Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

To ask WWYD - flight home cancelled

258 replies

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:01

Posting for traffic - we are in Sri Lanka and due to fly home on Friday 13th with Qatar airlines, via Doha, to London Heathrow.
we booked through BA -
both BA and Qatar are saying that flights up to 8th March can get a refund.
we think we can fly to Singapore then direct to London- there are not many flights available, and it would cost around £1400 each (double our original flight).

WWYD - should we wait and see if airspace clears over Middle East?
or book another flight while they’re available and hope our original flight remains cancelled?
we can afford it but that will be savings cleared out.
please help
YABU - hold tight, air space may clear
YANBU - book another flight now!

OP posts:
Verite1 · 03/03/2026 12:56

I would book alternative flights providing you can get fully (or nearly fully) refundable flights. Otherwise, I would wait and see if they cancel as otherwise you will be paying for both flights and won't be able to claim anything back. Although this is what I am saying, sitting safely in London. If I was potentially stranded overseas I would probably be panic buying (even though not the most sensible option)!

sabababa · 03/03/2026 12:53

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:01

Posting for traffic - we are in Sri Lanka and due to fly home on Friday 13th with Qatar airlines, via Doha, to London Heathrow.
we booked through BA -
both BA and Qatar are saying that flights up to 8th March can get a refund.
we think we can fly to Singapore then direct to London- there are not many flights available, and it would cost around £1400 each (double our original flight).

WWYD - should we wait and see if airspace clears over Middle East?
or book another flight while they’re available and hope our original flight remains cancelled?
we can afford it but that will be savings cleared out.
please help
YABU - hold tight, air space may clear
YANBU - book another flight now!

A lot can heepn until 13th. Emirates has open its airpace for limited flights.
You probably should wait until you can get a refund as they might not refund you if the flight is operational.
So, yes, I'd wait and only cancel once I know I can get a refund as otherwise I could end up paying twice. From Sri Lanka you can get to Indian cities, KL, Singapore, Bangkok or even Addis Ababa so you have options.

SpainToday · 03/03/2026 12:52

Restlessdreams1994 · 03/03/2026 12:33

So if you book the new flights and the old ones aren’t cancelled, does that mean you are paying for two flights?

I’d wait for them to be cancelled personally. Things can change rapidly and you might find your original airline offers you an alternate route in which case you won’t be eligible for a refund.

This is what I would do

JassyRadlett · 03/03/2026 12:51

I would be pushing BA here as they have responsibilities (but they are trying to encourage you to cancel so they have one less thing to worry about out.

It will be a bun fight to achieve but try to get them on the phone and push for creative alternatives as PP have suggested. Ultimately they are perfectly able to book and pay for that Singapore flight for you.

Edit - I misread that your flight was already cancelled. Can you get refundable flights through SIN? That way you can wait out the BA process with peace of mind that you have a backup plan.

JustMyView13 · 03/03/2026 12:50

The risk assessment you need to make is two fold.
Do you want to be on the flight, even if it goes ahead? If the answer is no, then book the flight you can find now, and hope they cancel the flight.
If you are indifferent then wait and watch it play out. The problem will come with how long until you can get the next flight. If it’s after your RTW on the 16 and that’s going to cause you issues, then act now to mitigate them.

I did put YABU because the situation is constantly evolving and BA need to prioritise those who are stranded and with immediate travel needs. My sense is that your flight will get cancelled, but I say that merely on a hunch.

Skybunnee · 03/03/2026 12:50

I was going to say check flights into London -if all US residents of the Middle East are trying to get home London is prob blocked up.
Gladgow? Manchester?…..

AnotherHormonalWoman · 03/03/2026 12:48

Any chance of booking alternative flights fully refundable?

I'd want the reassurance that I had a solid plan B in place, and I can imagine that flights will fill up. but that's me, I'm a nervous traveller at the best of times!

notimagain · 03/03/2026 12:47

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:37

I am due back at work on Monday 16th
BA and Qatar do not seem to offering any alternative, just a refund or extension.

Any options such as connecting (using e.g. Sri Lankan) onto a BA flight out of one their Indian destinations been suggested or offered?

Augarden · 03/03/2026 12:43

Good luck OP, I would be booking the Singapore flights if still available, this could go on for ages.

parietal · 03/03/2026 12:40

Can you work remotely or do you have to be in the uk?

MomoisGogo · 03/03/2026 12:39

Call BA and see if they can rebook on an alternative route. Have options available to speed up the process.

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:39

Flights from Bangkok to London now fully booked all that weekend and into the next week

OP posts:
SewingButterfly · 03/03/2026 12:39

Contact travel insurance, just to see what they say. Its worth a phone call.

If you booked via BA, then contact them. They might be willing to change your route home via Singapore/somewhere else without any extra charges.

Poparts · 03/03/2026 12:37

You either have to be back or you don’t . The airline would like you take the cancellation and re book another way as you are not their problem then.

It’s really a case of can you wait it out or not

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:37

I am due back at work on Monday 16th
BA and Qatar do not seem to offering any alternative, just a refund or extension.

OP posts:
Yellowingtrees · 03/03/2026 12:35

I'd hold tight. My understanding is that uk-based airlines have a responsibility to get you home.

luckylavender · 03/03/2026 12:33

Gonnagetgoingreturnsagain · 03/03/2026 12:06

Hold tight and wait.

If they have jobs then it's not as easy

Restlessdreams1994 · 03/03/2026 12:33

So if you book the new flights and the old ones aren’t cancelled, does that mean you are paying for two flights?

I’d wait for them to be cancelled personally. Things can change rapidly and you might find your original airline offers you an alternate route in which case you won’t be eligible for a refund.

foldinthecheeeeeseeeeeeee · 03/03/2026 12:32

Hold off, if the flight goes ahead you won't be entitled to a refund - if they cancel then you will get a refund and/or an alternative flight.
I would hope your work would understand given it's war and not you wanting extra time.

luckylavender · 03/03/2026 12:32

Solasum · 03/03/2026 12:06

Have you spoken to your insurers?

Most insurers do not insure wars

Statsquestion1 · 03/03/2026 12:24

It might be a pain and will take longer but you could also go via the USA maybe?

Statsquestion1 · 03/03/2026 12:23

What date do you need to be back for work?

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:22

Here’s our insurance exclusion
Any consequence whatsoever which is the direct or indirect result of any of
the following, or anything connected with any of the following, whether or not
contributed to by any other cause or event:
•
war, invasion, act of a foreign enemy, hostilities or warlike operation or
operations (whether war has been declared or not), civil war, revolution,
rebellion or insurrection, civil commotion which is of such severity or
magnitude that it can amount to or be likened to an uprising, military power
(even if properly authorised by the duly elected government), usurped power,

bugger

checking flights, we can go via Singapore or Bangkok, most flights for the 13th/14th are about 70% full so should be okay to wait?

OP posts:
SpringIsSpringing2026 · 03/03/2026 12:12

Personally I'd just wait & hopefully get refunded for the flight. They're cancelling to the 8th now, it'll probably only be a couple of days before they extend it to the 13th.

if it's not refunded I'd take the financial hit & rebook via Singapore. To me it would be a small price to pay not to fly in that airspace.

ive previously flown to NZ transitting in Doha, but it's been a few years since I was comfortable doing that & I certainly won't be again. Shame as it was a nice airport, & easy transfer. I won't go via the states either. At this rate I'm going to have to hope teleporting is sorted soon!

Twoshoesnewshoes · 03/03/2026 12:11

I don’t think we are covered as it is technically war - just checking now
i eould love to stay in Sri Lanka! Need to get back for work unfortunately, also there’s no indication how long the missile attacks could go on.

OP posts:
Swipe left for the next trending thread