Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Please help...In year admissions and more

57 replies

lamoseley · 04/11/2012 10:25

I would appreciate any help or advice that you can offer as I am at my wits end.
My daughter is 13 next month. For the last 2 months she has been bullied by another fellow pupil who she used to be friends with.
It started with name calling, rumours, etc and 4 weeks ago my daughter was physically attacked in school time. It was a very vicious fight and it took two teachers to remove the bully off of my daughter. The school suspended the bully for 6 weeks (This is not the first time the bully has been in trouble) and is due back at school tomorrow but will not be put back into mainstream lessons for a further two weeks.
During this period my daughter has received messages/threats/calls from the bully and her associates.
I have been to the school numerous times to keep them informed and to advise that my daughter is fearful and I am worried for her safety.
They have said anything that happens outside school is a police matter although my daughter does not want that in fear of making things worse.
The bully shows no remorse or intention of backing down and even swore and was abusive to myself the other day.
I feel that I am not happy to send my daughter into school and I am sick with worry. My daughter is good at talking with me and I feel she is putting on a brave face to save my worrying but she has now said she wants to move school.
I have spoken to the grammar school where my son attends (Been very pleased with this school) and they have space within her year group but daughter would need to take an entry exam. 50/50 whether she will pass.
Has anybody else been through a similar experience? I do not know which way to turn.

OP posts:
Sparklingbrook · 04/11/2012 10:52

No. he transferred between 2 High Schools so no entrance exam but they did want to see his school report.

I made an appointment to see the Headteacher, looked round and loved it. DS had a taster day which he loved. He could have started straight away but he had a residential trip booked with the old school so we waited until after that.

The new school is 12 miles away, the old one half a mile away but it had to be done.

lamoseley · 04/11/2012 10:49

Thank you Sparklingbrook for your reply.
We have another school that is approx 6 miles away (Not a problem for me as I would drive her) but my sons school would be my preferred.
Daughter is higher than average on maths but lower than average on english lit and reading.
We do not know what to do first as it was planned for my daughter to go back to school tomorrow and we than send off the forms (IYCAF) and go from there. But as the situation has got worse over the last week and I can see my daughter is withdrawing from her normal self we do not know whether sending her back is the right decision. We do not want her to end up with no school at all.
Did you DS have to sit an an entry exam? How long did the transition take?
Sorry for the questions..I just do not know anyone else who has been in this position and I am trying to think straight as to what to do but when your heart is breaking for your child and your emotional it hard to keep a clear head!
Thank you again for your support.

OP posts:
tiggytape · 04/11/2012 10:42

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

5madthings · 04/11/2012 10:42

my ds1 is also in yr 9 btw.

5madthings · 04/11/2012 10:41

my ds1 starts a new high school tomorrow. not bullying we were just not happy with the school he was at (numerous things including lots of disruption in lessons)

i would let her take the exam, anyway she can do some practise papers? or some kind of preparation?

re moving schools you will find that the admissions office do not like in year changes of school unless you are miving house. its not up to them tho if the gead teacher at the school.you want her to go to is happy for her to go there thats fine (obv she needs to pass the test)

there us a form to fill in for in year cganges, my lea had it online and i did that and then sent emails plus the head teacher at the new school got in touch with the lea to say there was a place and he could start asap.

you have a very strong case with the bullying for immediate transfer so dont let admissions fob you off (they will suggest she doesnt move till after xmas at the earliest)

let her take the exam, doing some prep would be good and good luck xx

SminkoPinko · 04/11/2012 10:41

Your poor daughter.:( I don't take contacting the police lightly but I think I would do so in these circumstances if the school really cannot do any more to help. Do you know the other girl's parents if the girl used to be a friend? It seems astonishing to me that a 6 week suspension hasn't resulted in them coming down on her like a ton of bricks, confiscating phone etc. It's quite a long, serious punishment and surely they would be furious with her?

Are there other non-selective schools you could consider? I would be reluctant to put her through an exam she is not very likely to pass at a point when she is desperate to move schools.

Sparklingbrook · 04/11/2012 10:30

Hello lamoseley. I have a DS in Year 9 and I moved him to a new school in June this year.
It has turned out to be the best thing we ever did.

If I were in your position I would let her take the exam. At least you will know then what your options are. If she doesn't pass are there other school options, even looking further afield maybe?

Swipe left for the next trending thread