Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

St Pauls 13+ vs Westminster 13+ vs KCS 11+

56 replies

SARTN · 14/02/2021 02:42

Please can anyone advise with above school offers St Pauls 13+ (offer received) Westminster 13+ (pending results) and KCS 11+(offer received) - what are your opinions about these school choices. Very nice dilemma to be in and with no options of visiting school before deadline 5/3/21 was wondering if anyone can share their thoughts and experience.

OP posts:
SARTN · 05/03/2021 09:35

Westminster it is for us!!!! I can't believe when you have all this top schools as a choice I thought we should be happy to choose but it ended up to be soo stressful at home re worrying making a wrong choice. My son was even tearful to school saying he had he heart sat to westminster but we kept asking him about KCS (yes he was on waiting list for 2 years and it is strange how he suddenly doesn't want to accept the offer). So we decided he remains at his prep for next 2 years and moves to westminster in 2023. We look forward to joining him in his journey in westminster. Thank you for all the support in this thread....very helpful. Finally my head is clearer and house is relaxed and not stress and tensed. Gosh never expected this period of decision to be like this....no one warned us. We were only prepared that if you don't get certain schools to get our son prepared etc. I believe we have made a right decision....only time will tell now.

OP posts:
Jumpalicious · 05/03/2021 09:29

@SARTN what have you decided?

Skatingpark97 · 04/03/2021 18:11

@PeppaPercy , you can forget the refund but of course you can accept pay 2 deposits for 13+ and decide nearer the time. Perhaps run it past your prep school head first. Well done to your ds.

PeppaPercy · 04/03/2021 16:57

Since many (most?) schools will refund acceptance deposits within 9-12 months, what does everyone think about accepting two 13+ offers now to buy time to figure out where to go, until school visits become possible again? Is that what the refund policy is for? Really difficult to ask DS choose between schools he hasn't visited.

SARTN · 28/02/2021 16:43

@Jumpalicious yes done it but just need to amend it with the additional info from this thread.
thanks again

OP posts:
SARTN · 28/02/2021 14:24

@Jumpalicious yes done that and will need to make amendments will all the additional info from this thread. thank you very much

OP posts:
SARTN · 28/02/2021 12:49

@Jumpalicious thank you. I have done that but probably can do amendments from all the additional discussions from this thread. thanks again

OP posts:
Jumpalicious · 28/02/2021 10:59

@SARTN have you done a pen and paper list of pros and cons? Sometimes that is the only way. List all the + and - for each school. Go with the school that has more +s. If the lists are absolutely equal, then let your son decide.

You can’t go wrong with either school.

SARTN · 28/02/2021 03:23

@njshore thank you...yes i am trying to read all the terms and condition. I am just puzzled how sometimes you hear negative feedback from parents at Westminster but actually never from the boys currently studying there as all who I have spoken to seem to be enjoying it.
I really don't know if westminster will allow this idea of move to KCS than to westminster - i will need to write to them if this is a consideration to see what westminster has to say about this. Chances also are my son might like KCS and not want to move.
But moving schools like this might not be a good idea.....really overthinking this i think....hard decision.

I appreciate for those coming out and giving positive info about Westminster - as always negatives are spoken out and positives not mentioned.

Thanks again for helping me

OP posts:
njshore · 28/02/2021 00:31

Actually, for Westminster offer, you have at least one year to decide and get 100% of your deposit (to hold your place) back if you decide not to go. Then six months later, they'll ask for another deposit (traditional) that is refunded after your son leaves the school.

So conceivably, you can go to KCS at 11+ and then switch two years later but this move would be very unusual and frowned upon by both schools.

If he's very academic, then I'd say go for WS. Kids travel from all over London, some at least 1hr each way. He can also choose to board at any time if he doesn't want to commute. Many kids do this at 6th Form.

Lastly, the reason for Saturday school is that 2 of the weekdays are half-days for "Stations" (sports) so they make up the lost academic classes on Saturdays.

SARTN · 27/02/2021 20:03

@talksunderwater i think i found how to PM you - hope you received it

OP posts:
SARTN · 27/02/2021 20:03

@enoughisenough2021 i agree with you and i don't have any issue with current prep school. only reason this option came to my mind is KCS is half the journey to his current prep and also if he is in KCS and doesnt want to move at 13 that will be fine, but worried if I will regret the Westminster option and since we have time for deadlines??????
but i don't know if this is allowed (i know people saying they have done in to grammer than private) but now offers states reference from current prep schools so i am not sure at all...if this is still an option.
my thoughts jumping from pillar to post
thanks for your input to this thread....i cannot tell you how much i appreciate others opinion to gain insight into these school to help with decision

OP posts:
Enoughisenough2021 · 27/02/2021 19:58

[quote SARTN]@Jumpalicious - yes he did attend KCS offer holder virtual class and also I did attend the parents evening talk. Nothing similar has been arranged by westminster or SPS but might be because these 2 schools we did 13 + so there is time for decision.
I am contemplating writing and asking if we can move to KCS for 2 years than to westminster.....as offer letter states reference from current prep school so not sure what they will say[/quote]
Wouldn’t it be far better to stay at the prep for 2 years and then go to Westminster. Would be very hard for your DS to leave KCS at 13 when barely anyone else would be ( maybe the odd boy who’s been there since 7) and I don’t think would be favourably looked on by either school although they probably can’t technically stop you doing it.

SARTN · 27/02/2021 19:27

@Talksunderwater - I can't figure out how to PM you....i will really appreciate a discussion with you.

OP posts:
SARTN · 27/02/2021 19:26

@Jumpalicious - yes he did attend KCS offer holder virtual class and also I did attend the parents evening talk. Nothing similar has been arranged by westminster or SPS but might be because these 2 schools we did 13 + so there is time for decision.
I am contemplating writing and asking if we can move to KCS for 2 years than to westminster.....as offer letter states reference from current prep school so not sure what they will say

OP posts:
Talksunderwater · 27/02/2021 18:14

@SARTN we struggled with this choice and went with WS and no regrets. Pm me if you’d like.

Jumpalicious · 27/02/2021 06:43

The challenge exam comment made me chuckle. He sounds like a lovely bright kid.

Did he/you attend the kings offer holders eve the other day? What did he think? Has there been similar at W?

Could he even do two years at KCS and transfer to W at 13...
Sorry, that’s probably not helping...

In terms of teaching, I also get the impression that K is more trad when compared to W. But I expect the more off piste stuff at W is only possible because they also go to school on a sat. So essentially W do all the trad stuff too, they just have more time to play with. I’d rather keep saturdays free for our own off piste stuff - -lie ins- -.

SARTN · 27/02/2021 06:36

#Jumpalicious thanks for your thoughts. KCS is much closer to us. Westminster will be public transport travel or might involve a move closer to school (which we don't mind doing if this is the school he wants to be in). St Pauls he didn't like due to a bad interview experience, first negative impression that i can't seem to restore despite all efforts (i will not blame the school as it was online and it had to be how it had to be). We even had 1 hour 1 to 1 with head of admissions and my son still has SPS on his 3rd preference. I hear teaching style is also different at westminster being more research and independent learning compared to the more traditional teaching way at KCS (which i prefer but as it is not me going to school i can only put this info across to my son to choose). I think he wants to take the challenge exam at westminster another reason that is pulling his thoughts to westminster, he doesn't see saturday school as a negative and thinks it is positive (i really don't know how). He knows westminster is scattered campus and city life and KCS all in one site. I struggle to know if I should leave the decision to him and just guide with all the info or actually steer him towards my preference (actually I am confused myself and can't make up my mind) ....arrrgghhh

OP posts:
Jumpalicious · 27/02/2021 06:25

Apologies: too early! I see your son doesn’t want sp. in that case, remove that one. Makes life easier. It’s now between KCS and WUS.

Qu: why does your son not like the idea of SP? The answer may help to decide which of the other two is the better fit...

Jumpalicious · 27/02/2021 06:23

@SARTN we also dropped Hampton. Your son has the top three schools there. All excellent. All fast paced. All excellent teaching.

How to pick? I’ve gone for the school closest to us (K). But I’d be delighted with all.

Westminster- be aware of Saturday school. Consider: Central London location of W, vs quiet vibe of Kings.

If there’s nothing in it, in terms of travel, then why not st p, if that’s where your son wants to go.

11+ vs 13+. Depends on how good his prep is. Will it get him ready to move to W or SP.

You have a dilemma, albeit a v good one!

SARTN · 27/02/2021 00:21

Dilemma of Westminster13+ and KCS 11+?
Anyone who can share more thoughts into this and opinion?
We had dropped Hampton and my son is not very keen on St Pauls 13 i don't know why - he just doesn't feel it's right for him

OP posts:
Jumpalicious · 15/02/2021 20:08

@SARTN 11+, didn’t apply to Westminster because I wasn’t sure my son would get into one of the top 3, let alone two of them! Not at a prep, and so didn’t get that sort of feedback... if I had my (his) time again, I’d have gone for both. Probably still go for kings, though, but only because it’s near(ish) to us. I realise (now, after a lot of time thinking, ha) that distance is a big deciding factor.

SARTN · 15/02/2021 15:04

@jumpalicious my son always had Kings as his first option but suddenly after the whole 11/13+ process he seem to have changed and after results seem to be swaying towards Westminter (the surprising thing is we don't even have the results for Westminster), Your son has chosen KCS 11+ or 13+ ? Did you apply for westminster?

OP posts:
SARTN · 15/02/2021 15:02

@Fbmd1 - we had interview on 28/1/21 and we received results by post on 9/2/21

OP posts:
Jumpalicious · 15/02/2021 14:04

Ah sorry, no - I see his swaying to Westminster. Well, it’s a fantastic school!