Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

To go abroad on holiday (EU) 2 days after DH has major surgery?

83 replies

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 15:28

Name change for this one as could be outing.

DH has Dupreten's contracture. Had surgery on both hands twice. All good with his right hand, but his left hand is becoming more claw-like & increasingly useless to him. I have to help him dress - he can't manage buttons, had problems putting on socks, doing up shoes, I have to cut up his food as he can't manage a knife & fork, all kind of little things. It's a big frustration to him & he hates needing my help. I get that.

He saw the consultant recently who has said he can have more surgery on his left hand, which hopefully will release his 3 forefingers, but he needs his little finger to be removed. He has a surgery date of 29/9/25 & after that he will have his arm elevated in plaster cast for at least 8 weeks. Surgeon has warned him that he will need help dressing etc for some months afterwards & risk of infection etc. We're booked fly out to Madeira for 14 days on 3/10/25. I've said it's too close to his surgery & he should delay his surgery until we get home. He's said 'no' as he wants it over & done with ASAP. I have every sympathy with his feelings, but I'm concerned that he will be in the early stages of recovery & not a good time to go on holiday, especially to somewhere that is likely to be warm (which is why we booked Madeira in October). We have holiday insurance, but they won't pay out as they regard it as elective surgery that could be booked for after our holiday. I must confess that I'm concerned that my holiday will be ruined by caring for post-op DH rather than enjoying travelling around the island etc.

As it stands DH has left a message with consultant's secretary to say that we're due to fly abroad 2 days after surgery & would this be OK. We have yet to hear back. I strongly suspect that they will say that he's not safe to travel abroad due to the risk of infection, the fact that he will have had a general anaesthetic so soon and many other reasons.

But, my question is: AIBU to ask him to delay his surgery until we get home?

OP posts:
rubyslippers · 06/09/2025 15:36

getting your husband this surgery will massively change his quality of life and health
you don’t prioritise a holiday - you get him well
no he won’t be able to fly 2 days after surgery and if he’s in a cast

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross · 06/09/2025 15:34

Surely you prioritise the surgery? You can’t possibly even be considering the idea of going on holiday two days after a major operation like that! It’s insane!

ladybirdsanchez · 06/09/2025 15:33

OP it's insane to even attempt this. Two days after major surgery? FGS move the holiday to a time when you know you can go and both, hopefully, enjoy it. Generally, rebooking for another time is fairly straightforward.

Messingwithmyheadagain · 06/09/2025 15:33

you are being so unreasonable it’s not funny op. Prioritising a holiday over your dh’s health and wellbeing is inexcusable
All I can hear from your post is me me me.

WalkDontWalk · 06/09/2025 15:33

Reasonable to ask. Perfectly reasonable of him to decline.

But you’ve already asked. And he’s already declined.

So what you mean is ‘Would it be unreasonable of me to bang on about this until he gives in?’

Elisheva · 06/09/2025 15:32

You won’t be allowed to fly that soon after surgery and with a plaster cast. Even if you were would your insurance cover him if he had complications while on holiday.

SmallChild · 06/09/2025 15:31

Are you mad?

GreenAndWhiteStripes · 06/09/2025 15:30

How long has he had to wait to get the surgery date? Is he likely to have to wait a long time for the next date?