Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

Sticky job hunting situation. Advice needed

38 replies

Quaver213 · 24/01/2026 12:32

Not sure I’ve posted in the right place, but I’d appreciate some advice.

I recently took up a role as Finance Director at a company (started six weeks ago). In doing so, I accepted a slight pay cut (c. 5%). Unfortunately, I feel I was materially mis-sold the role during the interview process in several ways:

  1. I knowingly joined as the number two in the team, but was told there would be a transition plan for the current lead over 3–6 months, as they were moving into another internal role. That internal move has since fallen through, meaning I will remain number two for significantly longer than I would be willing to.
  2. The team I am inheriting is materially different from what was described. Between accepting the role and starting, two members of my UK team (1/3 of the team) were made redundant, with the work offshored to India. I had no involvement in this decision. I am also being told that I need to make further cuts.
  3. There is a culture of bullying within the team, which has resulted in the lowest employee satisfaction scores in the company.
  4. I was told I would be eligible for a pro-rata bonus and pay rise. In reality, there have been no pay rises at my seniority level for three years, and the pro-rata bonus is not guaranteed. Given that I took a pay cut and forfeited my bonus at my previous employer by handing in my notice, I feel particularly misled by this.

I became aware of a couple of these issues before even starting. By that point, my replacement had already been hired and it was too late to reverse my decision, so I started submitting job applications immediately.

My dilemma is this. I have been interviewing with another company and the process is now at an advanced stage. When I applied, I had not yet started at my current employer, so this role does not appear on my CV or application. Someone I know that works in HR advised me to keep quiet about my current situation until the opportunity had real traction, on the basis that there was nothing to disclose unless it progressed.

Now that all interviews have been completed, is this the point at which I should inform the company I am interviewing with about my current role, before a decision is made, or should I wait until a formal offer is received?

In any case, it will come to light during employment verification checks, so I assume I will need to disclose it at some stage. I’d welcome views on the timing and best approach.

OP posts:
Itsmetheflamingo · 24/01/2026 15:14

ByQuaintAzureWasp · 24/01/2026 14:03

That won't be an option.

Why not? What are they going to do contact every company in the country to check whether OP currently works for them? Assuming you haven’t told people yourself Op ie linked in.

if it comes down to a straight question about it the contractor response is ok.

Itsmetheflamingo · 24/01/2026 15:11

Hi OP I do the same role as you. I wouldn’t tell them about the current all. How would they find out? I can’t see any risk and it brings no benefit to tell them.

you don’t have to tell employers everything (outside of statutory obligations obv) and there is nothing wrong with keeping some privacy

saltinesandcoffeecups · 24/01/2026 15:07

I’m surprised it hasn’t come up already, did they not ask during the interview when you were available to start? Or about an employment gap? Honestly that seems like an orange flag or at least a really really pale pink one.

At some point that question will be asked so I would just lean into the bit about the transition to #1 not happening. Don’t bring up the rest, it’s just noise. That’s very easy to explain and will be understood. It’s also not uncommon for roles to not work out shortly after starting.

edwinbear · 24/01/2026 14:55

Have you told outright fibs about how you’re spending your time at the moment, or just not offered the information that you’ve started a new job? Any outright lies would be a red flag in an FD job (as I’m sure you know), if you’ve just omitted to update them on a change in circumstances, if they offer you the job, you just need to say their recruitment process has taken a little while and you’ve now started a new job in the meantime.

Cerialkiller · 24/01/2026 14:45

'The role wasn't as advertised' if further questions, clarify that the person you were supposed to be replacing stayed in role and subsequent redundancies made you uncertain about your future there and you are looking for a long term, stable role.

Quaver213 · 24/01/2026 14:39

Mlddleoftheroad · 24/01/2026 14:36

If you were still working at the previous company when you submitted the application then the cv was accurate . Application. Why would you even mention it?

Not accurate since I have been interviewing with them. Whilst my continued employment at my previous company hasn’t been a focus of the interviews, I have also on my part lied about my current circumstances or at the very least, not even mentioned where I am at the moment.

OP posts:
Mlddleoftheroad · 24/01/2026 14:36

If you were still working at the previous company when you submitted the application then the cv was accurate . Application. Why would you even mention it?

FlowerFlour · 24/01/2026 14:33

juls1888 · 24/01/2026 14:23

I'd wait for a formal offer and then disclose your current situation. If they ask what the story is then simply explain that you applied for the role and immediately number 2 (the redundancies) happened, which made you lose confidence and want out. Anyone with half a brain would understand that, everyone craves stability. Then play on the one-month notice period being a huge benefit. The shit sandwich approach, if you like.

This is really good advice.

Redundancies in your team immediately before you joined the company would be a glaring red flag for anyone. As you say the rest of your CV shows only 3 jobs in 17 years, they'll know you're a person who wants a stable company and not something unpredictable.

juls1888 · 24/01/2026 14:23

I'd wait for a formal offer and then disclose your current situation. If they ask what the story is then simply explain that you applied for the role and immediately number 2 (the redundancies) happened, which made you lose confidence and want out. Anyone with half a brain would understand that, everyone craves stability. Then play on the one-month notice period being a huge benefit. The shit sandwich approach, if you like.

ByQuaintAzureWasp · 24/01/2026 14:07

Tricky one. I would wait for an offer then update my CV and send it to HR, advising that ive updated to reflect current employment which has changed since my initial application submission.

Quaver213 · 24/01/2026 14:03

Clarinet1 · 24/01/2026 12:38

Could you gloss over the six-week period (which does include Christmas and New Year after all) and say you visited a couple of friends overseas or needed some medical treatment?

I was thinking about this but doubt it. I would still be subject to 1 months notice.

I was thinking about saying my current job is an interim/contracting assignment. Or just fessing up.

Not sure how it will land. On one hand it would create doubt as to my commitment (though my CV reads 3 companies in 17 years so not a pattern) or become advantageous, as my notice period would be far less (1 month vs 3 months).

OP posts:
ByQuaintAzureWasp · 24/01/2026 14:03

Clarinet1 · 24/01/2026 12:38

Could you gloss over the six-week period (which does include Christmas and New Year after all) and say you visited a couple of friends overseas or needed some medical treatment?

That won't be an option.

Clarinet1 · 24/01/2026 12:38

Could you gloss over the six-week period (which does include Christmas and New Year after all) and say you visited a couple of friends overseas or needed some medical treatment?