilst I agree you don’t want to be annoying, I would very much keep in touch in a non pushy way which also conveys how much you want the place .

if you mention the school someone might be able to give some more specific advice . For example one local popular school here you could usually tell likelihood of a place coming up from waitlist depending on type of interview you had .

ConfusedDotCom111 · 17/02/2023 11:33

FeinCuroxiVooz · 16/02/2023 22:55

if they don't rank the wait list, they may have a whole set of criteria for different things they want to be reasonably balanced across a cohort. depending on the character and ethos of the school they might be keen to ensure a certain proportion of the pupils are quite sporty, a certain proportion quite creative or musical, and a certain proportion quite quiet and nerdy, etc etc (it will be more complex than this, with all sorts of different things) - so they will know from experience that of the first tranche of offers they have made X% will turn it down, so after the deadline they will look at the cohort who accepted, and see what kinds of characteristics are out of balance and if there's not enough of a particular characteristic they will select from the wait list accordingly.

or it might just be a lottery.

It is a very good point, I did not think that the WL selection process is based on balancing the cohort (I though it would be down to exam results) but if they don't rank children on the WL you can be absolutely right.

OP posts:
MaggieFS · 17/02/2023 06:57

If you're prepared to lose the deposit on the confirmed place then you accept that and stay on the WL for the other.

If WL school doesn't rank the list, my guess would be that you won't hear until after acceptance day as they will potentially review all acceptances as pp has said to ensure balance.

Given you've already notified them that you'd accept a place, I'd possibly be tempted to speak to them once more in a few weeks, but wouldn't do more than that. They'll be very used to pushy parents and have a process to follow so I wouldn't expect contact to make a difference, but you never know!!

Motherparent19 · 17/02/2023 06:52

Minus being unscrupulous 😀

Motherparent19 · 17/02/2023 06:51

Ndd135632 · 17/02/2023 06:42

@Motherparent19 don’t let your own fears hold your son back. My DS was less academic than my DD. Went to a highly selective school and it has pushed him higher than I would have ever imagined. And he loves it! He gets a lot of pride and esteem from doing well there.

It’s not a fear. I’m rather Machiavellian in my approach to things and I take a long term view of success.

Ndd135632 · 17/02/2023 06:42

@Motherparent19 don’t let your own fears hold your son back. My DS was less academic than my DD. Went to a highly selective school and it has pushed him higher than I would have ever imagined. And he loves it! He gets a lot of pride and esteem from doing well there.

Swipe left for the next trending thread