Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Anyone else stuck in waiting list limbo?

133 replies

AmeliaEarhart · 08/04/2022 18:16

… And haven’t gone the appeals process? We were offered our third choice school back in March 1st. DH and I are happy enough; it’s not perfect but has enough going for it that we’d be okay with DS going there (walking distance, good facilities, great SEN support) but DS is completely against the idea. He has ASD and can be extremely rigid so we’ll be in for a tough time changing his mind. It doesn’t help that only one other child from his class at primary is going there.

So he’s on the waiting list for choices 1 and 2. Number 19 for school 1 and 9 for school 2. Neither is straight forward as both schools have multiple waiting lists (1st choice because it’s an academy and faith school with different admissions paths, and second choice because it has a banded intake). Everyone keeps assuring us that, being in central London, they’ll be lots of movement before September and DS might still be offered a place at either school. We didn’t consider appealing as our reasons for preferring schools 1 and 2 (other than DS’s insistence that he’s not setting foot in school 3) are that they have better results, which doesn’t seem like a strong argument!

Is anyone else in a similar situation? How are you feeling about it? Are you prepared to hang on in there until September, hoping until the bitter end for a place at your first choice, or preparing your child (and yourself) to settle for what you’ve got?

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
MadBonkers · 27/09/2022 20:20

@waiting2022 i agree, you know your child best and you have to do what’s best for her. FWIW I wouldn’t move my DS now if we got that call, all through the summer holidays I would have gladly accepted but not now he’s finding his feet and making friends. Your DD is a bright girl and with supportive parents putting her needs first she’ll do amazingly well at her current school I’m sure.

mumobsessedwithdamp · 27/09/2022 20:18

We got an offer the same day as you and my son started today at the new school. We had a similar dilemma but in the end we thought that long term the new school would be a better fit (as it specialises in the subjects my son likes). But I am not fully confident we have done the right thing, time will tell! I hope whatever decision you make your daughter settles.

ColdHappyBap · 27/09/2022 20:13

I think you know your child best. If she's not desperate to move and you're not unhappy with the school it is potentially a big change. The people I know who moved after the start of term it was because the child really wanted to.

waiting2022 · 27/09/2022 19:00

We are leaning towards not accepting. I think a bright child will do well anywhere and not sure a move now is worth the upheaval and stress it would cause my DD.

MadBonkers · 27/09/2022 18:49

Have you made a decision yet @waiting2022? Please do come back and let us know.

PrudenceDudence · 27/09/2022 18:29

@waiting2022 What’s the school like that she’s currently at?
I think moving an anxious 11 year old is a mistake, she’s obviously a bright girl let her continue to be one of the best in her class rather than middle of the road at a competitive grammar.

Meadowbreeze · 27/09/2022 07:28

@waiting2022 I just read the post above mine and if it's possibly latymer, I would move her. In fact, any grammar in N London wouldn't even let her in from the waiting list if she wasn't good enough. Latymer is much less pressured than many a comp in that area. It's very chilled and she will fit in so quickly! She will find lots of like minded kids and they all travel so get to know each other on busses etc. She will love it. If it's latymer I'd move without hesitation. Somewhere like Henrietta Barnett? Probably same to be honest. They just don't get a space if they aren't good enough, even from waiting list.

PrudenceDudence · 27/09/2022 07:24

@waiting2022 looking at your older posts I can see you mention that the grammar school is in North London so therefore a super selective. As brutal as it sounds I’d be asking myself why she didn’t make it through on 1st March. If she was tutored then you need to be sure she’s up for the pressurised environment. I say this as a former pupil of a girls grammar school in North London. I sailed through primary school a confident child who was used to being one of the top in my class. Only to have all of that disappear at secondary school. It wasn’t until I got to university when I was in a more mixed group again that I realised I was actually pretty smart. My advice would be to think about it very carefully! Good luck!

Meadowbreeze · 27/09/2022 07:00

@waiting2022 what are the reasons they're not settling? Is there something they hate about it? And really, few year 7s are settled at this point in the year, I really wouldn't worry about that.
Is the current school oversubscribed? If worst come to the worst could they go to the Grammar and if its a total flop come back?

waiting2022 · 27/09/2022 06:57

My child hasn’t settled in their current school, but is an anxious child, so not sure if a move now would cause us even more issues. Plus the move would be to a grammar school, so a more pressurised environment. 😩

hayh · 27/09/2022 06:52

Wow! A big decision for you.l, especially if your child has settled well into the allocated school, good luck. Let us know what you decide x

Feetache · 26/09/2022 23:40

Notice. We also have kids moving forms etc No issue

Feetache · 26/09/2022 23:39

As I said before, in our area (city) loads don't turn up in Sept. There's quite a bit of shuffling. I know a lot who put school A were actually impressed by School B once started, to the point they turned down School A when offered. People at no35+ turn get offered places.
In Yr7 friends are so fluid the kids won't not

Meadowbreeze · 26/09/2022 22:58

@ColdHappyBap same in our school. Clubs starting Monday. Honestly don't think the year 7s would even notice if someone new started. Half of them don't know each others names.

MadBonkers · 26/09/2022 22:52

@waiting2022 so frustrating that you didn’t get this call 4 weeks ago! I think it all depends on your DD. Is she the sort of child that adjusts easily to change, if she is I’d say go for it. If she struggles then it could be unsettling to move her.

ColdHappyBap · 26/09/2022 22:45

@Meadowbreeze has a point about the kids not knowing each other yet. At ours the clubs are only just starting up and it all still feels very new. I think anyone joining now would slot in fine. There are five years ahead for all our DC, versus the 3 weeks done so far.

ColdHappyBap · 26/09/2022 22:43

waiting2022 · 26/09/2022 22:40

Not sure, it’s really difficult to make a move now.

Yes I can imagine, things must be feeling quite settled? You have to start balancing the initial disruption versus whether long term it would still be better. Are you and your DC feeling happy with the current school?

Meadowbreeze · 26/09/2022 22:42

@waiting2022 You're barely a month in. If it's the school you really wanted, I'd move. Before half term the kids don't even know everyone in their year.

ColdHappyBap · 26/09/2022 22:40

ColdHappyBap · 26/09/2022 22:40

15 kids wouldn’t need to leave for that to happen. People are less inclined to move once school starts. You just need one kid to leave and then the 14 people ahead of you on the list to turn it down as you did.

This was meant to be quoting @Harridan1981.

waiting2022 · 26/09/2022 22:40

Not sure, it’s really difficult to make a move now.

ColdHappyBap · 26/09/2022 22:40

15 kids wouldn’t need to leave for that to happen. People are less inclined to move once school starts. You just need one kid to leave and then the 14 people ahead of you on the list to turn it down as you did.

ColdHappyBap · 26/09/2022 22:33

Oh wow, that’s quite far in to be offered. Are you going to accept it? I know someone who accepted a place beginning of last week and is very happy they did.

waiting2022 · 26/09/2022 21:40

We got offered a place today from the waiting list.

Harridan1981 · 08/09/2022 15:08

We got an email in March saying a space had come up. Bearing in mind we were around #15 ok the list, that's a lot to leave in the first year.

We declined obviously

MadBonkers · 07/09/2022 20:54

It must have been an unsettling summer@waiting2022 I know I found the last 6 months painful as I got so wrapped up in WL movement! I hope your DD’s week is going well and she’s enjoying her new school.

Swipe left for the next trending thread