Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to attend another interview after verbally accepting a different job?

22 replies

SerialApplicant · 11/09/2026 18:52

I recently applied for three jobs - all advertised around the same time. I haven't been happy in my current job for a while due to under-staffing.

I was offered a job last week and verbally accepted it, as I am happy to take it.

I also had an interview lined up for the second job but withdrew the application because I had already accepted the first job offer and didn't want to complicate things.

But, I have today been invited for an interview for the third job next Friday. This is the job I was originally most enthusiastic about but thought the application process would be more competitive so did not expect to get invited for an interview.

The job interview is in the same organisation as the job offer and my current job! All different departments though.

Is it reasonable to go for the interview?

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
SerialApplicant · 15/09/2026 21:51

Thanks everyone for your feedback. In the end I decided to stick with / commit to the first offer. I cancelled the interview for the other job. 1. Because I couldn't deal with any more stress. 2. Upon further reflection, I had some reservations about the other job.

OP posts:
S89 · 14/09/2026 07:36

I had this recently (accepted a job offer with and then was immediately offered another interview and got the job). I think it's fine as long as you allow plenty of time in withdrawing/ accepting the new offer.

In my case, luckily there wasn't much of a delay in the offer and hr stage and I was able to have a conversation with the original job I was offered and explain the situation and they were really understanding, there were around two weeks before my start date so I didn't feel too bad.

Someone at my current work however, interviewed for a role in our team as an internal candidate, got the job, was due to start and on the Friday before her start date, called our director to withdraw as she had accepted another role within the organisation. With a team that works very closely with ours! That definitely created a lot of tension!

Greypanda86 · 14/09/2026 07:10

Go for the interview, you do what’s best for you. I’ve turned down 3 job offers I’ve accepted in the past and although disappointing for the hiring manager it’s not the end of the world, one of them contacted me 2 years later and asked if I might be interested again

whatwouldlilacerullodo · 13/09/2026 15:29

Until contract is signed, you have nothing.

itstoolateforsnacks · 13/09/2026 15:25

I think this puts you in a great position, when you go to the new interview and they ask if you have any questions, you can ask ‘are you able to let me know how quickly I’d hear if I got the job, as I have another job offer, but this post would be my preference so I’d prefer to let them know asap if I am successful today’.

EmeraldShamrock000 · 13/09/2026 00:40

Yes. Why not.

ButterPiesAreGreat · 13/09/2026 00:39

Put it this way - many employers would not think twice if a better candidate popped up.

I nearly did this once. I was offered a job and then I was invited to interview for a job that was closer to home, more money etc. I initially turned it down because a recruiter told me not to. Then I thought “what am I doing?” and rang them back within half an hour to say I’ll go. Went to the first interview and loved the place and boss was great. Asked me back for a second and I walked out of there with a job offer! I took that job and never looked back.

WaryCyanStork · 12/09/2026 22:36

This reply has been deleted

Post withdrawn at author's request

She did say it's the same company "as the job offer and my current job"

laurajayneinkent · 12/09/2026 22:27

I think you should talk to the HR department at the new company and be 100% honest about the whole situation. Then interview for your ideal job while keeping the other one verbally on hold while the company makes a decision on who to offer your ideal job to. Hopefully they can make sure you don't lose the other job offer in the meantime. Best of luck!!

laurajayneinkent · 12/09/2026 22:25

This reply has been withdrawn

Post withdrawn at author's request

crazymommaclub · 12/09/2026 17:42

Do what you like, they could still withdraw the offer right up until you sign the contract.

BotterMon · 12/09/2026 16:48

Doesn't your company have an HR department who manages the internal recruitment processes?

You have a job in a company, have been offered another in the same company which you have verbally accepted and you have been offered yet another interview again in the same company?

Company sounds a disorganised shitshow so I'd look outside!

f1mercedesfan · 12/09/2026 16:33

Be careful you don't end up with neither if the second declines you after the interview stages

Lizchapman · 12/09/2026 15:49

Until you have a written offer you can’t rely on anything so take that into account

SerialApplicant · 11/09/2026 19:29

I find it all incredibly stressful. I don't think our paths would cross particularly.

I would hate to have to withdraw from the original job offer, but would hope it would still be soon enough they could go back to their second choice.

@Contain4 are you going to accept the first job if you get offered it, and then will you go for the 2nd interview as well?

OP posts:
WaryCyanStork · 11/09/2026 19:00

If it wasn't in the same organisation as the job offer, I'd say 100% go for it.

As it's in the same organisation, I think it depends a little bit on organisational culture and how closely you'd have to work with the team you "rejected". In my current organisation I'd definitely go for it, but I've worked places in the past where it would go down so badly it may not be worth it.

Bongani · 11/09/2026 18:59

I don't see any difference between you being interviewed by different companies and them interviewing different candidates. But how would you feel if you were offered a job and then told they no longer wanted you?

SummerBlueskies · 11/09/2026 18:59

Definitely go to the interview

Pearlstillsinging · 11/09/2026 18:58

Of course, until the contract is signed the job offer could be withdrawn

TheTortiePuffinNeedsHerBreakfast · 11/09/2026 18:58

Definitely go to the interview. Get the best job for you, you don't owe any of them anything at this stage.

Contain4 · 11/09/2026 18:55

Following as I’m in a similar situation myself.

I haven’t officially been offered the first job and so I’ve not accepted like you but it’s been implied and they’re going to let me know officially tomorrow.
But I have an interview next Friday for a job that I really want.

I honestly don’t know what you should do OP.

Definitely still go to the interview.
If you’re not offered it then it’s your decision made.

Fupoffyagrasshole · 11/09/2026 18:54

Of course you go

dont be loyal to anyone! Try for the job you want