Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Has anyone ever moved their DC to a different school and it not worked out?

111 replies

Sparklingbrook · 15/05/2012 17:23

Very briefly, DS (nearly 13) not settled at High School after starting in September. I have looked round a school today that was v nice, has places and seemed more suited.He has friends there. It's 12 miles away though.

Ideally I would like to move him but it's a huge commitment, travel wise.

However if he doesn't settle there-then what? DH not terribly in favour either.

Decisions, decisions. Sigh

OP posts:
Sparklingbrook · 27/05/2012 18:47

Umeboshi, the big 'con' is the new school is 14 miles away but that is my problem not his.

He is in a football team with 6 or 7 of the boys at the new school and they are all great kids.

He suddenly seems very young for a boy who is 13 next month.

OP posts:
Umeboshi · 27/05/2012 18:35

Sparkling, it sounds like his fear of change is holding him back. If his self esteem is low because of not fitting in at school, that can lead to feelings of despondency, and it may feel really hard for him to take positive action.

I would suggest sharing responsibility for the decision. He might feel overwhelmed at the dilemma. And at that age, children are less good at looking ahead into the future -- I think they really do need our guidance.

You need to talk through the pros and cons. What are the cons of moving? Can you get more information from the new school -- e.g. anti-bullying policy? Did your DS feel there were like-minded boys and girls at the new school?

I would guess that last question is the key one ...

Sparklingbrook · 27/05/2012 18:13

northerner I would love a crystal ball. Smile

soonbe he is still struggling with the decision. He says he is rubbish at making decisions and he is worried he will make the wrong one and regret it.

I am at a loss. i don't think he is suddenly going to say 'I have decided'. This is hard. Sad

OP posts:
soonbesailing · 27/05/2012 14:30

Hi Sparkling, hope you have managed to get your son to come to some decision, it is tricky as I think they do have to take responsibility for such a move but you also know that they won't think it through in quite the same way as us parents do.

My DS has been in his new school since the return after the Easter break, he has got used to the new early routine and the long bus journey, I do think the honeymoon/novelty period is coming to an end and he is feeling the effect, at weekends as his old school friends aren't around much, so he is feeling a bit 'billy no mates' but I still think it was the right decision.

He has a school trip towards the end of term and I think he will really get to know his year group at his new school really well and we are thinking in the long term we may even move to be nearer the school, but that would not be for another year or so.

I would also say make the move as soon as possible as its not easy being somewhere if you know you are leaving (remember what it feels like when you decide to change jobs, once you know for sure you are leaving everything changes).

Good luck this week

northenerdownsouth · 27/05/2012 11:34

I know what you mean about ds refusing to talk about it, sometimes I feel like I'm the gestapo trying to get infomation out of my boy, but when it does come out we get tears so obviously he does hold a lot in. :(
Wish we had a crystal ball....

Sparklingbrook · 26/05/2012 17:27

Hi all. Well it's 'decision weekend' and basically DS is doing everything to avoid talking about it. I told him to draw up a list of pros and cons for staying and leaving, but he hasn't done that yet.Sad

DH says to just leave DS be and we can talk about it tomorrow. But from the outside it looks like DS is having a wobble to me. Sad

I refuse to make the decision for him. It has to be his but I am wondering whether he can. Bit different from the euphoria of Thursday after the taster day.

OP posts:
takeonboard · 25/05/2012 14:54

Not Shock at all, we rumbled on for 3 years - the worst 3 years of my life by far!

I think for both of you it is a great feeling when you take control of the situation and are making decisions and changes, I remember feeling very fustrated by the school telling me things will be better next term...and on, and on....

I can only speak from my experience, we accepted the new school place in February but to start in September. I would have rather moved him immediately or at least at Easter, it felt like such a long wait until September. However with hindsight (and the knowledge that it worked out well) it is probably easier to blend into an existing peer group in September when the kids haven't or hardly seen each other all summer, as the friendship groups aren't as tight. You will also be able to boost his self esteem over the summer and you may be able to arrange a couple of get togethers with some potential friends over the summer. My DS was quite relaxed at his old school once he knew that he was leaving, suddenly the comments didn't get to him anymore!

Its difficult to know when is best to move to the new school, but my gut reaction about leaving the existing school would be get him out of there as quickly as possible and cancel the school trip!

I am so pleased for your DS that he has a better option and doesn't have to suffer any longer Smile

Sparklingbrook · 25/05/2012 14:22

Hi Take Smile. Bet you were Shock this is still rumbling on. I feel we are making headway though.

I think he could start in September. the spanner in the works is his trip abroad with existing school mid-June. If he went straight after he would have 4 weeks at new school before summer. WWYD?

OP posts:
takeonboard · 25/05/2012 13:35

hi Sparkling,
I posted on your threads before about the problems your DS was facing at his current school. I moved my DS from his awful school after 3 years of unhappiness which affected our whole family (why did I leave it so long?!)
Anyway he moved last September and hasn't looked back.

we had previously found an alternative school for him but he wobbled about the move and we pulled out. He felt sure he could make it work at his existing school, a year later he was at rock bottom and finally agreed to move (it helped that he fell in love with the new school).
I just wanted to say don't expect your DS to be totally enthusiastic about moving schools, no matter how much he loved the school. He has had a hard time and his self esteem will be very low. He will naturally be having thoughts about the same thing happening again at the new school etc. But in your heart deep down you know that if his current school is wrong for him then the move is essential.

Good luck Smile

lancelottie · 25/05/2012 13:21

I don't think it's up to the head to give a date by which they'll know he's moving, as you will need presumably to apply for an in-year transfer through the LEA (and then wait for them to tell you, infuriatingly slowly, whether X school has a place for him, even though all of you already know this).

Sparklingbrook · 25/05/2012 11:48

Thanks. I have emailed the headmaster and thanked him for the taster day and said how much DS enjoyed it. He wants to know by the end of next week whether DS is transferring.

DS seemed a little bit unsure this morning but I am hoping a day at his current school will put his mind straight.

Also the council says he could get a seat on the school bus if we pay which would be great.

OP posts:
Umeboshi · 25/05/2012 00:09

It's only natural for him to feel nervous -- but fantastic news that it went so well. Sounds like you're giving him great support for his decision.

millpond · 24/05/2012 22:59

That's great news! And it will have done his confidence a lot of good.

sleep well....... Smile

northenerdownsouth · 24/05/2012 20:27

Great to hear that, the worry they put us mums through.... at least you can sleep tonight!! :)

Sparklingbrook · 24/05/2012 19:24

Well, he loved it. He actually said it was awesome. I am so proud of him for doing the day, he was very nervous.

There is still talking to be done and logistical arrangements to be looked into. and I want him to really think about whether this is what he wants to do.

I am exhausted.

OP posts:
Sparklingbrook · 24/05/2012 14:20

Hi northerner, thanks for posting. The decision does seem overwhelming. I am sure there are many of us in this boat TBH.

I think the less confident children sometimes get under the radar and in turn that makes their self esteem worse. I just want to make everything right, but need to carefully consider why it might not be.

Good luck with your school hunt. it's not easy.

I am one hour from a verdict from DS. Shock

OP posts:
northenerdownsouth · 24/05/2012 13:58

Hi Sparkling,
Have been reading these posts with interest and felt the urge to post for the first time ever.
I'm in a similar situation to you and also feeling like I have a huge decision to make and wishing someone else would make it for me. We are visiting another school next week which has a place available but this will probably be snapped up quick as it's a popular school. My son is not at all confident and struggles for find friends and won't know anyone at the new school but I feel if I don't make a decision now then am I just delaying the inevitable. I'm feeling very stressed about pulling a child from a school (they have just gone into special measures) and whether it will work out for the better anywhere else. Anyway just thought I would post and let you know there are people out there reading and empathising....

Sparklingbrook · 24/05/2012 12:47

2 1/2 hours to go.....

OP posts:
Sparklingbrook · 24/05/2012 10:47

Hi millpond, he looked about as nervous as you can get. But he went in and hopefully he is now having a great day. 3.15 can't come soon enough for me though.

OP posts:
millpond · 24/05/2012 08:37

Have a Brew
How was your DS feeling this morning?
Hope he has a great day, let us know how it goes

Sparklingbrook · 24/05/2012 06:49

Gulp.

OP posts:
Sparklingbrook · 23/05/2012 22:11

Yes, I have planned a few things. Otherwise I will be stressing and pacing. Grin

OP posts:
millpond · 23/05/2012 21:27

try to do something fun to take your mind off it tomorrow.
I really hope it goes well, everything else will fall into place if it does and you won't look back Smile

Sparklingbrook · 23/05/2012 21:22

Thanks millpond. I will probably feel better in the morning when I have dropped him off. I am determined not to interrogate him on the way home, tempting as it will be. Smile

OP posts:
millpond · 23/05/2012 20:45

You have done the right thing, because you care. remember you have nothing to lose................and everything to gain.
Good luck to your DS for tomorrow (and to you too!) Smile