Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to miss my sister's Moroccan wedding with an eight-week-old?

242 replies

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:15

My Sister is getting married next year abroad in Morocco. I am due to give birth to my 2nd child about 8 weeks before. Our other child is 3yo.

Do you think it would be completely mad of us to go to the wedding with an 8 week old baby who’s only just had their first set of vaccinations?

Then there’s the whole fact we probably will be generally very sleep deprived too.

DH thinks we should just miss it and avoid the stress. I do obviously want to go but maybe it would be too much?

YABU - go to the wedding (with newborn, 3yo and DH)

YANBU - you should stay at home and miss the wedding.

OP posts:
Thinkofnewthings · 20/09/2026 17:39

I wouldn’t go. A wedding in the UK, yes, but not abroad. I assume she’s marrying a Moroccan man?

somanychristmaslights · 20/09/2026 17:39

I still couldn’t walk properly, couldn’t think of anything worse than going to a hot country with a toddler and a newborn 😂

bookishshyish · 20/09/2026 17:37

YANBU. It’s far too risky.

Soontobe60 · 20/09/2026 17:36

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:33

DH could look after the 3yo when there and I have the baby in a sling on me.

One concern I have though is I don’t think we can truly commit (if we do decide to go) until baby is born. If baby is late then it would be under 8 weeks and not had vaccinations which I don’t think would be a good idea.
Then also we don’t know how the birth will go and how baby will be etc.
So many potential complications which is why I wanted to gauge other people’s thoughts.

I wouldn’t commit. Where abouts in Morocco is the wedding?

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:33

IDontDrinkTea · 20/09/2026 17:25

I would go - it’d be much easier to manage the baby abroad than the toddler to be honest! I’d almost be tempted to leave your 3yo and DH at home

DH could look after the 3yo when there and I have the baby in a sling on me.

One concern I have though is I don’t think we can truly commit (if we do decide to go) until baby is born. If baby is late then it would be under 8 weeks and not had vaccinations which I don’t think would be a good idea.
Then also we don’t know how the birth will go and how baby will be etc.
So many potential complications which is why I wanted to gauge other people’s thoughts.

OP posts:
IDontDrinkTea · 20/09/2026 17:25

I would go - it’d be much easier to manage the baby abroad than the toddler to be honest! I’d almost be tempted to leave your 3yo and DH at home

Nofeckingway · 20/09/2026 17:23

I would go . Babies are portable . And you have your DH there as well .

Alpsk1 · 20/09/2026 17:23

I do plan to breastfeed. Unfortunately they started planning it all before I was pregnant so at the time this wasn’t an issue.

OP posts:
JustWalnut · 20/09/2026 17:21

"Sorry sis, see you both when you get back!"

Purpleturtle45 · 20/09/2026 17:20

I would go if I could but think whatever decision you make is reasonable under the circumstances.

dizzydizzydizzy · 20/09/2026 17:20

If you have a passport and the baby has had their vaccinations and you are well , I don’t see the issue. However, you are not going to know that in advance.

We went on holiday abroad with DC1 at that age. It was fine.

Justbrieme · 20/09/2026 17:20

Will you be BF? If so maybe because it is so much more convenient but I don’t think it will be easy.

If bottle feeding maybe you could go yourself for a couple of days though I don’t see many new mothers being too enthusiastic about doing that.

It really isn’t something I’d be too enthusiastic about at all and I’ve traveled with pretty young children.

PivotPivotmakingmargaritas · 20/09/2026 17:19

No too risky - they are so little and have such a weak immune system at time. Plus the stress of passport and sleep and travel - it would be a hell no from me.

If you have a destination wedding then you have to be ok with some people not being able to attend

amber763 · 20/09/2026 17:19

Absolutely no

EppingIsFun · 20/09/2026 17:19

I wouldn't go. No way. Totally your call, though. Wouldn't judge anyone who chose to go either.

LlynTegid · 20/09/2026 17:18

Politely decline. Hope all goes well with the birth of your second child.

ladyjaynes · 20/09/2026 17:16

Assuming you could get a passport in time then why not. I’m sure family will help out

Swipe left for the next trending thread