Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Bursary waiting list-any chance?

67 replies

ariane5 · 03/03/2013 17:30

Dd1 was offered a full fee paying place at a wonderful school which we loved but we had applied for a bursary.

She is on the bursary waiting list but we have not heard back from the school so I assume it means she has no chance of a place?[Sad]

Has anybody ever been on a bursary list and gone on to get one?

OP posts:
Coconutty · 03/03/2013 18:16

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ariane5 · 03/03/2013 18:13

I just cannot see how we couldn't have met any criteria we had to supply every bit of paperwork in the world!

We have a council house so no possibility of realising money from re mortgaging, bank acc very overdrawn, we have huge debts, no family who could help with fees etc would the dla have affected it as it looks a lot on paper but ob goes on dcs and their various needs.

If I could I would work in order to pay the fees but I have to care for dcs so can't.

I just don't really understand how we might not have met the criteria

OP posts:
LIZS · 03/03/2013 18:10

I hope dd doesn't feel she has failed ?

ariane5 · 03/03/2013 18:08

I was just surprised dd did well enough to pass and get offered a place but no bursary and our finances are really dire.

I guess it is just bad luck and perhaps this year a lot of people applied.

OP posts:
LIZS · 03/03/2013 18:07

There is little point speculating. She obviously did well enough but somehow the criteria for the bursary - at any level - weren't met. Those criteria should have been stated up front, if there has been a misunderstanding then you need to have it cleared up, but if you have been given false hope then is that really a school ethos you want to participate in anyway ? I've not come across a "wait list" for bursary places. Once allocated they are usually either taken up or the money returns to the pot for fresh applications, such as existing pupils, or occasionally to up other offers if they really want the pupil.

Coconutty · 03/03/2013 18:07

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Picturesinthefirelight · 03/03/2013 18:05

Someone I know told me she just turned down an academic and sporting scholarship for her dd as she subsequently got an offer from another school who they just preferred the feel of.

Coconutty · 03/03/2013 18:05

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ariane5 · 03/03/2013 18:03

Perhaps dd1 just didn't do well enough in tests, she did pass them and got offer of full fee place.

I did worry beforehand as we couldn't get her a tutor, I can only think it was that. She did her best though and still passed so I am proud of her.

OP posts:
LIZS · 03/03/2013 18:00

Call them tomorrow .

ariane5 · 03/03/2013 17:59

I just can't see how we didn't meet the criteria.

We have no savings at all, dh job is not well paid and our 4 dcs are all in receipt of dla.we have nothing at all so financially we are very badly off.that's why I was so surprised we got nothing I really had all my hopes pinned on a place.

OP posts:
LIZS · 03/03/2013 17:56

You need to speak to the Bursar. If funds are limited then he/she will have made the decisions with Admissions and will have reviewed your forms. The fact that they haven't followed it up suggests to me that you were not meeting priority criteria for one in which case you possibly hope in vain.

ariane5 · 03/03/2013 17:52

Have not even spoken to a bursar-only the admissions secretary every time I have phoned. Tbh I had been expecting things like a home visit/bursary interview but it was just a form.

We were hoping for 100 percent yes.Could possibly stretch to 90 p c lowest but that would be pushing things (although worth it for dd health).

Dd passed the entrance exams hence place offer but other bursary applicants that were offered scored higher than her.

OP posts:
tiggytape · 03/03/2013 17:50

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS · 03/03/2013 17:46

They might if not as much as they hoped for or they were using it as a back up for SS. iirc you are looking for 100% though , which I fear is unlikely if you haven't ben offered anything so far. Did you ask the bursar how often they give that level of bursary ad why you have not met the criteria.

ariane5 · 03/03/2013 17:44

12 noon on 6 march.

Would people really turn down a bursary at an independent school in favour of a state school place though?
I suppose maybe a lot of families will have had offers from other independent schools as well possibly with bigger bursaries?

Dd1 has been offered a SS place too but the ind school is far more suited to her needs (medical issues). I suppose I am just getting my hopes up for nothing was hoping to hear lots of success stories! Never mind

OP posts:
LIZS · 03/03/2013 17:40

when is the acceptance date deadline ? State school allocations are now out so that may bring about any rejection of places. However if school is small presumably number of offers is also small.