Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

Help a desperate mum with this NHS question

39 replies

Ladyfromthehill · 25/01/2026 19:25

Posting for traffic.
I have an SEN nonverbal child. A few days ago he developped a very worrying sympton that has massively got worse. We went to A&E, but they sent us out with nothing as it's not 'urgent'.
GP will try to see if we can be referred to pediatrician. Which can take months. It's unbearable to see him like this and we can't wait (last time it took them 7 months to see us).
I am so desperate I am trying to see if we can't be seen by a private neurologist in the meantime to exclude some things (or confirm what diagnostics would be necessary).
Would that exclude us from being able to use NHS? I have been trying to google but havent had a conclusive answer.
I cant afford a fully private treatment/diagnostics as it would costs thousands by the looks of it, but I just want someone who knows something about the area to give us some guidance, and something I can go to GP/pediatrician with.

OP posts:
CakeIsNotAvailable · 25/01/2026 23:47

If a patient is entitled to NHS care, that doesn't change just because they've seen a private doctor. I am a private doctor and routinely refer back into the NHS if appropriate.

Shutuptrevor · 25/01/2026 23:39

So to answer your question, I’ve recently seen a private consultant- he also runs the local NHS clinic but the waiting list was 9 months and I was desperate. He’s referred me for an NHS CT scan and the waiting time was only 2 weeks. So you can mix and match, in my experience.

Have you tried videoing your child experiencing this new symptom and showing it to doctors?

Ladyfromthehill · 25/01/2026 23:34

Wtfdoidoplease · 25/01/2026 19:50

If you’re talking about seizures/absences then I know someone who went though this and they did go private then transfer back to NHS. However they did also keep going to A&E when their child had an episode. Try recording what’s happening if you can bear to - will be useful for the doctors. My friend really had to fight but she got the right diagnosis in the end.

Please don’t be put off going to A&E if you feel it is needed. You may encounter a different doctor who decides they need to be on a ward, especially if the issue is getting worse.

I don't know what were really experiencing. The doctor we see in a&e thought it was "ok", it wasn't. I left with a really heavy heart as everyone around us sees how bad things got quickly. His teachers are really concerned. I think we're going to go back again very soon... 😥

OP posts:
Ladyfromthehill · 25/01/2026 23:30

Hankunamatata · 25/01/2026 19:32

Think problem would be if they confirm that nothing can be done without certain diagnostic tests and you can't pay for them privately then your back to square 1 waiting for nhs.

But at least I'll know I'm not imagining things or that we are looking the right way.

OP posts:
Theextraordinaryisintheordinary · 25/01/2026 20:03

It’s often the same consultant doing some NHS work as well as some private work anyway. You will still be seen by an NHS consultant if you proceed with private tests. All the best.

SAH07 · 25/01/2026 20:03

My son started to have seizures, we didn't realise what they were at the time, we presented to a&e multiple times, and despite multiple daily seizures, which were then presenting quite clearly as seizures by this point we had a 7 month nhs wait to see a paediatrician.
Fortunately my husband has private healthcare so we saw a private neurologist who undertook various tests.

By the time we saw the NHS paediatrician my son was referred straight to great ormond street.

To be honest it did help to see the private neurologist, he gave a diagnosis of sorts and started meds but he didn't specialise in paediatrics and so his knowledge of children and modern meds wasnt the best.

My advice would be to pester the nhs, keep on going back, and try ot get details of who you will be seeing and enquire about cancellations

Shakethedisease · 25/01/2026 19:54

See if your GP can refer you to the AMU for another clinician to examine your son quickly. It's the sort of holding pen for people coming in through A&E who need seeing but aren't a blue light level emergency -but you can get referred to it same day if your GP is worried enough and think you need examining very quickly.

Wtfdoidoplease · 25/01/2026 19:50

If you’re talking about seizures/absences then I know someone who went though this and they did go private then transfer back to NHS. However they did also keep going to A&E when their child had an episode. Try recording what’s happening if you can bear to - will be useful for the doctors. My friend really had to fight but she got the right diagnosis in the end.

Please don’t be put off going to A&E if you feel it is needed. You may encounter a different doctor who decides they need to be on a ward, especially if the issue is getting worse.

NoctuaAthene · 25/01/2026 19:38

You can chop and change to an extent yes - so if all you want is some guidance and advice, by all means pay for the private specialist. But be aware that that is literally all you will get for your money, if the private specialist recommends more diagnostics or follow-up or seeing another specialist, unless you can pay for those privately too you'll need to wait on NHS waiting lists. Private prescriptions for medications will also cost more (although your GP may be able to prescribe if medication needed on an ongoing basis).

Obviously you don't have to post your child's medical details but are the symptoms/conditions you are worried about something that can definitely be diagnosed just from examination and history (no need for CT/MRI/EEG?), and are you sure it's a neurologist you need? Just feeling it could be a more frustrating experience than helpful if the neurologist essentially says they can't tell you much without you either again waiting on NHS or £££?

MissyB1 · 25/01/2026 19:32

No, seeing someone in private doesn’t mean you can’t still be in the NHS system. So yes you could see the private neurologist and get a report or letter from them to take to a paediatrician. Just be aware the IT systems won’t talk to each other, so the NHS paediatrician won’t be able to see anything done at the private hospital. So take a hard copy of any consultation.

Hankunamatata · 25/01/2026 19:32

Think problem would be if they confirm that nothing can be done without certain diagnostic tests and you can't pay for them privately then your back to square 1 waiting for nhs.

BlueMum16 · 25/01/2026 19:31

I have private healthcare via work for me and DC.

You can be on a NHS waitlist and be seen privately.

You need a referral to the correct consultant though so if you are on a waitlist for paediatrics I'm not sure why you think neurology.

Each appointment is about £250-300 plus tests.

Happyher · 25/01/2026 19:29

Why don’t you ask your GP this question. I don’t think you’ll get a conclusive answer here. Your GP may well recommend a private consultant

GreenPoms · 25/01/2026 19:27

What is the symptom, are you sure it would be a neurologist the you need?