Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

To ask WWYD - flight home cancelled

258 replies

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:01

Posting for traffic - we are in Sri Lanka and due to fly home on Friday 13th with Qatar airlines, via Doha, to London Heathrow.
we booked through BA -
both BA and Qatar are saying that flights up to 8th March can get a refund.
we think we can fly to Singapore then direct to London- there are not many flights available, and it would cost around £1400 each (double our original flight).

WWYD - should we wait and see if airspace clears over Middle East?
or book another flight while they’re available and hope our original flight remains cancelled?
we can afford it but that will be savings cleared out.
please help
YABU - hold tight, air space may clear
YANBU - book another flight now!

OP posts:
Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 14:25

Yes direct flights from India - sold out in economy now

OP posts:
Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 14:24

BA don’t have to get me home - but chatting with them now to see reroute options

OP posts:
Fends · 03/03/2026 14:16

I’d hold out. It’s not expensive to stay in Sri Lanka, BA have to get you home and work will have to wait! What are they going to do in all honesty?

Swiftie1878 · 03/03/2026 14:13

I’d be booking now and coming home as soon as I could. Things could get a lot worse the way everyone is talking.

niknakw12 · 03/03/2026 14:13

@notimagain thanks, I've got lots of colleagues originally from SL but they always go via the middle east when they go home, one due to go this weekend which won't be happening now.
I know Ethiad go via Maldives as well as Abu Dhabi but thought there was also a direct flight but maybe not

RosesAndHellebores · 03/03/2026 14:10

@Twoshoesnewshoes going against the grain. I'd book the Singapore flights and take a chance on the cancellation. The situation in the Middle East could escalate rather than subside. I'd want a guaranteed route home. This is war. It is likely to increase in brutality. Frankly, £2,800 is peanuts to ensure your safe return.

Squirrelsandhedgehogs · 03/03/2026 14:09

CraftyGin · 03/03/2026 13:57

Originally Emirates. Now on a Thai Airways which Emirates booked automatically (same time and class).

Thanks, that's really interesting as we are flying with Emirates. Was the flight back changed as well or just outgoing? Was it same departure airport? Thanks

garlictwist · 03/03/2026 14:07

Do you have to go back to London? Could you fly to Europe if there are flights available there and then onwards from there?

Littlegreenbauble · 03/03/2026 14:00

Personally I'd get a refund and book a flight the other way, via USA etc. I'm not sure this is going to end quickly unfortunately.

CraftyGin · 03/03/2026 13:57

Florally · 03/03/2026 13:36

Which airline was this with? I’m heading towards a similar situation in a couple of weeks and hoping to just be rerouted.

Originally Emirates. Now on a Thai Airways which Emirates booked automatically (same time and class).

notimagain · 03/03/2026 13:57

@niknakw12

If you're with BA isn't there a direct flight back from Sri Lanka?

From memory it's only been an occasional on BAs network, last time I think it was an extension of their Maldives service, don't think it's on the network at all ATM.

or with Sri Lanka/Air india airlines via somewhere?

Again from memory think there's maybe one Sri Lankan service none-stop a day up to London.

Should be plenty of options via India (suddenly has a thinks bubble about Visas for any transit).

That said I think I'm still in agreement with the view that it's worth the OP holding on for a few days, if their nerves can stand it.

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 13:57

Yes I won’t cancel
the BA one
oof trying to get flights from Delhi to London- they are literally disappearing as I try to book - like getting Kate Bush tickets!

OP posts:
niknakw12 · 03/03/2026 13:51

Qatar website has updated until the 10th now and will update again tomorrow. If you're with BA isn't there a direct flight back from Sri Lanka? Or with Sri Lanka/Air india airlines via somewhere?
If you cancel, you won't get a refund so I'd be holding out and hoping the airline cancels or puts you on another flight. I'm due to fly with Qatar in a few weeks via Doha and hoping it gets cancelled so I'm refunded.

ifonly4 · 03/03/2026 13:50

I'd sit tight.

One tip, somewhere like Skyscanner may just show the only alternative as Kuwait, but if you go onto Sri Lanka airlines and look where they fly to in say Europe, you might be able to get an independent connection from say Paris to London.

Mildorado · 03/03/2026 13:49

Schoolparentbother · 03/03/2026 13:38

Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) and Interruption For Any Reason (IFAR) coverage may still cover flight issues.

Ok. I'm just going on what Simon Calder was advising on the BBC news.
Perhaps some airlines will be kinder.
However, it's worth trying your suggestions.

Heronwatcher · 03/03/2026 13:46

I’d wait a bit longer, but in the meantime check what alternatives might be available in terms of work and warn your boss that you might need to ask for some special
leave depending on how the situation develops.

ParisianLady · 03/03/2026 13:40

I would wait, they will rebook you if they do cancel and the 13th is a long way off.

You’d be second guessing with a rebook and it’s not any less likely to get cancelled. You would then be stressed by the rebook, and waiting for the cancellation that might not come. If you do rebook and have a choice, would go via India which has excellent connections from SL. You can also fly direct with SriLankan Air.

Schoolparentbother · 03/03/2026 13:38

Mildorado · 03/03/2026 13:29

They don't insure war.

Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) and Interruption For Any Reason (IFAR) coverage may still cover flight issues.

Friendlygingercat · 03/03/2026 13:37

Being back for work would be the last thing on my mind. Your employer cannot penalise you for being caugh tup in a situation involving a war that is beyond your control. Its not as if you have deliberately extended your trip to nab a few days holiday. Your safety is the main consideration.The worst you should lose is a few days pay. I would try to negotiate another route with the airline of hang on and wait to see what happens. Emirates and some of the other airlines have beenmanaging to get a few flights out.

Florally · 03/03/2026 13:36

CraftyGin · 03/03/2026 13:00

Wait for your original flight. If it get cancelled, you will be rerouted automatically.

DH is flying to Beijing today, originally through Dubai. The Dubai flight was cancelled last night, and DH got an email to say he was now going via Bangkok on a different airline. No stress at all.

Which airline was this with? I’m heading towards a similar situation in a couple of weeks and hoping to just be rerouted.

Mildorado · 03/03/2026 13:29

Schoolparentbother · 03/03/2026 13:13

This and get it in writing.

They don't insure war.

roses2 · 03/03/2026 13:29

NemesisInferior · 03/03/2026 12:07

Assuming you have travel insurance, getting in touch with your insurers to see what support they can offer would be the first thing to do.

DH is currently stranded in Cyprus with easyjet saying next available flight is Saturday. Called the insurers - Nationwide Flex Plus - via Aviva - who were beyond useless. First of all their IVR took me round in circles for 15 min until I kept saying "speak to someone" on the voice recognition then the guy told me this is a new situation and they are waiting for their underwriters to confirm what is and isn't covered so he said he couldn't tell me if they would cover an alternative flight home!

MmeWorthington · 03/03/2026 13:28

I would hold out - they might instigate a rolling deadline of refunds if the situation continues.

RedToothBrush · 03/03/2026 13:26

CatNoBag · 03/03/2026 13:22

I would say to hold on as long as you can before you pay for any new flights yourself. If BA cancel your flight, they have a duty to get you on a new flight back. It's too early for them to cancel it yet because nobody knows what will be happening this Friday, let alone next Friday, so best case your flight goes ahead as planned (and if you're not on it you won't get a refund), worst case, BA will have to find a way to get you home. The fact you're with BA and not Emirates etc I think is a bonus as they are governed by EU rules. This page might be useful: holidayexpert.com/your-travel-rights-if-your-holiday-has-been-affected-by-the-middle-east-conflict/

This is worth looking at closely both for the flight you currently have and any other you may book as it may affect what rights you have for any subsequent issues.

countrygirl99 · 03/03/2026 13:26

BA will be wanting people who are in a position to to cancel to free up space for passengers who they have to reschedule.