Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

To take Dd for a private scan

67 replies

ProbablyNotThisTime · 17/03/2026 23:39

Dd has had head pain for 4 weeks, she's had a bout of viruses so we assumed it was that but it has persisted. She has described it as a sharp pain when she bends forward, moves, coughs etc. Shes been treated for sinus infection, sinus inflammation as a precaution as she didn't have all the symptoms but to rule it out. Ended up in A&E a couple of nights ago because the pain was so severe and they tried oxygen to see if it was a cluster headache and when that didn't work they just sent us home with nothing other than a vague mention of maybe referring to neurology. Shes not had a single hour without pain in almost a month. Gp isn’t being very helpful and A&E even less so. Thinking of maybe paying privately for a scan just to rule out anything sinister but Dh thinks we should go back to the gp again. We cant really afford the scan but I feel like we're playing a game of pass the hot potato woth the NHS not getting anywhere. Not even sure where to start with getting a private scan.

OP posts:
Tiptopflipflop · 18/03/2026 00:06

The trouble is you don't just need a scan, you need to see a consultant to refer you and help you understand the results. You are right though that if e.g. god forbid a tumour was identified, the NHS would treat.

Look up red flag neurological symptoms. If she has these go to A&E and explicitly list them. They can do a CT scan then and there to rule out anything immediately concerning if warranted.

If not keep going back to the GP.

ProbablyNotThisTime · 18/03/2026 00:05

Bananacharmer · 17/03/2026 23:57

I would go back to the gp and maybe explain that you’re so worried that you’re trying to access a private scan and see what they say.
That said , my teenager had chronic sinusitus after a virus that lasted the best part of a year. One thing I found very reassuring in the short term was to take her for an appointment at an optician, to assess if the optic nerve or anything was affected. I know maybe you don’t think it’s this, but I think any small bit of reassurance or knowledge can be helpful when you’re awaiting referrals etc.

Thank you, I was hoping the sinus treatment would clear it up as she was given a weeks worth of doxycycline and a steroid spray for her nose but it doesn't seem to have changed anything unfortunately.
We have been to the optician and had her eye pressure checked and the optician checked the back of her eyes and all looked fine which was a bit reassuring.
Will definitely call the gp again tomorrow and discuss our concerns/plans to have a private scan.

OP posts:
ProbablyNotThisTime · 18/03/2026 00:00

NoTouch · 17/03/2026 23:54

My SIL asked her GP if she should go for a private scan as waiting lists were 2 years and her problem was causing her problems at work (her employment was eventually terminated on capability grounds due to it).

The GP said to her there was no point getting private scan as what would she do with the results…. Regardless of the results they wouldn’t let her jump the NHS waiting lists for treatment/surgery. It would just mean she would perhaps know what it was, but unless she could afford to pay for private treatment it wouldn’t help her.

Perhaps speak to your GP to find out if they think a private scan is worth doing.

This is what Dh said, but I suppose I'm just wanting to rule out anything sinister quickly so that we can focus on treating the pain. I had assumed that if it was anything sinister the nhs would have to treat her even if the scan was done privately but I've never had private treatment before so unsure how that works.

OP posts:
Wonkywalker · 18/03/2026 00:00

Some GPs can refer a patient for a MRI without first referring them for an appointment with a neurologist. If the wait in your area to see a neurologist is very long then getting the GP to make the MRI referral may give you answers a bit quicker.

BunfightBetty · 17/03/2026 23:59

I would push the NHS one more time. It can be helpful if they refuse to ask them to explain why, and what they think the risks might be of missing something v the risk of doing it unnecessarily.

If they still refuse, take their name and state that you are requesting them to write on her notes that you asked for the scan as you are concerned, and that they refused.

Often the idea that they're on the hook personally if they mess up starts to concentrate their minds.

Bananacharmer · 17/03/2026 23:57

I would go back to the gp and maybe explain that you’re so worried that you’re trying to access a private scan and see what they say.
That said , my teenager had chronic sinusitus after a virus that lasted the best part of a year. One thing I found very reassuring in the short term was to take her for an appointment at an optician, to assess if the optic nerve or anything was affected. I know maybe you don’t think it’s this, but I think any small bit of reassurance or knowledge can be helpful when you’re awaiting referrals etc.

ProbablyNotThisTime · 17/03/2026 23:56

Just looked up Jess' law, thank you I will mention that when I call the GP tomorrow. This will be our 4th time (including A&E) contacting about the same concern this month so hopefully we may get somewhere. Poor Dd is exhausted and it's been so hard seeing her in constant pain.

OP posts:
NoTouch · 17/03/2026 23:54

My SIL asked her GP if she should go for a private scan as waiting lists were 2 years and her problem was causing her problems at work (her employment was eventually terminated on capability grounds due to it).

The GP said to her there was no point getting private scan as what would she do with the results…. Regardless of the results they wouldn’t let her jump the NHS waiting lists for treatment/surgery. It would just mean she would perhaps know what it was, but unless she could afford to pay for private treatment it wouldn’t help her.

Perhaps speak to your GP to find out if they think a private scan is worth doing.

RobinStrike · 17/03/2026 23:51

I second @JustRubySnake. You are entitled to a second opinion, and going 3 times with no answers and getting worse they should refer you elsewhere

JustRubySnake · 17/03/2026 23:47

Hi this sounds awful for all of you. I would perhaps maybe go back to GP, Google Jess's law, may be helpful. tell them you want a second opinion. Your intuition is telling you something. Listen to it.
❤️

Excellentchoice · 17/03/2026 23:46

I'd go back to your GP and request an mri. Just keep going back. Sorry your dd is going through this.

MeganM3 · 17/03/2026 23:45

I would.

ProbablyNotThisTime · 17/03/2026 23:44

She's in that age where peads won't see her and waiting lists for adult neurology are too long given how much pain she's in currently and even trying to get a referral has been a nightmare.

OP posts:
ProbablyNotThisTime · 17/03/2026 23:42

Yes thinking of booking an MRI.

OP posts:
nocoolnamesleft · 17/03/2026 23:42

How old is she? In a child, that would be enough to earn an MRI head on the NHS, but the GP wouldn't be able to order it, they'd have to refer via paediatrics.

ProbablyNotThisTime · 17/03/2026 23:42

Should have said she's 17.

OP posts:
parietal · 17/03/2026 23:40

How old is she? Do you mean an MRI scan or something else?