Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Tearing my hair out over State boarding

287 replies

Teddingtonmum1 · 03/10/2013 23:30

As I'm a single mum with a demanding job , I have decided to look into state boarding preferably weekly if I can get my ds a place . Christs hospital is my number 1 choice due to the bursary and it's a great school ( my brother is an old blue so slightly biased ) am also looking at RAAs in Reigate and Gordon's in Woking got open days at both saturday and next thursday out of the 2 would prefer Gordon's as a fall back if we cant get into CH , but have been advised that I can claim tax credits towards the 'childcare ' bill .

Have quizzed Gordon's as to chances of getting in I live in teddington so the right side of London but they said it obviously depends on siblings etc .( no really fair if you only have one can see why there's sibling priority in primary but not at secondary as kids get themselves to school but those are the rules ) am a little hopeful to read someone got in last year from east London ? any thoughts about gordons ??? im just about tearing my hair out as need a boarding place otherwise my sond going to be forced to become a latch key kid which I don't want HELP !!!!

OP posts:
happygardening · 15/11/2013 14:15

Another suggestion what about a scholarship/bursary into a boarding prep if he's bright (I don't know what the levels you've quoted mean) with a view to trying to get a place somewhere at 13+. You might be too late but no harm ringing around and asking. If you managed to find somewhere you would probably be expected to make a contribution to the fees can you afford to do this?

friday16 · 15/11/2013 12:32

will definitely appeal

How, and on what possible basis? It isn't a state school. The selective private schools whose admissions I'm somewhat familiar with don't have such a process.

So long as they aren't discriminating on protected characteristics (and even then they have more latitude than an employer does, as single-sex and faith schools are legal) then they can select pupils on any basis they like. They hold an exam. They set a pass mark. They mark the exam and tell people if they've passed or failed. That's the end of it.

Presumably you knew all this before you entered him?

MILLYMOLLYMANDYMAX · 15/11/2013 10:57

Have you ever thought of altering your job. The way it sounds by your post is that you are very busy and the boarding school option would be good for you, nothing about your son wanting to go.
What is wrong with being a latch key kid?

IDontDoIroning · 15/11/2013 08:37

Poor child you're giving him the option to live away from you for 8 or 9 months of the year an his dad of offering him the option to live with him.
Have you thought that he may not be very keen on your idea.
Have you considered he's just not what theses schools are looking for or not able enough.
As many posters have said what gives you the idea that your circumstances are so special to warrant this.
What makes you think the school sympathise with you- they may feel that you are putting too much pressure on your ds and are not considering his emotional welfare
Many many many parents have to make do with their local comp, have various childcare arrangements etc

LIZS · 15/11/2013 08:25

When independent schools have more candidates than places they can easily afford to pick and choose, based on academic performance, sporting or musical ability, social need etc. Feedback may be useful but tbh appealing seems a waste of time . If they were seriously considering him, even as a waiting list candidate, they would say so. It seems as if you are focussing on this as a diversion from the real issue which is your and your ds' relationship with his father and making it "work" in his best interest.

There are other options which you appear to be dismissing. One would be finding a prep school to take him for year 7 and 8 and reapplying to a wider range of schools (possibly including CH if that is their feedback) for 13+ entry but by then you wouldn't need After School Care/Holiday cover in the same way and a different set of issues will present themselves.

Labro · 15/11/2013 08:16

Its a difficult one.

Schools cannot become mediators between parents in this situation, simply because parental responsibility lays out what each parent can expect regardless of living arrangements, access etc.

Also, if you think about it, every single student sitting the exam could cite some kind of pressure as to why they didn't perform on the day, be it parents disagreeing, difficult travel arrangements, anxiety, or even if they have a sibling already there or a parent is an 'old blue' the pressure could equally prove too much for a child.

So, any conversation should focus on any possible gap between his current levels and how he did in the CH exam, not finding reasons for a different performance.

Teddingtonmum1 · 15/11/2013 00:20

Thanks HG am going to go and have a word with his head teacher tomorrow and see if he could have a conversation with them regarding the reasons his dad has been putting so much pressure onto him recently telling him that his not happy for him to go I'm concerned that he has flunked it on purpose. I understand they can't give everyone war and peace explanation but even if they gave scores so you would know you didn't make the cut then move on or maybe his just can't handle doing exams. who knows I'm so exhusted I don't know if I'm coming or going . Will sleep on it ....

OP posts:
Wuldric · 15/11/2013 00:12

I think, OP, you need to relax a bit. You've pursued this single objective of boarding without fully considering other options. Now this objective is starting to look a bit more remote, it might be time to take the blinkers off and see what you might realistically be able to do.

  1. Please at least think about an AP/Mother's help and investing in supplementary tuition etc after school. It is much cheaper than boarding school and you will have cover in the holidays.
  1. Please think about your ExH having custody. He seems to be willing and there is hardly any difference between him having custody and your DS going to boarding school, is there?
  1. Please think about changing the nature of your work. Working flexibly somewhere so that your DS can attend the local school and you can be there a little more for him.
  1. Many children succeed through state education. It just requires motivation and that is innate and not learned. If that's what it has to be then that's what it is. Best not start your DS thinking that this is second best etc and imbuing him with negative feelings about the school he may have to attend.

But most of all please relax a little. There is so much tension in every single one of your posts. You must be tired.

happygardening · 14/11/2013 23:48

I too am sorry to read your DS wasn't successful at CH. I'm surprised your allowed to appeal but if you are can you find out why they turned him down in the first place before appealing. If it was because others had greater needs then I think your probably wasting your time.
Harrow does a scholarship thing aimed at boys from the state sector the Beckwith scholarship or something similar they pay prep fees for yrs 7 and 8 then fees whist at Harrow you might have missed the boat but it's worth looking into it.

Teddingtonmum1 · 14/11/2013 19:12

It does say that you can appeal I will probably send an email for some feedback but maybe its just not meant to be and I need to accept it I know someone else who applied who has a high boarding need but isnt academic as my DS and needs 100% bursary so will see if they get offered. am off to pour a large vodka am just so gutted for him no doubt his dad will be celebrating when he hears the news.

OP posts:
RandomMess · 14/11/2013 18:57

Sorry that he didn't get offered a place on the 2 day assessment. My understanding is that they literally just draw a line and invite the top (say 250) to the next stage.

Remember it is their own test and they are looking for potential not just where they are now. It's all about who else they are competing against on the day IYWSIM.

Labro · 14/11/2013 18:55

Haven't ever heard of an appeals procedure at CH. I do know that you can ask for feedback. The thing being is that he might of done absolutely nothing 'wrong' but others on the day performed better/differently/had a different level of boarding need. It all depends on the cohort hes tested against rather than individual performance on its own.

Teddingtonmum1 · 14/11/2013 18:51

will definitely appeal but am more worried that DS confidence will be totally knocked he has another exam for reeds in jan am now even more stressed arghhh

OP posts:
derektheladyhamster · 14/11/2013 18:37

CH admissions seem to be a law unto themselves. A child of an old blue didn't get get in even though he was working at a level 8 in maths a few years ago.

mary21 · 14/11/2013 18:24

Sorry to hear that. What about Halliford. Some from Teddington go there. They offer Bursaries and the boys we know there are on the train at 7.30 and don't get back till 7pm as there seems to be a lot of after school sport. Would fit around most working days

Teddingtonmum1 · 14/11/2013 17:49

just got the letter he didn't make it , I'm planning to appeal I can't believe a child working at level 6 has not even been considered for the 2nd round am wondering if its to do with the bursary needed ? Or he messed it up on the day Am totally devastated is it worth appealing ?

OP posts:
Labro · 14/11/2013 13:27

Thats true that it would have to be a seperate case.

Though all judges talk in terms of residence and access rather than custody, which was why I wondered if you have a residence order or whether it comes under 'voluntary residence' with your ex having a defined order for access. This is what I have as court followed the no order principle when deciding ds primary residence.

This may have a bearing on a specific issue, particularly with regard to school decisions and even more so when relating it to a full boarding school if your ex states in court that hes willing for your ds to stay at his house.

I wasn't thinking in terms of full custody, more that its becoming more usual for courts to think in terms of shared residence (this isn't custody or co parenting) where the childs residence is considered to be equal between both parents.

Its not that unusual for non resident parents not to have 'blocks' of time, what are your exes access times at the moment, mine has never seen ds for more than 5 days at one time as hes not allowed, but does have every other weekend. Make sure you have a clear plan as to how your exes access will continue as normally as possible if your ds does get into CH as the judge will definitely be looking for evidence that youaren't shutting the dad out of the childs life.

I digress, there will be many decisions depending on the outcome of the specific issue, stay calm, am sure if you've been to court 4 times (as have I) then the Reeds interview will go fine.

Any news from CH as yet?

Teddingtonmum1 · 14/11/2013 12:26

yes I have sole custody and his father has access unless he gets brave and thinks his going to go for custody but the Judge won't entertain hearing about that at this hearing he'll have to file his own paperwork and bloody pay and his chance of full custody is slim to none he hasn't had his son for more than 10 days in a row EVER ....

OP posts:
Teddingtonmum1 · 14/11/2013 12:21

The court case is the specific issue order so that the court will award me the right to make decisions regarding our sons schooling without having to consult my ex . So effectively relinquishing his rights over this issue.
This is my 4th time in court , so I am well versed as to how totally emotionally draining it is the last time I went home to bed and a vodka.
He was offered a chance to co parent he chose not to yet he feels that he can dictate that I can't send him to CH but he is offering no alternative !!!! It beggers belief especially all the hard work my DS been doing.

got reeds parents interview next month am crapping it I don't want to let him down and come over as a loony mother !!. but I fear its too late

OP posts:
Labro · 13/11/2013 15:59

Sorry you haven't heard.
What is court case for?
Can I ask do you have an order stating that you have sole custody?
Be aware that judge won't want to listen to what you think his dad is doing wrong and may consign your feelings as 'historical' - just giving you a heads up as it can be difficult to deal with on the day. If he is applying for joint access then it will be seriously considered as its often used now where it hasn't been previously.
I've got a parent interview later in the year, so will be picking your brains lol

Teddingtonmum1 · 13/11/2013 00:40

Still patrolling the letter box for news regarding ch first round of exams
Am totally frazzled got court with Disney dad next week who has told ds that mean mummy is not going to get away with sending him away and ds is going to come and live with him and new gf , which as the parent with sole custody is news to me am trying not to rise to any bait before court especially when daddy took ds out house hunting last weekend for a new home to play happy families in , im just waiting for him to come home with a puppy next. This is the same man who has never had his child for more than 10 days ever in his life and hasn't been up to the school in 2 years yet all of a sudden when he has someone to impress ( new gf) his is daddy of the year NOT .

Plus also got parental interview at reeds next month, if anyone has any tips or has been through one any help would be gratefully recieved!!

Help ..... !!!

OP posts:
Teddingtonmum1 · 06/11/2013 18:02

Well not long now , will be patrolling the letterbox from Monday for the results , fingers crossed for January invitation. good luck to you too.

OP posts:
derektheladyhamster · 06/11/2013 09:43

He is loving it. It is a very academic school though, my ds2, who has just sat the admissions for fairness's sake, is not particularly academic, so I don't think it is the school for him.

Teddingtonmum1 · 05/11/2013 23:45

Did they settle quickly ? I'm guessing they must be loving it , not long now admissions panel meeting tomorrow decision by early next week .....
Reeds open day this weekend as well so it's all go .....

OP posts:
derektheladyhamster · 03/11/2013 11:25

Yes, my eldest is in yr 9

Swipe left for the next trending thread