Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

decision on 1st March? Anyone want to sit and sweat it out with me?

417 replies

MsIngaFewmarbles · 17/02/2013 17:27

Urgh I am starting to feel queasy. I just want to know now. PFB (dd1) doesn't care which school she gets into and dh is being irritatingly pragmatic.

Is anyone else twitching nervously?

OP posts:
Bati · 18/02/2013 00:13

Massively nervous, thinking about it continuously
Dd sat 2 different 11+ exams and passed them both. 1 of them covered 2 schools so it has given us 3 grammars to choose from.
Our 1st choice allocates on distance and last yr they went to 7.9 miles. We live 7.1 miles away. This yr more children sat the 11+, no idea how many passed so really worried over the distance.
2nd choice is a catholic grammar which allocate to catholic children 1st. We are catholic so pretty sure if we dont get 1st choice she will get this school. 3rd choice was the remaining grammar.
My main worry is my dd fell in love with the 1st choice school and I know she will be heart broken if she doesnt get it
I phoned our school allocations to find out what time I can log on for results and was told half past midnight (12.30am) so will be sitting up to find out.
Hope everyone gets the results they want

tiggytape · 17/02/2013 22:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThreeBeeOneGee · 17/02/2013 22:26

We got the email at about 5pm ish on March 1st (Hertfordshire).

tiggytape · 17/02/2013 22:20

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

xyx · 17/02/2013 22:09

Yes better to accept than not. Good advice, thanks

BoringSchoolChoiceNickname · 17/02/2013 22:02

Accept your offer xyx. If I've learnt anything from MN education threads it is Always Accept Your Offer. Nothing good will come of rejecting it.

Then go on every waiting list you fancy, even if you didn't apply there in the first place. Then wait and pray.

xyx · 17/02/2013 21:52

Hi MsInga, Im fretting a bit now, but nothing we can do. Touch wood (touches head) for you!

Tiggytape, I'm expecting to be in a similar position to you on March 1. Choice 1 is a superselective, 2 is DC1 school; we're going on catchment as there's no sibling policy but we're twice as far away as last year's cut off, so unlikely; DC1 got in on med grounds. Choice 3 is an oversubscribed Church school; we don't fit all the criteria. Choice 4 is our nearest school but so oversubscribed that even 10-15 minutes walk is possibly too far out of catchment. Choice 5 is very nice but too far so I'm not keen even if we did get in and Choice 6 is just ok, better than the others round here so we put it down to avoid them.

What do we do if we get, for example, Choice 5? Do we have to turn it down and go on the other 4 waiting lists? Or can we accept the place, go on the waiting lists and ...wait? Do the schools deal with all this or is it back to the council?

Thanks!

MsIngaFewmarbles · 17/02/2013 21:49

Three did you get the email at midnight or later in the day?

We also have 2 dds in year 4 so this will also determine their education too. I really want them to be at the girls academy.

OP posts:
ThreeBeeOneGee · 17/02/2013 21:35

I went through this two years ago. I managed to hold it together till half term, but then I was pretty much beside myself until we got the email.

This time is not nearly so bad as DS2 will definitely get a place at our first choice school on at least two admissions criteria, possibly three (and we only need one).

sausagesandwich34 · 17/02/2013 21:31

we have a low birth year so pretty likely to get our first choice, our second choice isn't bad and I'm still waiting on a bursary appeal from a v selective indie

doesn't stop me fretting though

dd is more concerned because a large chunk of her friendship group live further away than our first choice state

she's accepted that if she goes to the indie she wont go with her friends, but if she stays local and they end up at different schools she will be upset

SoImpatient80 · 17/02/2013 21:21

My DD1 passed the Kent Test and the GS that is our first choice own test but it'll come down to distance for us so its 50/50 for us. DD1 is quite cool about it and is very much 'I'm happy with getting any of the choices' but she also said she didn't mind either way about the Kent Test and danced all round the kitchen when we got the result that she had passed!! Think shes being brave for me lol

mankyscotslass · 17/02/2013 20:59

I'm a nervous wreck waiting, but Mankyboy1 couldn't care less, and isn't bothered which school he is going to.

tiggytape · 17/02/2013 19:43

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoImpatient80 · 17/02/2013 19:36

I'm counting down the days! DD is quite cool and calm about it and DH is so laid back about it all he's almost horizontal lol. Just so nervous she won't get her first choice and its where she really wants to go! Next 13 days are really going to dddddrrrrrraaaaaagggggg!

MsIngaFewmarbles · 17/02/2013 18:53

To be fair we are lucky in thay we have 2 great schools and a good one as our 3 nearest schools. Our first choice is an academy though so it is a lottery and distance doesn't matter within our LEA. Second choice we are borderline for getting in based on the last 2 years furthest distance. Third one is farthest away and all 3 are massively oversubscribed :( I keep worrying that we will get offered one of the 2 next nearest which are both AWFUL :(

OP posts:
gazzalw · 17/02/2013 18:26

I don't envy you at all. We were at this stage last year and will be again in a four more years for DD. Just hang on in there and don't panic. I know it's easy to say, but it's worth remembering that even if you don't get your first choice school, there's an awful lot of movement in the first month and if you hang on in there you will probably get the outcome you are hoping for! Wink.

ByTheWay1 · 17/02/2013 18:20

Nope - there is a massive chance chez ByTheWay1 that the first choice will be given.... her sister goes there, it is in catchment and her birth year locally is soooooo low that her current class has 20 in - and it is the same at the 6 other feeder schools.... will be a BIG shock if she doesn't get in.....

so not twitching, but available to hand hold and soothe worried brows..... can supply (virtual) lemon drizzle cake too!