Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

Get vendor to budge

33 replies

bunnny · 11/01/2026 15:14

Hi I am asking for advice again having sold my home and moving into a Airbnb for 3 weeks has I was worried about losing my buyer. I need to get the vendor of the house I want to buy to agree on a date after agreeing twice then changing her mind. Do I walk away or pursue a little longer. I am officially homeless and am beginning to panic.
anybody been in a similar position. Would be grateful for any advice please

OP posts:
New posts on this thread. Refresh page
UncannyFanny · 12/01/2026 01:28

bunnny · 11/01/2026 19:49

No my house sold about 5 months ago. And I put an offer on the house I want to buy. All the paperwork was done and everybody agreed on dates then she cancelled at last minute. So another date was put in which we all agreed on and last minute she cancelled on again. My buyer said they would walk away so I agreed to sign the contract and stick to the date and go through with the house move.

Sounds like you buyer had more sense then. If you honestly can’t see that you are not going to get anywhere with someone who keeps cancelling this late in the process then there’s nothing anyone can say. You’ve already lost your money with this woman. She’s not serious about moving.

SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 20:07

bunnny · 11/01/2026 19:49

No my house sold about 5 months ago. And I put an offer on the house I want to buy. All the paperwork was done and everybody agreed on dates then she cancelled at last minute. So another date was put in which we all agreed on and last minute she cancelled on again. My buyer said they would walk away so I agreed to sign the contract and stick to the date and go through with the house move.

So what’s with the thread you started 5 days ago
saying your buyer is going to walk?

bunnny · 11/01/2026 19:49

No my house sold about 5 months ago. And I put an offer on the house I want to buy. All the paperwork was done and everybody agreed on dates then she cancelled at last minute. So another date was put in which we all agreed on and last minute she cancelled on again. My buyer said they would walk away so I agreed to sign the contract and stick to the date and go through with the house move.

OP posts:
SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 18:46

5 days ago you started a thread saying your buyer might walk away.

Now you’ve sold and moved out? In 5 days?

SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 18:44

bunnny · 11/01/2026 17:45

Solicitors fees I’ve moved out of mine hopefully on a contract date has the Airbnb is a small fortune for 3 weeks. Plus I’ve had to but my furniture in storage for 2 months. If this doesn’t work out I’ve got to go into renting also costing an arm and a leg

So no survey done?

SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 18:44

Arlanymor · 11/01/2026 18:42

I'm not the type to kick people when they are down. I guess you are. Perfectly calm.

Commenting that it was a huge risk

and it was.

So my advice is to accept that it was a risk, cross fingers, fire up rightmove, and ask solicitor to drop their solicitor a line.

@bunnny have you had a survey done?

Arlanymor · 11/01/2026 18:42

SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 18:39

Oh calm down 🤗

I'm not the type to kick people when they are down. I guess you are. Perfectly calm.

SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 18:39

Arlanymor · 11/01/2026 18:22

What an incredibly helpful comment - I bet OP is thrilled to hear your observation.

Oh calm down 🤗

Ophy83 · 11/01/2026 18:32

Get on to both the solicitor and estate agent tomorrow morning and get them chasing matters and pressing for exchange - the solicitor can see if there's a hold up on the legal end but can only talk to the seller's solicitor. The estate agent can talk to the seller directly - surely they want the commission so they need to find out what the hold up is

Arlanymor · 11/01/2026 18:22

SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 18:18

You took a big risk and you have not even exchanged!

What an incredibly helpful comment - I bet OP is thrilled to hear your observation.

Sameshitedifferentdaze · 11/01/2026 18:22

bunnny · 11/01/2026 17:45

Solicitors fees I’ve moved out of mine hopefully on a contract date has the Airbnb is a small fortune for 3 weeks. Plus I’ve had to but my furniture in storage for 2 months. If this doesn’t work out I’ve got to go into renting also costing an arm and a leg

That was your choice though, nothing to do with the person you are selling from. In your shoes I would set and date and stick to it so say by this Friday if not exchanged then I pull out. Mean it then walk away.

SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 18:18

bunnny · 11/01/2026 17:45

Solicitors fees I’ve moved out of mine hopefully on a contract date has the Airbnb is a small fortune for 3 weeks. Plus I’ve had to but my furniture in storage for 2 months. If this doesn’t work out I’ve got to go into renting also costing an arm and a leg

You took a big risk and you have not even exchanged!

PluckyChancer · 11/01/2026 18:01

We sold our house, put everything into storage and moved hundreds of miles away.

We found a holiday rental that was available for the winter months and stayed there for about 6 months in all, which gave us time to find another house and buy it.

In your shoes, I’d start looking for a longer term rental to take the pressure off and enable you to pull out of the purchase if your vendor doesn’t make a firm decision within the next couple of weeks.

Arlanymor · 11/01/2026 17:54

bunnny · 11/01/2026 17:45

Solicitors fees I’ve moved out of mine hopefully on a contract date has the Airbnb is a small fortune for 3 weeks. Plus I’ve had to but my furniture in storage for 2 months. If this doesn’t work out I’ve got to go into renting also costing an arm and a leg

As I say, get your solicitor to send a letter - I wouldn't faff about with estate agents at this stage of the game. You need a legal letter. She can respond how she wishes, but it will have more psychological weight.

mondaytosunday · 11/01/2026 17:52

Do you haven’t exchanged yet? This is tough. I’d start looking. I’ve been in this circumstance and first time seller lied that she would go into rental. Second guy was good to go then silence and turns out he was ill, though after me spending another month in airbnbs, finding another place and paying to rush through the conveyancing he magically reappeared- too late buddy. Your woman doesn’t want to move.

bunnny · 11/01/2026 17:45

Solicitors fees I’ve moved out of mine hopefully on a contract date has the Airbnb is a small fortune for 3 weeks. Plus I’ve had to but my furniture in storage for 2 months. If this doesn’t work out I’ve got to go into renting also costing an arm and a leg

OP posts:
SmittenApple · 11/01/2026 17:29

How far in to the process are you? How much have you spent?

itsthetea · 11/01/2026 17:16

You contact the agent and ask them to set you up with new viewings

you keep your offer on the table but make it clear that’s only because uou haven’t signed another contact yet

and you make comments about declining house prices that may be to your benefit

being no chain puts you in a really strong position these days

UncannyFanny · 11/01/2026 17:11

bunnny · 11/01/2026 15:34

No there’s no chain. The lady has found an empty flat had all the search’s done a few weeks ago but she won’t sign the contract. Agrees on a date then 2 weeks before cancels and says she needs more time.

Then I’d go against what other people are saying. She’s a time waster . You need to pull out and start again because you’re not going to get anywhere with somebody this indecisive. Your not cutting your nose off, your stopping any more time being wasted by her. Once is bad enough, twice is taking the piss. Just pull out and let her mess someone else around.

Malbecfan · 11/01/2026 16:24

This is when Estate Agents earn their fee. 1st thing tomorrow call them and ask why the vendor is dragging her feet. Also ask what similar properties they have on their books as you are ready and willing to move. They will want their money so let them lean on her.

GAJLY · 11/01/2026 16:10

bunnny · 11/01/2026 15:34

No there’s no chain. The lady has found an empty flat had all the search’s done a few weeks ago but she won’t sign the contract. Agrees on a date then 2 weeks before cancels and says she needs more time.

I think you need to contact her estate agent and ask what’s going on? As you’re not sure if it’s going to fall through and you need to look around for an alternative property. They will soon get to the bottom of it.

Arlanymor · 11/01/2026 15:59

All you can do is set a deadline via your solicitor - state that you need to be exchanged/completed by the end of February (for example), otherwise you will be pulling out and looking for another property. Express the fact that there have already been two delays - without any reason given by the vendor - and this is now impacting things at your end (you don't have to say how or what). Your solicitor needs to send this out to her tomorrow with a response required before the end of the working week - i.e. 16 January. Play hardball - if she's ultimately going to flake out it's better that you know sooner rather than later.

HappyFace2025 · 11/01/2026 15:58

FuckOffWithYourFlannelNonsense · 11/01/2026 15:55

@15.34 The OP states that the vendor has found somewhere

Yes, I saw that, but it sounds as if the vendor hasn't actually done anything to move that purchase forward so she isn't in a position to sell her property to OP.

The lady has found an empty flat had all the search’s done a few weeks ago but she won’t sign the contract

So the contract is ready to sign and exchange but the vendor is dragging her feet. Not unusual I'm afraid.

FuckOffWithYourFlannelNonsense · 11/01/2026 15:55

@15.34 The OP states that the vendor has found somewhere

Yes, I saw that, but it sounds as if the vendor hasn't actually done anything to move that purchase forward so she isn't in a position to sell her property to OP.

The lady has found an empty flat had all the search’s done a few weeks ago but she won’t sign the contract

HappyFace2025 · 11/01/2026 15:52

FuckOffWithYourFlannelNonsense · 11/01/2026 15:50

No there’s no chain

But you can't buy from her until she has secured a future purchase. That's what a chain is.

@15.34 The OP states that the vendor has found somewhere.