Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to want to rent rather than live with my in-laws when we move back to England?

67 replies

ByLovingReader · 11/09/2026 12:17

DH and I are planning to move back to England next year. I'm American, born and brought up in the US, although I came to England for university as it was much cheaper than studying in the States and dentistry was a more straightforward route here. I have dual citizenship through my mum.
DH is English and French but has always lived in England apart from holidays/visiting family in France. We have two DSs, one just turned 3 and the youngest is 1 month old.
We had originally planned to move back this year, but I fell pregnant and decided I wanted to have the baby in the US. There wasn't a medical reason for this I just wanted him born there as it makes the citizenship/passport side of things much easier. He would have been entitled to US citizenship if he'd been born in England too but this was simpler.

We currently live in San Francisco but are in England at the moment so DH's family can meet the baby. While we've been here, DH has also been having conversations about work and has now secured a permanent position in London for spring next year which makes the move much more realistic.I'm a dentist and am hoping to work again when DS2 is around a year old. We haven't even put our house in the US on the market yet so there is still quite a lot to sort out.
The original plan was that we'd stay with MIL and FIL for a few months when we move back. They have plenty of space they are happy for us to stay and financially it would make a huge amount of sense. We'd be able to save quite a bit while selling our house in the US and looking for somewhere to buy in England.

I've always got on well with MIL. I've known her for almost 20 years and we've never had any major falling out. She's generally been lovely to me and I have no doubt that she adores DH and the children. However, now that we're actually moving back and have children I'm starting to see things slightly differently.
She has quite a lot of opinions about how we do things. Nothing particularly outrageous on its own, but lots of little things. For example, she'll comment on what our eldest is eating, he is quite a good eater and just eats what we eat she wants to give him haribos and various other sweets, he has never had sweets I said no because he is 3, does not need that type of sugar, how much youngest is sleeping, whether DS2 is wearing enough clothes, what time we should be putting them to bed, whether we should be picking DS up when he cries etc.
The sort of things where you can smile and say "yes, maybe" and carry on doing what you're doing. I haven't really minded it because we only see them for relatively short periods of time.But now we're talking about living in their house for several months, I'm beginning to think that those little comments might become quite a lot when you're hearing them every day.We've also been looking at schools while we're here and DH and I have decided we'd like either an American or French school for the boys. MIL is very against this and thinks they should go to a British school. Again, she hasn't done anything terrible, but she has made it very clear that she thinks we're making the wrong decision and keeps raising the subject.
DH has basically said that ultimately it's my decision and that he will support me either way, but he has also said that it's my choice whether we stay with them or rent somewhere.And honestly, I'm starting to lean towards renting.

I'm still postpartum I only had DS2 at the beginning of August and I think part of this is that I just really want our own space. We will be moving countries, selling a house, DH starting a new job, I'll eventually be returning to work and we'll have a toddler and a newborn. The thought of doing all of that while living in someone else's home is suddenly making me feel quite claustrophobic.I don't want to spend several months feeling like I need to explain or defend our decisions about the children.

For example, if DS is having a tantrum and I deal with it differently to how MIL would, I don't want a discussion about it. If I decide the baby needs a nap and take him upstairs, I don't want someone commenting that I'm putting him down too much. If we decide the our youngest can only have a proper dinner no sweet treats unless it is homemade, I don't want it to become a conversation. None of these things are particularly important, but when you're living together I imagine they could become exhausting.And I don't want to damage what is actually quite a good relationship with MIL by living together and getting irritated with each other.

On the other hand, I feel incredibly guilty because staying with them would save us a lot of money. We're not struggling financially, but obviously having the ability to save while we're getting established back in England is very attractive. It also feels a bit ungrateful when they're offering to have us in their home and are genuinely excited about having the grandchildren nearby.

I don't want this to come across as "MIL is awful and I can't stand her", because that's really not the case. I've always liked her. I just think there is a difference between getting on well with someone when you see them regularly and spending several months living in their house with two small children.
I also think I'm only really starting to appreciate the boundary issue now that we're actually making decisions as parents rather than just visiting as their son and DIL.

DH has said it's completely my decision and that he'll back whatever I choose. Part of me thinks I should just suck it up for a few months, save the money and accept that there will be some irritating comments.

The other part of me thinks we're adults with our own children and our own family unit, and if we can afford to rent somewhere, why deliberately put ourselves into a situation where I already feel slightly uncomfortable?
So, AIBU to say that I'd rather rent somewhere for 12 months while we get ourselves sorted, even though it means spending money that we could otherwise save?

I don't want to fall out with MIL at all. If anything, that's part of why I'm thinking it might be better to have our own space.

OP posts:
MSJ14 · 12/09/2026 13:03

You say you have a good relationship with them generally, why not speak with MIL and voice your concerns?

Ask for her ideal and share your ideal and see if there is a way of meeting in the middle.

Pallisers · 11/09/2026 21:33

Preserve your marriage, your relationship with your inlaws and your sanity and rent. It might be a pain in the ass to figure out renting but once it is done that's it - it isn't a day to day annoyance. Living with another family is hard. I suspect it would be hard for your in laws too. We spent a week on holidays with our adult children and then 2 of them stayed with us for another 10 days and honestly even though I would always offer them a place to stay and I love them and joke about them moving back - I was very glad to get my house back to ourselves and so was dh.

Savvysix1984 · 11/09/2026 21:06

Only you know whether it’s a good idea or not. Dh and I and dc and ddog lived with my parents a few years ago (for 3 months) when we relocated back to our home country and our house sale fell through. It was grand and in lots of ways lovely! But my parents are pretty chilled.

Sharptonguedwoman · 11/09/2026 20:39

ToKittyornottoKitty · 11/09/2026 12:55

Missing the point a bit but I didn’t even realise we had American and French schools in the UK. Odd that you want to bring them up in Britain but not use a British school.
Anyway just rent, you clearly have a lot of money and it will help preserve your relationship with in laws so just rent.

To enable a child to be bilingual would in my eyes be a real gift.

Startrekobsessed · 11/09/2026 20:16

Honestly rent somewhere. I did the whole in laws living thing a few years ago and it was hard work. We all came out of in intact but I struggled a lot with the lack of personal space and them always being there seeing all our interactions with the kids. I was exhausted most evenings. We couldn’t have afforded to rent, if we could it would have been a no brainier. I think you’re unlikely to regret renting.

Suchasonganddance · 11/09/2026 20:11

For what it’s worth, why put yourselves through this? Be kind to yourself - and your husband. Rebuild your health and strength and bond as a family of four. If MIL already interferes with little things like Haribos imagine 24/7 in her home for an as yet undetermined of time is going to be like.

Grumpyoldcat · 11/09/2026 19:37

OMG fell asleep reading this. If you do nt want her stuffing your kids with haribos say no. Stand up yourself. Save some money then buy. I had to move in with in laws/parents over the years and its frustrating but its not forever.

throwaway1234566 · 11/09/2026 19:32

I skimmed the thread because I knew how I’d vote from the title alone. You need tour own family space. It’ll be enough of an adjustment for you moving so far

LIZS · 11/09/2026 19:30

Sashya · 11/09/2026 14:03

You don't need to decide until much later - but you really should try to put your DC name onto school lists. Primary places in London at the choices you are considering are oversubscribed, so do register, so you have options.

Only private and nursery/preschool operate pre-registration. For State schools op would need to apply by 15th January to be “on time” with a UK residential address , after that an application is considered “late” and processed after the on-time applications, reducing chances of a gaining a place at a popular, oversubscribed school. If you want to delay until 2028 it is worth checking in with Local Authority and asking which preschools will likely consider a place for a rising 5.

independentfriend · 11/09/2026 18:57

If you really want an American or French school you'll be restricted to living in proximity to one which might mean your in laws house is unsuitable for reasons of travelling time.

Being one academic year older than the rest of the class is ok. Being two years older isn't, so if he doesn't start an English Reception class at 4 you won't realistically have the option of him repeating a year in future. My advice is for nearly all children it's better to keep them with their age group at this stage and reserve the option for if there are problems in an exam year.

MustTryHarderAndHarder · 11/09/2026 14:39

Your MIL is an idiot wanting to give your child sweets.

anterenea · 11/09/2026 14:34

Off topic certainly but why would you want to leave California??

Sashya · 11/09/2026 14:03

ByLovingReader · 11/09/2026 13:57

He was born at the end of August, so we essentially have another couple of years before we need to make a final decision about school, although we have already been in touch with a few schools and are getting a feel for the options.
He has been going to nursery since he was 9 months, gradually from one day a week to now 4 days a week as a friend of ours in the States runs a private nursery, so he could potentially start school at four. At the moment, though, we're leaning more towards five, simply because his birthday is in the 3 days days of August and he'd be one of the youngest in his year, if not the youngest. We'd rather not rush him just because he technically can start at four he will be doing the same things he has been doing at nursery as starting nursery young helps them develop.

You don't need to decide until much later - but you really should try to put your DC name onto school lists. Primary places in London at the choices you are considering are oversubscribed, so do register, so you have options.

ByLovingReader · 11/09/2026 14:00

BirdLandedonmyHead · 11/09/2026 12:36

By just turned 3... are you meaning last few days or lastmonth? Because last month would mean you are in the school application window, so id be concentrating on finding your permanent home as quick as possible. Or it least the area.

He is born in August, he turned 3 last month technically. We have been looking at schools as well as nurseries and been in touch with both schools and nurseries who have said we do have the choice of him starting sept 2027 or sept 2028 due to his birthday.

OP posts:
ByLovingReader · 11/09/2026 13:57

LIZS · 11/09/2026 13:36

Renting would be better but realistically it may not be easy to organise before you arrive. Do you plan to ship furniture etc as that in itself takes time. When is your ds1 turning four, as that might mean he is due to start school next September and that may be determined by an address. State school applications close in January but private can have more flexible or earlier deadlines, depending on the school.

He was born at the end of August, so we essentially have another couple of years before we need to make a final decision about school, although we have already been in touch with a few schools and are getting a feel for the options.
He has been going to nursery since he was 9 months, gradually from one day a week to now 4 days a week as a friend of ours in the States runs a private nursery, so he could potentially start school at four. At the moment, though, we're leaning more towards five, simply because his birthday is in the 3 days days of August and he'd be one of the youngest in his year, if not the youngest. We'd rather not rush him just because he technically can start at four he will be doing the same things he has been doing at nursery as starting nursery young helps them develop.

OP posts:
KoiTetra · 11/09/2026 13:57

If you know there is an end in sight then it is doable and chances are you will be able to ignore the little comments. If it was long term no way!

AlphaApple · 11/09/2026 13:46

Option C. DH sits down with his mum and tells her to knock it off with the parenting commentary and respect your decisions as a mum.

LIZS · 11/09/2026 13:36

Renting would be better but realistically it may not be easy to organise before you arrive. Do you plan to ship furniture etc as that in itself takes time. When is your ds1 turning four, as that might mean he is due to start school next September and that may be determined by an address. State school applications close in January but private can have more flexible or earlier deadlines, depending on the school.

TwinklyAmberSloth · 11/09/2026 13:28

@ByLovingReader I lived with my in-laws for 4 months and it was OK, but they had a big house with lots of space. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (as my MIL was very much like yours) but I was pleased to have my own house after 4 months!

You could temporarily move in with them if you cannot secure rented accommodation but make it your number 1 priority to find a rented house so that you don't have to stay for too long.

Sashya · 11/09/2026 13:24

@ByLovingReader
Look - you are postpartum now, so a lot of this is probably a bit emotional for you. And you are focusing on some issues, not thinking of a lot of other issues that would affect the actual living together and practicality. It it understandable that as a new mother you feel very particular and protective about everything that goes on with your little children. That being said, there are practical considerations as well:

Pragmatically - you'll really struggle to rent anything from the US to line up timing of arrival and start of tenancy. The change of the rules makes it much more difficult - the taking away the option to pre-pay for a year is mental...

You also can't really properly decide which neighbourhood you should choose.
So - I'd say - even with intending to rent you should stay over at PIL while you look at places and choose locations.

On the thing that gives you this emotional reaction... I am sure that if you have a good relationship with you MIL, and you are both decent human beings - you can have a conversation with her on how the temporary living situation can work. I think you are imagining the worst with her constantly challenging your parenting. You should also think about the positives of having the built-in childcare - which you seem to not yet appreciate.

Next practical issue - once you get to London, you'll need to quickly sort out your schooling decision, because it'll affect your housing decisions. If you want to go the French system (much lower school fees) - then you'll have to live in West London, close to the Lycee. Commuter belt is not really an option there.

If you chose American system - then you'll be choosing between Hampstead and Surrey.

Either way - you'll need to get your kids names onto school lists of your choosing asap.

Good luck with the move. SF is a beautiful place, and very different from London. The move will take a while, and as a new mom, there is a lot to deal with. So - it's great you have PIL that are welcoming. And they will be a great help, I have no doubt.

Inevergotthatfar · 11/09/2026 13:10

I would rent , I don't think this will go well as your MIL cannot keep her opinions to herself. Especially since you won't be working for the first while, you will be around them all the time.

exexpat · 11/09/2026 13:09

Sort out a rental before you come back if you possibly can, and if not, just stay with the in-laws for as short a time as possible while you find somewhere to live, if you want to stay on good terms with them (and your husband).

I had to move back to the UK at short notice with small DC, and only spent a few days staying with my parents - it was enough.

Do your in-laws even live near the kind of schools you want for your children?

Maray1967 · 11/09/2026 12:58

Btc76 · 11/09/2026 12:56

Just put up with it, older relatives giving opinions on how we bring up our children has and will go on for eternity. Be tactful and diplomatic

Not a chance. I could that for a visit of a few days, not for longer.

Maray1967 · 11/09/2026 12:57

Madamecholetsbonnet · 11/09/2026 12:28

I would rent in order to preserve your relationship with ILS

Absolutely. Staying with them for more than few days risks blowing up your relationship with them, and causing serious problems for your DH. I generally get on well with mine, but there is no way we would have lived with them with DC - the comments would have made me explode. In our case it would have had. DH saying no though - he has always said he wouldn’t live with them as he couldn’t cope with the ‘helpful suggestions’.

Btc76 · 11/09/2026 12:56

Just put up with it, older relatives giving opinions on how we bring up our children has and will go on for eternity. Be tactful and diplomatic

Swipe left for the next trending thread