Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

Decision: cancelling visitation this one time

37 replies

Timetogetgone · 11/10/2025 10:05

Hi all,

I’d really like to hear what others would do in this situation.

My EXHB and I do not have a co parenting relationship. It’s still very strained after 4 years apart (mostly because of this continuous abuse and also, him making extremely poor and bad choices regarding our child).

Anyway. My ex had asked for a one off longer visitation in November. I agreed. It was only a day and half more and I had no issue.

However, our child has now been scheduled to have their tonsils and adenoids removed about 5 days before the elongated visitation.

My ex is a pretty rubbish dad, I’ll be honest. He uses our child as a pawn and usually ends up fobbing them off on his mother or new girlfriend. I do not trust him at all (due to many, many previous times where he’s made bad mistakes).

I have spoken to friends and family who have all said to postpone the elongated visitation as our child will still be recovering from the operation.

Yes, I am a worry wart and I obviously don’t want my child away from me after having surgery.

Would you cancel visitation? Or let it go ahead.

I’ve many years of sustained physical and mental abuse from this man (currently in therapy) but I still worry about his reactions to me (he tends to ‘punish’ me in other ways now if he doesn’t get want he wants) .

Any advice.

OP posts:
ladybirdsanchez · 11/10/2025 11:01

I definitely would not let a post-operative DC go to this man. My DSis had her tonsils out and was very unwell for a few days afterwards, but anyone who has had an operation needs quite, calm, comforting surroundings in which to recuperate and get their strength and appetite back. Your DC will be on a very restricted and special diet initially, so that's a very good reason to cancel, if you know that your ex will not take good care of them.

CarrotVan · 11/10/2025 11:01

My son was off less than a week with his tonsillectomy. It was a lot less disruptive than tonsillitis

But putting off the surgery by two weeks seems like the least contentious option here. It’s worth asking the hospital

ManchesterGirl2 · 11/10/2025 10:57

Could you ask whether you could postpone the operation to two weeks later, after they're back?

Timetogetgone · 11/10/2025 10:48

MumChp · 11/10/2025 10:47

Cancel. No doubt.

Thank you.

OP posts:
MumChp · 11/10/2025 10:47

Cancel. No doubt.

Timetogetgone · 11/10/2025 10:41

I’ve had a few people vote I’m unreasonable but I’d just like to know why, as I’m genuinely asking what others would do.

OP posts:
Timetogetgone · 11/10/2025 10:40

Namechange822 · 11/10/2025 10:38

Why did he ask for the extended visitation? Is it for something specific fixed to a date like a wedding? Or just for time together?

He didn’t say. I basically have zero idea where my child goes when they’re with their dad.

OP posts:
Timetogetgone · 11/10/2025 10:39

ChewyMints · 11/10/2025 10:36

It's about your child. So - how long os dc expected to be off school for? If they won't be at school in between the visit and the op then you probably have good cause.

Also - why does he want a longer visit? Is there a special event happening? Dc may not have energy for anything special. They might manage to lie on a sofa for example but not 6 hours at a family party.

Hi, so it’s advised that he’s off for 2 weeks. The operation is on a Monday so they’ll miss out on two full weeks of school.

My ex won’t tell me anything about what they’re up to but he has eluded to ‘lots of super fun things’ (that could be at home on the sofa or a theme park - I have no idea) but I do believe he’s booked things and my child would be expected to be up and out which I wouldn’t want. But honestly, even if my child was just at theirs dad’s for 3 and 1/2 days I’d still want them with me as it’ll only be 5 days after the operation and we still co sleep (they’re 5 years old).

OP posts:
Namechange822 · 11/10/2025 10:38

Why did he ask for the extended visitation? Is it for something specific fixed to a date like a wedding? Or just for time together?

ChewyMints · 11/10/2025 10:36

It's about your child. So - how long os dc expected to be off school for? If they won't be at school in between the visit and the op then you probably have good cause.

Also - why does he want a longer visit? Is there a special event happening? Dc may not have energy for anything special. They might manage to lie on a sofa for example but not 6 hours at a family party.

Timetogetgone · 11/10/2025 10:33

Swiftie1878 · 11/10/2025 10:32

Cancel. Your child needs a good week to 10 days to recover and needs close care and attention, especially around hydration.

Thank you. I’ve been reading up on recovery and I just want to ensure I can really keep a close eye on him.

OP posts:
Swiftie1878 · 11/10/2025 10:32

Cancel. Your child needs a good week to 10 days to recover and needs close care and attention, especially around hydration.