Please or to access all these features

Secondary education

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

For those who held onto offers at Eton and Westminster until the last minute.

63 replies

Colleger · 03/05/2012 12:35

Id be interested to know if more parents end up going for Eton in the end and when they relinquished the other place. So I don't agree with holding onto two places but I am resigned to the fact that this happens. So I won't bash anyone for it, I just want to work out how likely my child will move off the waiting list and when it will happen.

OP posts:
interest · 05/05/2012 09:23

I know of one boy (out of 3 in his class) who was promoted from the waiting list in March, having sat a further assessment last November. Otherwise, I understand most parents make their decision in September (a year before entry) as they are under pressure from headmasters to free up places for waiting list boys

Colleger · 04/05/2012 14:40

For all those holding onto a place: ask yourself what school would you have been most upset about not receiving an offer from. The answer should spring to mind pretty quickly and that's your school. Turn down the rest!

Of course I do get the boarding v day argument.

OP posts:
happygardening · 04/05/2012 14:36

And what the hell does a child say when asked at interview why he really wants to go to Eton/Win Coll/St Pauls/Westminster or wherever else he's being interviewed for. It stricks me the parents are choosing the individual school because they really want Henry to go there but just because these are super selective big names. My DS only tried for two and one of those only because it was my DH old school. We got both and spent ages agonising over it so how on earth do you decide if you get 4?

spendthrift · 04/05/2012 14:35

Ok, confession here, we held onto two places for ages. But it was boarding v day, so are we forgiven? We knew one school of the two tends to over offer slightly but also has a waiting list. So I didn't feel v guilty.

And it wasn't Eton and Westminster.

IndridCold · 04/05/2012 14:19

I agree that seems very strange behaviour. I can imagine wanting to go and look at all of them, if you have a bright child, but I would have thought that there is enough difference between the schools to be able to decide straight away which one is best for your DC, and maybe keep two if, as you say, you are not sure about boarding. One wonders what it is the parents are actually looking for, and also how much say the DCs have in the process.

Colleger · 04/05/2012 12:20

Last term before incurring a fee charge.

OP posts:
Colleger · 04/05/2012 12:20

I know boys who are holding places at West, Win, Eton and St Paul's and plan to do so until the last term. You'd have thought they could have narrowed it down to two - a boarding and a day school! Hmm

OP posts:
IndridCold · 04/05/2012 12:17

I understood that parents have to choose which school they have settled on by the end of February, as that is when you have to let the ISEB know which school will be marking your DCs CE papers.

It is possible to change your mind after that time, but I wouldn't imagine that schools like Westminster and Eton would hold places for people in case they changed their minds later.

FWIW it was during the first week in March that we heard that DS had been promoted from the Eton waiting list and had a place, so that seems to confirm that there is some movement at that time. I know how hard it is just having to wait.

happygardening · 04/05/2012 11:51

I only know about parents at full/weekly boarding preps so maybe its easier to make a decision because your likely to want boarding again so that might rule out schools like Westminster as there are not that many boarders relatively speaking or St Pauls a handful of boarders. But I've never heard of anyone holding onto two places I would have thought most prep school heads strongly discourage it because I understand the senior schools don't take it well when you pull out.

Needmoresleep · 03/05/2012 14:28

I dont think it will be lots. However I know one boy who sat on two places till the last minute, eg Easter, as he decided between London Day and boarding.

Boys change quite fast at this age, and if you have the money I assume it's nice to have the luxury of delaying your choice. A real homebody at 11 can be dying to get away from home at 13. Or be heavily involved in an out of school activity and so want to stay in London.

I assume schools factor this into their numbers. They make money out of it.

Colleger · 03/05/2012 14:13

I'm not asking for this year. I'm asking for the term lent term before they sit common entrance or scholarship. Was that the point the place was given up and did you opt for Eton or Westminster or know what other parents opted for.

I'm trying to ascertain if more places will come available at Eton or at Westminster as I know lots of parents hold onto both places.

OP posts:
interest · 03/05/2012 13:52

I thought parents aren't allowed to hold onto two places at this late stage as CE papers can be sent only to one school, and they're obliged to make a final decision no later than early March...

thirdhill · 03/05/2012 13:19

The exams were on the same day. Or were in our time. So you can't apply to both. Were you thinking of scholarship exam for one and common entrance for the other? Preps will have separate classes for each.

Hope you get good news soon.

Swipe left for the next trending thread