Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

To say my DP can't take a job offer ?

164 replies

Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:39

We have 2 children one is 5 , the other 11 months (due to start childcare in Jan ). My partner has been offered a new job by his old boss more money and more exciting job.

The problem is he would have to stay away one night a week (4 hours away ) leaving the house at 5/6am returning back the next day at 10pm. I work in a job I enjoy compressed hours having Thursdays off and doing a few hours on a Friday. I then start early and work once kids are in bed . I go into London 2-4 times a month depending on meetings etc (mainly all external). I'm not seeing how we could make this work without majorly compromising our lifestyle. We both wfh at the moment , Monday - Wed i tend to do a couple of hours work between 6 and 8 then do the school run, I would not be able to juggle this on his days away. The deal was I do school runs 5 days a week, he does the Childminders 2 days again I don't think this would happen . Right now we have a nice balance , compared to most people I know.

The only way I can see it working is we have a nanny (which defeats the pay rise object) or i fully drop a day a week which would mean loosing 17k a year . I dont want to do this as I like having enough money so if he leaves for whatever reason me and the kids don't have to move etc etc .

Lastly we have medical insurance through his work and I'm waiting for complicated major surgery and our insurance is via his work.

AIBU to say I don't want him to take it ?

OP posts:
FestiveBauble · 17/12/2025 20:57

Which night a week does he need to stay away? Would it not work if he stayed away Wednesday nights as then on Thursday if you’re not working that day then the school runs etc are compromised? Then he’s back late Thursday ready to help again on Friday? Especially if you’re wfh on the weds too?

Then he does childminder mon / turs, works away weds - thurs and is back Fri?

FlippyKiYayFlippyFlipper · 17/12/2025 20:56

I don’t think YABU OP. You’re a team and this would negatively affect you massively.

I wouldn’t be impressed if my DH was considering a job like this which would increase my stress levels less than a year after giving birth.

Why does he want a stranger caring for his kids for long days?

it just isn’t feasible and is unfair on you. He should be supporting you getting back into you career after 2 children.

SodiumNitritePlease · 17/12/2025 20:56

Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:53

He hasn't said he will take it. And quite frankly I would not be able to take the job he has been offered as the house wouldn't work with me away 2 days a week. So I'm not sure why it should be any diffent for him .

If you have a family it's a family decision. Not just your decision. Noone is telling anyone what to do clearly we are going to discuss it .

But your title says AIBU to tell him he can’t take the job offer. Obviously, you agree that you WBU to tell him he can’t take it.

Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:54

SodiumNitritePlease · 17/12/2025 20:49

Of course you can say you don’t want him to take it but you can’t say he can’t take it (as the title of your post)

We are going to sit down to discuss it . I more sowant people's views on the situation not how we discuss it , maybe I should have worded the title better....

OP posts:
Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:53

He hasn't said he will take it. And quite frankly I would not be able to take the job he has been offered as the house wouldn't work with me away 2 days a week. So I'm not sure why it should be any diffent for him .

If you have a family it's a family decision. Not just your decision. Noone is telling anyone what to do clearly we are going to discuss it .

OP posts:
Minnie798 · 17/12/2025 20:50

If you were offered a new job that you were excited about and wanted to take but your dp said you couldn't , how would you feel?
I personally wouldn't be impressed and I'd expect us to figure out a way to make it work- together.

SodiumNitritePlease · 17/12/2025 20:49

Of course you can say you don’t want him to take it but you can’t say he can’t take it (as the title of your post)

Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:48

toomuchfaff · 17/12/2025 20:43

Ask him what his suggestions are for childcare and household activities to enable him to take the job?

He suggests a nanny for the two days a week he would be in Childminders. However to me his pay rise is just covering this cost which seems ridiculous. When he will be missing the boys for two days a week . I cant see him taking it and my career not taking a massive hit and my stress levels !

OP posts:
Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:46

Dozer · 17/12/2025 20:45

nanny won’t be affordable. Dropping a day a week will be detrimental to your pension and likely also your career.

Thanks for the response .We would only need a nanny two days and could afford it . However as you say I absolutely don't want to put myself in this situation. He is the higher earner. But I have a very wealthy Dad who left multiple women and I'm not risking it for myself

OP posts:
Dozer · 17/12/2025 20:45

nanny won’t be affordable. Dropping a day a week will be detrimental to your pension and likely also your career.

Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:45

We are getting married in March . I have family wealth as such , but even still i don't want to depend on my family. So I want to feel secure on my own if anything happens .

OP posts:
toomuchfaff · 17/12/2025 20:43

Ask him what his suggestions are for childcare and household activities to enable him to take the job?

Dozer · 17/12/2025 20:43

You say ‘partner’ not ‘husband’, so IMO as your post implies you’re not wealthy you shouldn’t compromise your work for his.

Hercthro · 17/12/2025 20:43

Just to add we don't need the extra money it's a nice to have situation and isn't massive amounts

OP posts:
Swipe left for the next trending thread