Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

Is my boyfriend making excuses not to buy a house with me?

160 replies

LemonBelly · 19/02/2026 09:06

I own my own house, have done for 4 years now. My boyfriend rents and has a preteen daughter.

We decided this year, after lots of thought and discussion, we want to move in together and want to buy rather than rent. We spend most of the time between each others houses anyway but live an hour apart, we are very much a family without the joint house right now.

We chatted about timings and set loose plans that spring is a good time to sell/buy so the first step for me was to get my house valued, which I did. My boyfriend owns his own business and has done for nearly 3 years, but from what I understand he doesn’t take much of a monthly wage, he only takes what he needs and leaves as much as he can within the business. He was concerned that it would be hard to get a mortgage without proof of income but I did a bit of research and it’s not as black and white as that, they can look at the business income etc.

He said his next steps were to file his tax returns and then meet with his accountant. I waited a couple of weeks since that conversation and then asked him how it all went, he said fine and yes he met with his accountant who said all should be fine for a mortgage. And that was the end of that. I asked him a couple of days later what the next steps are, because I don’t want to put my house on the market too hastily, he said he’s waiting to hear back about his tax stuff and then he will let me know and we can book a meeting in with my mortgage advisor. But gave no timelines and no real commitment. It’s hard to explain but he was very flippant about it.

I decided to communicate to him that I felt like he wasn’t as in to this as I am and that it’s fine if he wants to wait, but he said no he would move in with me tomorrow if he could.

I don’t know why I feel so bothered by it, because he’s saying the right things and is doing things to progress. Maybe it’s my lack of understanding about how it works when you own a business or a bit of insecurity. I don’t know what I’m asking for really, some reassurance that I’m going mad and overthinking

OP posts:
Lindy2 · 19/02/2026 10:00

Don't give up your home. You have financial security by having your own property with equity.

Giving that up is a huge risk in my opinion. Especially as your partner is not putting the same into your joint purchase.

As a minimum I'd have a period of time living together in your house to see how you get along 24/7.

My suggestion would be to rent out your property and buy together equally if you really must buy together now. I know you've dismissed this opinion but I strongly suggest you reconsider.

You can use your rental income for mortgage payments so effectively still using your existing home to fund the purchase but whilst keeping the property.

Uptightmumma · 19/02/2026 09:57

sundayvibeswig22 · 19/02/2026 09:11

What tax stuff is he waiting on? If he’s filed his recent return he should be able to get his SA302 online, and the ones from previous years which is proof of income. Is he trying to hide his salary?

If an accountant submits on your behalf you can’t always get them on line. I am a mortgage broker and this time of year is a nightmare for accounts

crasenda · 19/02/2026 09:53

I would leave it for another year. Let the preteen become full teen and assess if your relationship is still working with her.

Honestly, based on what you have said, the matter doesn't strike me as being happy, settled or mutually decided on just yet. Instinctively it seem that neither of you is 100% sure about it. Yet.

As a single person with my own house, much older than you, I have a partner of over 20 years, and neither of us have sold our houses to live together. It's not for everyone. We each value our independence and the security of owning our own homes outright. Our arrangement is similar to your current one, and it works absolutely fine, in fact it's probably the best recipe for a good relationship! No children in the mix though, which should make it easier, but we are happy as we are.

Hold on to your security, and park the process for twelve months is my advice.

Luckyingame · 19/02/2026 09:52

I cannot crawl into his head, OP, however, owning my own (house, apartment), I couldn't think of one reason to buy a living place with a man, if not necessarily to survive.

LemonBelly · 19/02/2026 09:51

thank you for all the replies, it’s hard to answer all the questions

I definitely will not be selling my house until I am 100% sure everything is going to work out okay. And if we do buy together then there will be the proper protections in place, which both of us have already discussed and agreed to, as I will have significantly more deposit than him.

I don’t believe his business is in financial trouble, he has employees that I know that are happy and paid well. It’s been running since after Covid lockdown. He’s done business with my company and my dads company and it’s always been professional and above board. I may be wrong, I guess Ill find out as the process moves along… or doesn’t

OP posts:
plentyofsunshine · 19/02/2026 09:48

LemonBelly · 19/02/2026 09:44

To answer a few questions

I don’t know what tax stuff he’s waiting on, I don’t really understand it but also haven’t asked for more details. I don’t believe he’s trying to hide it, he’s been honest that he doesn’t take much wage although we’ve never said exactly how much.

Im not going to give details on his DD situation but I know that DD wants to live with us and wants to move house, and I’m not stupid to think it will be sunshine and rainbows always. We spend a lot of time together, I’ve seen the good and the bad. And no he’s not reducing his wage so he gives less child support, I know that for sure.

I don’t want to rent my house out and then rent another, we discussed this and looked into it financially but both of us decided that’s not our first choice. And to buy a house with him I need to sell my house as I have a significant amount of equity in it that I need to release.

It's not sounding good. If he doesn't take much wage (and I expect he's paying himself minimum wage) AND he's paying a good amount of child support then he's not going to be able to borrow much (if indeed he can get a mortgage).

Applecup · 19/02/2026 09:46

It sounds to me that - if you already own a house - you will be putting in more financially than he will. I would be careful in case things don't work out.

ForAmusedHazelQuoter · 19/02/2026 09:45

LemonBelly · 19/02/2026 09:44

To answer a few questions

I don’t know what tax stuff he’s waiting on, I don’t really understand it but also haven’t asked for more details. I don’t believe he’s trying to hide it, he’s been honest that he doesn’t take much wage although we’ve never said exactly how much.

Im not going to give details on his DD situation but I know that DD wants to live with us and wants to move house, and I’m not stupid to think it will be sunshine and rainbows always. We spend a lot of time together, I’ve seen the good and the bad. And no he’s not reducing his wage so he gives less child support, I know that for sure.

I don’t want to rent my house out and then rent another, we discussed this and looked into it financially but both of us decided that’s not our first choice. And to buy a house with him I need to sell my house as I have a significant amount of equity in it that I need to release.

Don’t do it.

LemonBelly · 19/02/2026 09:44

To answer a few questions

I don’t know what tax stuff he’s waiting on, I don’t really understand it but also haven’t asked for more details. I don’t believe he’s trying to hide it, he’s been honest that he doesn’t take much wage although we’ve never said exactly how much.

Im not going to give details on his DD situation but I know that DD wants to live with us and wants to move house, and I’m not stupid to think it will be sunshine and rainbows always. We spend a lot of time together, I’ve seen the good and the bad. And no he’s not reducing his wage so he gives less child support, I know that for sure.

I don’t want to rent my house out and then rent another, we discussed this and looked into it financially but both of us decided that’s not our first choice. And to buy a house with him I need to sell my house as I have a significant amount of equity in it that I need to release.

OP posts:
arethereanyleftatall · 19/02/2026 09:43

Also - and I don’t know if this was a typo - ‘tax returns’ with an ‘s’. Don’t you have to do them every year? So it should be ‘tax return’

InterestedDad37 · 19/02/2026 09:42

You're putting your current relative security at risk, for someone who is at best evasive about your future together.
Simple answer: DON'T!!

InMyOodie · 19/02/2026 09:40

@plentyofsunshine I expect he hasn't been filing his tax returns. Or he's been filing them but putting a very minimum income on them (whether true or not). Either of these will mean he could only borrow a small amount or possibly nothing.

Yes, it sounds like that. Has he been taking payments in cash and not declaring it on his returns? That would leave him with a very low official salary for mortgage (or maintenance) calculations.

Or 'leaving money in the business' can also be a way of saying there is no money in the business for him to take a proper salary. It doesn't sound great either way and I'd be careful about tying myself to him financially.

HoppityBun · 19/02/2026 09:40

For goodness sake, don’t buy together unless you’ve seen a solicitor and agreed the basis on which you’re buying together, contributing to costs and what would happen if you separate. Approach this like a business transaction. Because that’s what it is.

ForAmusedHazelQuoter · 19/02/2026 09:38

I think you’ve missed a bullet with his faffing. Keep your own house.

arethereanyleftatall · 19/02/2026 09:34

We don’t know him op, but this procrastination is potentially because he is an abhorrent human being who has been hiding his actual income to both avoid paying taxes, and to avoid paying the correct maintenance amount to his ex. Only potentially of course, he may well be wonderful and is just waiting for whatever as he says. I would sit back and watch a bit first.

BoxingHare · 19/02/2026 09:33

Your opening post reads like a list of reasons for you to not do this. 🚩

Keep the security that you have with your own house and don't endanger that by going in with a self employed boyfriend who either makes no money or who has been false accounting to make it look like he has no money.

Goonyoucanaskme · 19/02/2026 09:33

There might be something he isn't telling you perhaps? Is he secretive about things like his child support arrangements or income or debts?

TFImBackIn · 19/02/2026 09:33

You would be insane to sell your home in order to set up a home with someone like this. God knows what he's up to financially but it's obvious that he will not be able to get a mortgage. Why would you give up all your security to move in with him and his daughter when you haven't lived together before, he clearly isn't transparent financially and the odds are his daughter won't want to live with you anyway? Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to break up? You would be the one to move out - you know that, don't you?

Miranda65 · 19/02/2026 09:31

Sounds like some or all of his tax returns may have been filed late, so he may be worried about an HMRC investigation. It certainly sounds like he isn't financially ready to buy, at least. OP, I would stay where you are for a few years, and then rethink when the daughter has left school. If this relationship is meant to be, it will survive and you will still have lots of years in a joint house.

NewTricks2026 · 19/02/2026 09:30

What’s happening with the equity on your home, are you protecting that?

Its not clear how long you have been together but unless he was contributing an equal share and earns the same as me there is no way I’d be risking my home to go in with someone who was self employed, no previous home ownership and didn’t seem that keen.

Theonlywayicanloveyou · 19/02/2026 09:30

Scottishshopaholic · 19/02/2026 09:27

Would be waiting to get a mortgage in principle with him before putting your house on the market.

But it sounds like he pays himself the minimum so he doesn’t have to give his ex much which is a bit of a red flag

Also this, and it’s very common because the CSA can’t do anything about it

Heronwatcher · 19/02/2026 09:30

I’m not sure if it’s procrastination or he is just working on his own schedule.

Either way though I would think very carefully about selling your own house and throwing in your lot with him and his daughter though. You have your own independence and financial stability. Don’t throw this away lightly especially if you’ve already got niggles that all may not be well.

Can you rent your place out and rent with him first? Or if you like the new area, just sell your place and buy a new one in just your name? Or could he get somewhere himself and you just move in with him for a bit- and look to buy together in a few years?

I’d also completely back off on the plans for the time being while you think things through- you’ve done your bit, now it’s time for him to get his house in order.

Theonlywayicanloveyou · 19/02/2026 09:29

WelshRabBite · 19/02/2026 09:20

You’re giving up a lot here.

You have home-security currently. Any gain in equity you’ve had over the last four years (if there is any because house prices have dropped in many areas) could potentially be wiped out by the stamp duty on your next house and other moving costs.

You haven’t actually tried living together full time yet, what if his DD doesn’t enjoy living with you? Preteens is a REALLY tricky age and comes with massive hormonal fluctuations, a changing body and pressure in the run up to exams etc. Does SHE want this house move?

You could buy a house together (presumably nearer his area so his DD can continue at the same school), find you don’t like the area, his DD hates living with her Dad’s GF and you’ve spent all your money moving and are tied to the house and mortgage indefinitely.

Add into that the fact that your BF doesn’t seem that keen on the move anyway. Have you really thought this through?

I came to say all these things

Scottishshopaholic · 19/02/2026 09:27

Would be waiting to get a mortgage in principle with him before putting your house on the market.

But it sounds like he pays himself the minimum so he doesn’t have to give his ex much which is a bit of a red flag

Datadriven · 19/02/2026 09:27

Just to say - I don’t know the legal implications these days but many years ago before we married, DH and I bought a flat together. I put up the deposit from sale of my previous flat, and his (higher) salary gave us the ability to borrow a decent amount, far more than I could have achieved alone. We saw a solicitor and signed legal documents which specified who would get what when we sold, in case things went sour. Can’t remember the full details but I think I was due to get a higher proportion of any uplift to start with (as I had put more ££ into the property) but over time that proportion changed as he put more ££ monthly. In the end we married so didn’t use the arrangement, but it was reassuring to know already that we would have had no issues down the line.

Also, I agree with PP - don’t push it with your DP. Wait and see what he says and does - this will tell you a lot about how he feels. I can’t see how it will benefit you to rush things if he’s not ready as you have a lot more to lose in terms of your stability, cost of buying/selling etc.

Hope it all goes well for you :-)

Swipe left for the next trending thread