Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

SW London Private and Grammar Schools Waiting Lists (Y7 2023 entry)

359 replies

Limebasilico · 14/02/2023 09:00

Following the private and grammar school exam threads, I am starting this one for those with waiting list places. May be helpful to hear if and when waiting lists begin to move.

We had some offers and some WL places. We have released the offers we are not taking and waiting for a place on the Reeds WL.

Hoping for movement after offer holder days (next week), national schools offer day (1st March) and offer acceptance dates (circa 9/10th March).

OP posts:
Groundhogday2021 · 03/03/2023 19:36

I seem to remember a friend told me that the Head (and previous HM) has always made a personal telephone call to offer to waitlist candidates tbh.
it’s a pity they haven’t got it right but I have friends there that love it and it’s a good fit for lots of kids. I hope everyone looking for a place there off the WL are successful.

QuiteAJourney · 03/03/2023 19:30

@Groundhogday2021 Similar story on at our school historically, ratio is usually 1 offer taken per 4-5 offers made (with fluctuation depending on the year). Difference this year is that they seem to have taken less kids to round 2 and that the only ones that have had offers are those that had it as a fallback (in some case, together with others).

By being 'in trouble' I mean that the combination of getting a higher percentage of rejections than above and having a deadline after most people have settled means that it is more difficult to forecast and increase the risk of not being as full as they expect ... which would explain the direct engagement by HM on a Friday evening for a school that has been quite aloof during the whole process.

PS It has not helped that people got offers with the wrong names on it, or that the comments in the offer letters seems to be identikit... Quite sad, as we really liked IPS and it was one of our favourites at the start of this process.

Groundhogday2021 · 03/03/2023 19:21

QuiteAJourney
Our prep school always had lots of offers (in the teens) each year for Ibstock and only 2 or 3 ever took them. I don’t think the school see that as being ‘in trouble’ as they expect it. It is a reflection of parents using it as a back up school and the school know that so they always go to WL.

QuiteAJourney · 03/03/2023 19:16

Limebasilico · 03/03/2023 19:11

Offers are being made from the Ibstock WL?

I think so. It would not surprise me if they are in trouble - we know of at least 6 kids in my DD's prep with an offer, none of them has taken it.

Limebasilico · 03/03/2023 19:11

Offers are being made from the Ibstock WL?

OP posts:
Tolacar · 03/03/2023 18:58

Yes some schools offer a 14 day cooling off period and it will be in the contract but only at distance (email, post) so not going into the school and handing forms and cheque over (no face to face). Not all offer this and I would check your contracts.

NWmum12 · 03/03/2023 18:49

Yarnie · 03/03/2023 18:45

It doesn’t depend on T&Cs. It’s governed by legislation and the Distance Selling Regulations. T&Cs are relevant, though. They need to tell you that you can cancel up to 14 days after accepting (if it’s a distance contract). If they don’t, I believe you can cancel at any time in the next 12 months.

I must be confused.. Thank you. I need to read the contract carefully.

Yarnie · 03/03/2023 18:45

NWmum12 · 03/03/2023 18:37

I see. It depends on T&C. Thank you for your help.

It doesn’t depend on T&Cs. It’s governed by legislation and the Distance Selling Regulations. T&Cs are relevant, though. They need to tell you that you can cancel up to 14 days after accepting (if it’s a distance contract). If they don’t, I believe you can cancel at any time in the next 12 months.

NWmum12 · 03/03/2023 18:40

Lurkingbutinterested · 03/03/2023 18:38

Depends on the terms of the offer. Please don’t assume anything as the schools all differ!

I understood. Thank you

Lurkingbutinterested · 03/03/2023 18:38

NWmum12 · 03/03/2023 18:33

According to my understanding, if you receive an offer from A and pay a deposit to A. then within 14days if you are offered from another school B and considering accepting B's offer, you can ask A to cancel and get refund the deposit. is it right?

Depends on the terms of the offer. Please don’t assume anything as the schools all differ!

NWmum12 · 03/03/2023 18:37

Shiningsun · 03/03/2023 18:36

Not always. Depends on the school and every school is different.

I see. It depends on T&C. Thank you for your help.

Yarnie · 03/03/2023 18:37

NWmum12 · 03/03/2023 18:33

According to my understanding, if you receive an offer from A and pay a deposit to A. then within 14days if you are offered from another school B and considering accepting B's offer, you can ask A to cancel and get refund the deposit. is it right?

If you entered into the contract at a distance (e.g. via email, post, etc) then, yes, I think that’s right.

Daydreamscometrue · 03/03/2023 18:37

Ibstock waiting list is moving.

Shiningsun · 03/03/2023 18:36

Not always. Depends on the school and every school is different.

NWmum12 · 03/03/2023 18:33

According to my understanding, if you receive an offer from A and pay a deposit to A. then within 14days if you are offered from another school B and considering accepting B's offer, you can ask A to cancel and get refund the deposit. is it right?

momomamiko · 03/03/2023 17:32

momomamiko · 03/03/2023 13:58

A friend received an email from St Paul's yesterday that their DS is now on reserve list. Guessing uptake on offers was low and that they had to expand WL which is surprising. Anyone else received an email?

Cant delete but pls disregard this post as it apparently was a misunderstanding.

momomamiko · 03/03/2023 17:31

@Justlikingit
Oops - just called to check. Apparently he was on reserve all along - my bad. Deleting the post.

QuiteAJourney · 03/03/2023 15:32

Jumpingjackjack · 03/03/2023 15:22

Emanuel must have got their offer/acceptance ratio spot on this year then! Last year quite a few children on their WL from our school got offers (before the acceptance deadline date as well)

Quite a few people accepting / rejecting only today. I think that Emanuel maybe cautious while they await final numbers.

Lolakath19 · 03/03/2023 15:30

Ok so fingers crossed then :) thanks

UKMum2021 · 03/03/2023 15:29

Lolakath19 · 03/03/2023 15:27

Does anyone know if G&L has started to go through their WL? My DD best friend is waiting ..

She should have got an update email from G&L this morning.

Lolakath19 · 03/03/2023 15:27

Does anyone know if G&L has started to go through their WL? My DD best friend is waiting ..

Jumpingjackjack · 03/03/2023 15:22

Emanuel must have got their offer/acceptance ratio spot on this year then! Last year quite a few children on their WL from our school got offers (before the acceptance deadline date as well)

Limebasilico · 03/03/2023 15:10

Emanuel and Harrodian have soared in popularity over the last few years.

OP posts:
Justlikingit · 03/03/2023 15:02

momomamiko · 03/03/2023 13:58

A friend received an email from St Paul's yesterday that their DS is now on reserve list. Guessing uptake on offers was low and that they had to expand WL which is surprising. Anyone else received an email?

Is this someone who had received an outright rejection?

Limebasilico · 03/03/2023 14:40

Just had the same confirmed for Emanuel.

OP posts:
Swipe left for the next trending thread