Please or to access all these features

Paid childcare

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Non medical but worrying day off that I can't cover wwyd ?

487 replies

AngelaChill · 02/09/2006 22:33

My CM has found a lump in her breast which obviously she's worried sick about and has booked herself an appointment at a private hospital for Tuesday, she's told me this, not asked if it's ok iyswim. Now I know i'd be worried to death about finding a lump but I really cannot take this time off and DH would be unpaid which we can't afford. I don't want to sound like a heartless cow but she had Friday off at short notice for an uncles funeral and now this, would it be completely awful to ask her to rebook for Wednesday ?

OP posts:
Are your children’s vaccines up to date?
Flossam · 03/09/2006 14:24

All seems to have gone V V quiet -

misdee · 03/09/2006 14:21

wish i hadnt read this.

AC, your MC health comes first always.

if your company sack you for taking a day for parental leave, then look into seeking some compo from them.

if a friend phoned me up today and asked if i could look after their child on tuesday then its not short notice IMO, would do it easily.
(dh and VAD permitting of course).

If your dh earns £750 a day, then can he make the hours up another day? work on his bookd day off?

WigWamBam · 03/09/2006 14:19

"Perfectly reasonable" to demand she moves her appointment? Not in my book it's not. And for what it's worth, this may not be her only appointment - she may have to go for scans, biopsies, surgery ... are you going to demand she moves her appointments for those too, or are you going to look at a more reasonable approach to this? Regardless of what you say, if you had to make an appointment because of a breast lump you would reasonably expect to be able to take the time off, regardless of whether you had meetings, and I can't see why it would be different for your cm just because she happens not to work in an office.

I'm afraid that if I worked for you I'd tell you to take a running jump.

WideWebWitch · 03/09/2006 14:19

AngelaChill, is this the cm/nanny who is on a months notice with you? Or didn't you give her a months notice in the end? In which case isn't your child going to nursery soon anyway?

batters · 03/09/2006 14:17

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flossam · 03/09/2006 14:15

Exactly Batters. And to be very flippant - if earning 750 a day i would think DH could afford to run several CM's.

batters · 03/09/2006 14:14

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flossam · 03/09/2006 14:11

I probably shouldn't comment on this - bit too close to the bone. My mother has just had breast cancer, Angela, and if her work had told her to delay the appointment as it wasn't convinient I would have wanted to go down there and scream at them. The day my mum went to the clinic I was working, and so so very worried. FWIW they will not necessarily be able to tell your CM whether it is cancerous or not on that day.

You are so very flippant about the whole situation which is what has got peoples backs up - 'only a consultation' or words to that effect and '9/10 lumps are non cancerous'. Oh right, well then F8ck it she has a one in ten chance of being seriously ill so she should just wait untill you can fit it in your hectic schedule.

The fact is there are ways and means of you getting around this - people have made plenty of suggestions all of which you have phoo phooed. I feel you are being overly stubborn about this when you should be bending over backwards to try and accomodate your CM at this stressful time. This thread really has brought tears to my eyes that anyone could be so callous - and yes I have seen that you say your job is on the line - but no I don't buy it because you won't even consider any of the other options which are available to you.

batters · 03/09/2006 14:10

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder · 03/09/2006 14:08

But if your dh is earning £750 a day you don't really need to wotty!Having said that I think he could make the time up if he was really ill he would

WideWebWitch · 03/09/2006 14:03

I think if you had to take the appt and your life potentially depended on it you would do so during company/client hours. And expect your employer to live with it, quite rightly. But I do appreciate that you're the employer and there's a knock on effect on you wrt this situation. Sometimes there are things more important that client meetings/work deadlines I guess is my point and I think if it were you you too might re prioritise.

AngelaChill · 03/09/2006 13:59

I know you were trying to be helpful, it's just that I have been over and over this since Friday afternoon and was left with
a) Resign
b) She moves the appointment.

I have actually phoned a HR helpline who have suggested it is perfectly reasonable to ask her to move the appointment if it is in business hours.
If I had to take the appointment I couldn't do it during a company/client meeting for example.
Anyway going round and round in circles now.

OP posts:
AngelaChill · 03/09/2006 13:56

I don't hate the job otherwise I wouldn't have taken it but it does seem to be more trouble than it's worth. As per usual I'm trying to do things with the right intentions but am going to end up upsetting the Cm more than if I hadn't bothered at all.

OP posts:
batters · 03/09/2006 13:55

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WideWebWitch · 03/09/2006 13:55

x posted. OK, resign then! I was actually trying to be helpful.

WideWebWitch · 03/09/2006 13:54

Ok, so what about the solutions I've suggested then? If he's in charge surely he can re arrange stuff/dial in from home/work later and come in later/something? It just sounds extreme, chucking in your job just because of this, which is a problem with several possible solutions, it seems to me. But if you hate it and don't need th emoney then I'd resign anyway!

AngelaChill · 03/09/2006 13:54

a) a friend you trust - Would love to be Tuesday is too short notice I think for most.
b) a family member you trust - nope non of those.
c) dh doing as I suggest below - non starter
d) sharing the day off 50/50 - non starter
e) telling your employer the truth and offering to make up the time/effort some other way. I don't know what you do but could you dial in/go in early/leave early/do a late evening one day? - Again out of the question.
f) Getting dh to take the day and take the cost - £750 - we need the money.
g) Getting a nursery pdq, although they do need settling in so you'd need to book some time to cover that - great for next time but now is the problem.

I give up !

OP posts:
batters · 03/09/2006 13:51

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WideWebWitch · 03/09/2006 13:50

Because really the question you're asking here, it seems to me, is how you you manage when you both work and various unforeseen circumstances crop up. And there isn't one answer to that question, we all do the best we can for our circumstances. In your position I wouldn't throw in the towel with the job yet, I'd consider

a) a friend you trust
b) a family member you trust
c) dh doing as I suggest below
d) sharing the day off 50/50
e) telling your employer the truth and offering to make up the time/effort some other way. I don't know what you do but could you dial in/go in early/leave early/do a late evening one day?
f) Getting dh to take the day and take the cost
g) Getting a nursery pdq, although they do need settling in so you'd need to book some time to cover that.

AngelaChill · 03/09/2006 13:50

It wouldn't lead to DH being sacked he runs the organisation, but he wouldn't get paid for that day and we need the money, can you really not understand that ? I have said it would be better for me to not work for 5 months than for him to miss 1 day.
I'm going for a lie down in a dark room !

OP posts:
WideWebWitch · 03/09/2006 13:47

I'm with Batters on this. AngelaChill, just because someone's a lead project manager doesn't mean they can't take a day off and it would, in any circles I've ever moved in (stuffed with lead PMs in large organisations), be HIGHLY unlikely to lead to sacking/end of contract. Could your dh take a portion of the day off? Start later/go in earlier or something? Presumably he'd still get his daily rate then. Or could he dial in from home?

It sounds as if a) a nursery wpuld probably suit your circumstances better and b) your employers aren't terribly nice to work for. It is possible to be 2 parents who work ftoth but a nursery or nanny with backup probably works best ime.

AngelaChill · 03/09/2006 13:37

You see i will feel 100 times worse if she finds out she does have cancer and I then have to say well, that's awful but here's 4 weeks notice on top of that.

I don't love my job I took it to get out out of the house and test the water really and was worried if I didn't go back soon I never would and there is the opportunity for promtion but I doubt I would want more responsibility.
I'm just going to resign on Monday I think and get it all over with.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom.

OP posts:
batters · 03/09/2006 13:32

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tissy · 03/09/2006 13:25

OK, I've been thinking about this a bit more...

what time is CM's appointment? Assuming that she receives good news- could she look after your child when she gets back? If so, how about leaving it till Tuesday, phone into work on Tuesday with the story that your childminder has had to go to hospital, and you'll be a "bit late". Offer to work late/ Weekend/ cover someone else's shift to make up for it. You could end up only needing an hour or two off.

You then need to consider what will happen if your CM does have cancer- she will need LOADS of time off for treatment, appointments, surgery etc, so clearly the arrangement cannot continue. You can then decide at that point, whether to go for alternative childcare or to quit and go back to being a SAHM. Obviously, if your boss isn't happy about the time off, and suggests that you won't pass your probation, then resign anyway. If your CM does need to take more time off on Tuesday than a few hours, offer your resignation if it makes you feel better.

Don't think you say how old your dd is, but I wouldn't get stressed over your dd howling when left. It happens. They usually cheer up as soon as you're out of sight. My dd did, and she's a reasonably well-adjusted 4 year old now.

dmo · 03/09/2006 12:59

if you dont need to work dont
let your c/m sort out her health and get another child or work in a supermarket
you dont need the stress or the money so why go through it all
as you have repeated you dont want just anybody to look after your dd so the best person who wont let you down is yourself

Swipe left for the next trending thread