Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to miss my sister's Moroccan wedding with an eight-week-old?

242 replies

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:15

My Sister is getting married next year abroad in Morocco. I am due to give birth to my 2nd child about 8 weeks before. Our other child is 3yo.

Do you think it would be completely mad of us to go to the wedding with an 8 week old baby who’s only just had their first set of vaccinations?

Then there’s the whole fact we probably will be generally very sleep deprived too.

DH thinks we should just miss it and avoid the stress. I do obviously want to go but maybe it would be too much?

YABU - go to the wedding (with newborn, 3yo and DH)

YANBU - you should stay at home and miss the wedding.

OP posts:
Dollymylove · 20/09/2026 18:05

No I wouldnt. Not with such a young baby

Froughties · 20/09/2026 18:05

Not a great destination for a baby. Just say 100% no! Way too risky.

MellowSubmarine · 20/09/2026 18:04

I definitely wouldn’t commit to going, because as you say, if the baby is a bit late they might not have had their 8 week jabs.

PantaloonMad · 20/09/2026 18:03

That’s so tough because I’d be devastated to miss my sisters wedding. I took my son on holiday at 12 weeks which was doable but 8 weeks is early. Also last time I went to Marrakesh I caught a stomach bug so you have to be mindful of sticking to bottled water etc. Only you can decide but good luck and wishing you and your baby a healthy and happy birth!

WanderlustMom · 20/09/2026 18:01

I would 95% likely go, but I wouldn’t want to commit completely because you just never know how you’ll feel at the time or what kind of birth/recovery you’d have so it’s difficult.

Ponderingwindow · 20/09/2026 18:00

My DD would not have been compatible with a trip like this at 8 weeks. She just wasn’t that kind of baby.

Your sister decided to plan a wedding that she knew could be impossible for people with babies, health problems, or disabilities to attend. She chose a location over family.

Juniperwilde · 20/09/2026 17:56

I think 8 weeks is too young. Their immunity isn’t good and there is so much to handle with the airport, plane, being abroad, being potentially passed around many people… I’d be so stressed.

If you’re not planning on breastfeeding and you’re fine to leave your baby (and 3 year old) and you feel physically fine then go for it.

I personally wouldn’t leave my baby, and I wouldn’t be able to feel physically (or mentally) ok at 8 weeks postpartum.

Baby could also be late or you could have a traumatic birth.

I agree with others that to choose a destination wedding you’ve got to be okay with the idea that it could just be the two of you getting married, in case other family can’t or don’t want to travel.

Justbrieme · 20/09/2026 17:56

I think your stance is most reasonable decide when the baby comes. Breastfeeding, especially when you have already breastfed an older child, does make this somewhat possible but as other posters have suggested birth is uncertain so nothing can be guaranteed.

velomumhackney · 20/09/2026 17:52

i think you should plan not to attend.

rookiemere · 20/09/2026 17:51

Having been to Morocco last year I wouldn’t be taking a small baby there who potentially hadn’t had all their injections. I didn’t feel it was as clean or as safe as a European country and I definitely wouldn’t want my baby to have to use a hospital there. Mind you I probably still wouldn’t go if it was France or Spain, but I would be a fraction more likely!

dairydebris · 20/09/2026 17:51

This takes me back to getting a passport for a 3mo. God that was fun. Good luck with getting a passport for a 2 week old...

If you really want to go I think it can be done, I'd be keeping baby very close in a baby carrier the whole time.

I think it would be 100% understandable if you don't go.

Mirrorlolo · 20/09/2026 17:51

I've been to Morocco twice and was really ill on both occasions. DD was so ill I took her to A&E ( very rare occurrence in our house) I would not take a newborn - too risky

Kidsandhouse · 20/09/2026 17:50

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:47

No, they are both from the UK and decided to have a destination wedding!

No. I wouldn't go. It at least id say I wont be there. And then if it all went swimmingly well, then I might change my mind at the last minute. Rather that than have to cancel at the last minute.

Upyermonkey · 20/09/2026 17:50

I wouldn’t entertain it with an 8 week old baby but
what’s the healthcare situation there?
People who get married abroad take the chance that people may not be able to attend due to the inconvenience of it.

Overthebow · 20/09/2026 17:49

I wouldn’t as it’s Morocco. I wouldn’t want an unvaccinated baby going, at 8 weeks they may or may not have had vaccinations yet and they take a week or two to give proper immunity. 8 weeks post birth is just too young.

Yewlez · 20/09/2026 17:49

I went to a friend's wedding abroad when my eldest was 7 weeks. It was so easy and I'm glad I went. The hardest bit was getting a passport in time, I had to go to London with my baby to do it but it wasn't that bad.

I say do it! They are so portable at that age and your toddler will be ok, we travelled with ours at that age and it was all fine.

Carrotsandgrapes · 20/09/2026 17:48

It sounds like you would like to be there, but (understandably!) you cant know for sure until baby is here.

Would your sister be OK if you had to pull out a few weeks before the wedding? If so, I would book a refundable hotel and refundable flights, and hedge your bets.

TonTonMacoute · 20/09/2026 17:48

I don’t think you could possibly commit at this stage. Baby could be a month early or a month late. They could be calm and easy, or not sleep. Current DC might react badly to new sibling, or might be fine.

I wouldn’t promise anything but would keep options open until as late as possible.

I think it also depends on how used you all are to travelling, seasoned travellers would take this in their stride, others less so.

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:47

Thinkofnewthings · 20/09/2026 17:39

I wouldn’t go. A wedding in the UK, yes, but not abroad. I assume she’s marrying a Moroccan man?

No, they are both from the UK and decided to have a destination wedding!

OP posts:
Clearinguptheclutter · 20/09/2026 17:46

As you suggest I couldn’t commit until baby was here. You might have a difficult birth. Baby might be a non-sleeper like both of mine were. Passport may not come etc.

if none of those things go wrong however I don’t think it’s ridiculous

vaccines is a bit of a red herring I mean ideally they’d have them but they don’t “work” immediately the moment you get them and they’re mostly for diseases that have been almost eradicated thanks to vaccines

30DegreesHighAndRising · 20/09/2026 17:43

Unfortunately, this is a natural consequence of planning to have their wedding abroad. Some people will have unexpected life events before the wedding that mean they would like to attend, but can't commit.
You'd be giving yourself a lot of stress to anticipate an easy birth, easy baby and try to organise a passport etc in the early weeks after childbirth.
I think the best you can do is consider it nearer the time, but to commit would be over zealous.

justbecauseyoucandoesntmeanyoushouldx · 20/09/2026 17:43

Taking all the unknowns aside - is it even practically possible to register your baby and get a passport within 8 weeks (or sooner as you'd want to have it before booking)?. My Drs won't do the jabs a day before 8 weeks so that's also cutting it fine.

I did go away when my youngest was 6 weeks, and oldest was 3 - but that was to an apartment in the UK and with my in-laws. Not sure I'd have managed a flight.

LauritaEvita · 20/09/2026 17:43

I had a baby back in hospital at that age after one birth and me back in hospital 8 weeks after with the birth of another child. Both times for completely unexpected things. I would not ever plan travel so soon after something as unpredictable as giving birth.

Darkdiamond · 20/09/2026 17:42

You will need to be on the ball foe getting the baby's passport in time. Its doable. I had my first baby abroad and brought him home at 7 weeks but we applied for the passport ASAP.

Birdh0use · 20/09/2026 17:40

I would definitely consider, but book cancellable lovely hotel and either cheap flights way in advance or budget for a flight you can cancel. Would get there fews days before hand. Also imagine easiest if you plan to breastfeed. It could be magical!

Swipe left for the next trending thread