Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to be torn over a job offer - NHS

70 replies

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 10:36

I work for the NHS full time, taking home around £2,400 a month.

I’ve just been offered a 3-day highly specialist Band 7 role in London…. I genuinely didn’t think I’d get it and now have to decide by the end of today!!!!

The problem is that because it’s only 3 days, my take-home would be much less, so I can’t actually afford to do it on its own.

Ideally, my dream would be to do the new job 3 days and stay with my current role for 2 days (I currently have a specialism one day a week).
However, I asked about reducing to 2 days and my manager said it would be very difficult, would require a formal flexible working application which could take a long time and might be rejected. She also said that if I did drop to two days, I likely have to stop doing my specialism and use those days for community to help the service.

Also, my supervisor said she’s hoping to build me a 2-day Band 7 role by the end of the year, which I would love. This is unlikely if I take the role :(. But I’m worried that if I stay, I’ll end up being Band 7 for 2 days and Band 6 community for 3 days indefinitely.

I also don’t hugely enjoy my current community caseload, but love my development role.

The current job does have huge advantages: flexibility, WFH, easy hours, and although the 45-minute drive each way is annoying, London will mean a longer/more complicated commute. Also, I absolutely ADORE my team they are all so lovely.

I’m just completely torn.
I genuinely cannot see the right answer. Also, I have about 6 hours to make a decision…. What would you do?

OP posts:
Julimia · 26/08/2026 17:08

Can't really see why you are torn.stsy put. See what unfolds.

professionalcommentreader · 26/08/2026 16:42

It sounds like you really want to stay and will regret moving.

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 16:35

To be fair in my current role, it was a band 6 to develop a specialism as that band 7 was leaving soon. She is now leaving in December so it does create a role for me (I’ll essentially take her job).

OP posts:
DuckDowned · 26/08/2026 16:34

overwork · 26/08/2026 10:43

I would be quite suspicious about them wanting to create you a B7. Most Trusts are struggling for money atm, she’d have to jump through hoops to prove that it was necessary. I think I’d take the new job, and then bank elsewhere to make up the shortfall. I’d also put in the flexible working request at your current job, she shouldn’t be discouraging you from giving that a try. Of course it could be rejected, but it might not be

Exactly. I work in the NHS and I would not trust any promise of extra pay or funding for new roles. Everything has been frozen in my trust and posts are being cut monthly.

Om83 · 26/08/2026 16:31

is there any chance that the new role could turn full time? Say you’ve looked at your figures and to make it work you’d really need FT and is there any option that it will be in future? At least then you have asked and if it’s a no they won’t be surprised if you turn it down.

if your aim is to buy a house over career progression then I’d go with the more secure income. Progression will come when it’s the right time and your manager obviously sees something in you.

edited to add: just read your last post- if the niche specialism won’t come up again and it’s something that will bring you more joy and you can push back the property buying then that’s your answer.

its always hard to leave a good team, its sad but don’t let other people stand in the way of what is right for you.

vincettenoir · 26/08/2026 16:23

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 16:17

It’s a very niche field which rarely has specialist roles going. I was emailed about it as I was interested in the past

I guess that does change things. Can you ask for an extra day to work out your decision?

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 16:17

It’s a very niche field which rarely has specialist roles going. I was emailed about it as I was interested in the past

OP posts:
Loz2323 · 26/08/2026 16:16

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 10:36

I work for the NHS full time, taking home around £2,400 a month.

I’ve just been offered a 3-day highly specialist Band 7 role in London…. I genuinely didn’t think I’d get it and now have to decide by the end of today!!!!

The problem is that because it’s only 3 days, my take-home would be much less, so I can’t actually afford to do it on its own.

Ideally, my dream would be to do the new job 3 days and stay with my current role for 2 days (I currently have a specialism one day a week).
However, I asked about reducing to 2 days and my manager said it would be very difficult, would require a formal flexible working application which could take a long time and might be rejected. She also said that if I did drop to two days, I likely have to stop doing my specialism and use those days for community to help the service.

Also, my supervisor said she’s hoping to build me a 2-day Band 7 role by the end of the year, which I would love. This is unlikely if I take the role :(. But I’m worried that if I stay, I’ll end up being Band 7 for 2 days and Band 6 community for 3 days indefinitely.

I also don’t hugely enjoy my current community caseload, but love my development role.

The current job does have huge advantages: flexibility, WFH, easy hours, and although the 45-minute drive each way is annoying, London will mean a longer/more complicated commute. Also, I absolutely ADORE my team they are all so lovely.

I’m just completely torn.
I genuinely cannot see the right answer. Also, I have about 6 hours to make a decision…. What would you do?

I would stay where you currently are, that makes most sense to me

anotherhamsandwich · 26/08/2026 16:11

What attracted you to this new job in the first place?

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 16:06

So I’ve since found out that the London role is 2 days in office, 1 day WFH.

If it was full time I’d probably take it, but bank or private work is never guaranteed and I want the security

OP posts:
Pistachiocake · 26/08/2026 14:50

You need to think how likely it is that she'd follow through and get you the job. Everyone's had a promise of something when they threaten (don't mean that badly, but it's sometimes how it's perceived) to walk, but some places can't or won't do it.

TinyCottageGirl · 26/08/2026 14:44

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 10:51

Yeah I’ve never commuted to London so I don’t know if I’d absolutely hate it!

Where roughly are you based? Do you have children etc. to worry about pick ups? I commute a couple of times a week and it's fine but when there are cancellations/delays it can be a nightmare. Door to door for me is about 1hr30+
I would consider staying just to avoid commuting!
Alos have you considered travel costs, my daily commute if £40+ a day!

Lizchapman · 26/08/2026 14:42

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 10:42

But I really love my current development role and she’s worked hard to build it for me. And I love my team.

It’s all good saying I’ll pick up bank shifts but it’s not guaranteed and I’m currently trying to buy a house

The fact that you’ve immediately come back with this very much suggests that deep down you were hoping to be told to stay where you are. Often it’s not until we get an answer that we realise it wasn’t the one we wanted. Good luck whatever you decide.

fumingrightnow1 · 26/08/2026 13:56

If you're serious about buying a house do not change jobs

Woeisme1973 · 26/08/2026 13:37

Now is not the time to be reducing your income if you are planning to buy your first home. A significant reduction in income could significantly jeopardise your house purchase plans. Keeping a good record of consistent income is integral to the mortgage process going to plan, it is a tough process for most first time buyers. Your finances will be scrutinised even if you have a healthy deposit and taking a 2 day income cut could affect your ability to borrow the desired amount. You will be so glad that you remained in your role once you have purchased your house. This should matter more than a public sector job who would replace you within a month if anything happened to you.

If you accept the new role, you will be on a lengthy probation period, which will automatically make you ineligible for a mortgage. Band 7 roles within the NHS are also like gold dust. So many experienced people are desperate to go from a 6 to a 7. There is so much red tape with all nursing vacancies, I would not take any manager's word that they will make you a band 7. The interviews are so stringent, objective and points based that that there is every chance that an external candidate with equal experience could be offered the role your manager is promising by scoring more points than you. Accept that you might be a band 6 for longer, but with a steady income and the ability to WFH which is also gold dust within the NHS.

DeftGoldHedgehog · 26/08/2026 13:32

Tell them you've been offered another job and see what they suggest.

Packofsix · 26/08/2026 13:31

You need to get your flexible working request in on your current role asap. They cannot take ‘forever’. Legally they have 3 months to let you know, and they cannot arbitrarily reject it either. There are strict guidelines

Treacle2014 · 26/08/2026 13:31

If you’re wanting to buy a house, 100% stay in your current role until you’ve done that!
I would feel that if I was 50/50, it wouldn’t be worth the risk and dropping money at a time when you want your income to be as high as possible

PinkyFlamingo · 26/08/2026 13:28

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 10:42

But I really love my current development role and she’s worked hard to build it for me. And I love my team.

It’s all good saying I’ll pick up bank shifts but it’s not guaranteed and I’m currently trying to buy a house

Stay where you are then.

Pearlstillsinging · 26/08/2026 13:24

Squeak4 · 26/08/2026 11:02

Tbh I only applied because it’s a job I’ve been interested in previously and I was emailed about it. I wasn’t actively looking for a new job.

I guess I just worry that my development role might not turn into two days, but also I love my team:(

Your team will move on. You must have been interested in the role on offer to have applied for it, surely?
Accept the role, take bank shifts nearer to home and see what happens, would be my advice. I think bank work us pretty much guaranteed, especially going into winter.

Lulubelle1985 · 26/08/2026 13:19

Your manager is likely trying to keep you by promising a B7 progression and discouraging you from applying for flexible working and reducing your hours. When it gets to it if you want to reduce your hours they will likely facilitate this as they would rather have you (trained and capable already) for some shifts, than have to advertise for and train someone new (if they are even allowed to advertise and recruit to a vacancy at the moment, there is huge scrutiny in our trust and its very difficult to replace staff who leave). I would apply for flexible working to reduce your current hours and accept this new job, if its permanent. It temp its a bit too much upheaval for a short period of time. But the experience, being on cv, the pay and London weighting, and the specialism will be so good for you. Good luck!

Bobbingtons · 26/08/2026 11:58

I wouldn't rely on bank shifts too make up the time, most hospitals have put as block on hiring Bank staff. My partners cousin was a bank nurse for decades working regularly until this year when it completely stopped for her and she had to go permanent. Also when I was in hospital for a month over Christmas they were permanently understaffed as they were not allowed to bring in bank cover.
Partner also works for the NHS in a back office role and I believe this is current official policy.
Would there be scope for the band 7 role to increase over time? I do also believe that non bank shift cover is available, does your current role have a skillset where you could cover shifts in sickness, etc?

MoonChime · 26/08/2026 11:53

overwork · 26/08/2026 11:48

They may - my mortgage takes NHS bank pay into consideration, 50% of the previous years earnings.

Fair enough. But still halving your affordability (or a proportion of it).

overwork · 26/08/2026 11:48

They may - my mortgage takes NHS bank pay into consideration, 50% of the previous years earnings.

MoonChime · 26/08/2026 11:39

Also if you are looking to buy a house, reducing your take home pay and trying to sub the new role with bank work is a bad idea. Mortgage companies may not take into account bank pay as it’s not guaranteed.