Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to miss my sister's Moroccan wedding with an eight-week-old?

242 replies

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:15

My Sister is getting married next year abroad in Morocco. I am due to give birth to my 2nd child about 8 weeks before. Our other child is 3yo.

Do you think it would be completely mad of us to go to the wedding with an 8 week old baby who’s only just had their first set of vaccinations?

Then there’s the whole fact we probably will be generally very sleep deprived too.

DH thinks we should just miss it and avoid the stress. I do obviously want to go but maybe it would be too much?

YABU - go to the wedding (with newborn, 3yo and DH)

YANBU - you should stay at home and miss the wedding.

OP posts:
RheaRheaRhea · 20/09/2026 18:32

You might be hard pushed to get a passport in time, assuming you don't go overdue too. You need to register the baby, and I'm sure you'll remember you can't book the appointment until the baby is actually born. Our appointment was 4 weeks after birth and I was booking it from my hospital bed to get the earliest one. Then you've got to actually apply for the passport and hope it turns up in time.

Although that notwithstanding, I wouldn't be going anywhere abroad without those first 3 courses of vaccinations anyway.

Herewegoagain57 · 20/09/2026 18:31

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:33

DH could look after the 3yo when there and I have the baby in a sling on me.

One concern I have though is I don’t think we can truly commit (if we do decide to go) until baby is born. If baby is late then it would be under 8 weeks and not had vaccinations which I don’t think would be a good idea.
Then also we don’t know how the birth will go and how baby will be etc.
So many potential complications which is why I wanted to gauge other people’s thoughts.

I think you already know your answer then, wait until baby is born to decide. I would personally be speaking to my sister and explaining the situation. Most people would understand.

I voted YANBU because of my own experiences. I know myself I wouldn’t have been ready but I know other people take their newborns on flights so obviously people do it.

I would just wait and see what happens

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 18:30

OccasionalHope · 20/09/2026 18:27

You can only get married legally in Morocco if one of you is Moroccan. Therefore it is a purely symbolic ceremony and party, so say sorry you can't make it but you would be happy to attend their legal UK (presumably register office) ceremony.

Yes we are attending their legal marriage at the registry office which is before the baby is born.

OP posts:
Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 18:29

We aren’t seasoned travellers at all. We’ve been abroad once since 3yo was born and that was the first time since Covid! We used to go abroad one (sometimes 2) times a year before Covid. I do like travelling though.

I’ve never been to Morocco before. From what I’ve heard the healthcare system there isn’t one you’d particularly want to use.. which does worry me with a baby.

OP posts:
OccasionalHope · 20/09/2026 18:27

You can only get married legally in Morocco if one of you is Moroccan. Therefore it is a purely symbolic ceremony and party, so say sorry you can't make it but you would be happy to attend their legal UK (presumably register office) ceremony.

Overthebow · 20/09/2026 18:27

I’m not sure I’d even want to take my toddler thinking about it. I wouldn’t go anywhere with my DCs that I wouldn’t be confident about having them in the healthcare facilities.

ThatLoudCat · 20/09/2026 18:25

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 18:23

With my first the first 12 weeks were the hardest and at 10 weeks we still were very much in the no sleep zone. I seem to recall thinking from the 12 maybe even 16 week mark things got a little easier..

I’ll speak with her and see what options there would be for us to come at the last minute, but say we are likely unable to come. If it was 2 months later I’m pretty sure we would just book it and go!

Every baby is so different. You may be lucky and get a brilliant sleeper this time around.

I was getting a good 8 or 9 hours at 8 weeks with my first. Definitely not the case with my second now 😢

ChazsBrilliantAttitude · 20/09/2026 18:25

You absolutely cannot commit to this, there are too many unknowns. Unless you are having a planned CS you can’t guarantee when the baby will arrive.

You then have to recover sort out a passport for the baby and vaccinations all in about 8 weeks.
You will be exposing the baby to a whole set of new germs different from the ones you may have passed on some immunity to. I am speaking from practical experience as DH is Algerian and we took the DC to visit from around 4-5 months and invariably they ended up with a cold or similar. It’s not a hygiene point, it’s just the local bacteria and viruses are different to the U.K.

Also what time of year is it and is it Marrakesh or on the coast? Somewhere like Marrakesh is going to be uncomfortable from around May-October with a newborn.

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 18:23

With my first the first 12 weeks were the hardest and at 10 weeks we still were very much in the no sleep zone. I seem to recall thinking from the 12 maybe even 16 week mark things got a little easier..

I’ll speak with her and see what options there would be for us to come at the last minute, but say we are likely unable to come. If it was 2 months later I’m pretty sure we would just book it and go!

OP posts:
RoachFish · 20/09/2026 18:23

I flew 12 hours when my firstborn was 9 weeks. I had to have an emergency c-section with her and was in hospital for a week after birth. We did get the passport 3-4 days before departure but we couldn’t book flights until she was born as we had to know her date of birth upon booking and we obviously didn’t know that until she was born.

It wasn’t stressful and it was definitely worth it, but I didn’t have a toddler to deal with as well.

bababamama · 20/09/2026 18:22

I think it’s a case of not being able to commit until after you give birth, if all is straight forward, is on or before due date, and breast feeding etc goes well plus you can get a passport in time then it’s ok, i travelled long haul at 7 weeks and it was fine. If you go overdue, need a c section or other complications it might not be possible

PyongyangKipperbang · 20/09/2026 18:18

You need to think about all the possible outcomes and how happy you are with going under those circumstances.

For example, would you want to go potentially just 6 weeks after an emergency C-section with an unvaccinated baby and quite possibly still bleeding. Because that is a very real possibility.

CelestialGazer · 20/09/2026 18:17

Clearinguptheclutter · 20/09/2026 17:46

As you suggest I couldn’t commit until baby was here. You might have a difficult birth. Baby might be a non-sleeper like both of mine were. Passport may not come etc.

if none of those things go wrong however I don’t think it’s ridiculous

vaccines is a bit of a red herring I mean ideally they’d have them but they don’t “work” immediately the moment you get them and they’re mostly for diseases that have been almost eradicated thanks to vaccines

Almost eradicated here maybe. But in Morocco?

I wouldn’t contemplate it. “Sorry sis, if you decide on a wedding inconvenient and expensive for everyone else (oops, meant to say destination wedding) then you must expect some people to be unable to attend. I’m sad to say that will include me this time.”

Mamabearandcubs · 20/09/2026 18:16

I would go if it was my sisters, I’m sure family will help out also whilst you are there

Nolieinforme · 20/09/2026 18:16

I'd wait and decide nearer the time.
You may have an easy birth and a dream baby which sleeps all the time, therefore a really lovely break away, or things could be very different...
Very young babies are very portable and it might all work out wonderfully, or it might not...

I'm sure your sister will understand that you are unable to commit either way yet!

theneighbourgotmycake · 20/09/2026 18:15

I think it's too early to plan.

So either they are happy with you turning up or not at the very last minute, or you decline right now.

You might be ok to fly, you might not. Passport shouldn't be a problem but there's no way you can guess how well you will be.

canklesmctacotits · 20/09/2026 18:14

I’m normally the first to not let a baby get in my way. But in this case, the thought of dealing with a toddler, a newborn, wedding stuff, a sick child, a sick baby, a sick parent, sleepless nights, looking like shit, potentially feeling like shit, having to secure a passport in time…any one of those would prevent me from enjoying it (maybe not the passport thing). When I had a 3yo and a newborn I could barely think straight until 12 weeks! The travel and hotel and getting vaccinations wouldn’t be any problem (unless formula feeding), it’s just things being hard enough as it is let alone adding this on top. Buggies, prams, nappies, slings, multiple clothes per day just for the baby let alone for a toddler - gah. I’m so glad this is behind me!

ThatLoudCat · 20/09/2026 18:14

I would try and go, but I wouldn't commit yet, if that's an option. See when baby is born and if the timeline looks doable for passport and vaccines.

We just did a 10 hour flight with our toddler and 10 week old. I did want to get the baby their vaccines but their was a mix up and we just had to go anyway. It was all fine.

HollyhocksandPeons · 20/09/2026 18:13

8 wk is not enough time to get all necessary vaccinations for Morocco.

Pretz123 · 20/09/2026 18:11

I travelled with our youngest at 8 weeks old to a similar destination, couldn't have been easier as babe just mostly fed and slept....if no complications I think it would be fine....hard to know that in advance though!

LoveWine123 · 20/09/2026 18:09

Took my 7 week old and a toddler to Spain for a holiday and it was brilliant. The only thing that would concern me in your situation is the quality of healthcare available in Morocco. Other than that, I’d happily go provided everything goes well with the birth and recovery.

whatcanthematterbe81 · 20/09/2026 18:08

I don’t know why you wouldn’t

GargoylesofBeelzebub · 20/09/2026 18:07

I took DD to Rome when she was 8 weeks old. We didn’t book it until after she was born and we knew everything was ok though. Marrakech seems a bit different though.

horseplay12 · 20/09/2026 18:07

If the baby is late, then that’s 6 weeks to register the birth and then get the passport sorted, on top of everything else that comes along with having a newborn and a new child.
i wouldn’t want to miss my sisters wedding but this might be rather tricky.

Doveyouknow · 20/09/2026 18:07

We travelled to the USA with our ds when he was 3 months old for a family wedding. Getting the passport in time was tough and it was hard work travelling when we were so tired anyway. Babies are portable but add in a (much less portable) toddler and that your baby could be much younger than 8 weeks and I wouldn't.

Swipe left for the next trending thread