Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

To go abroad on holiday (EU) 2 days after DH has major surgery?

83 replies

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 15:28

Name change for this one as could be outing.

DH has Dupreten's contracture. Had surgery on both hands twice. All good with his right hand, but his left hand is becoming more claw-like & increasingly useless to him. I have to help him dress - he can't manage buttons, had problems putting on socks, doing up shoes, I have to cut up his food as he can't manage a knife & fork, all kind of little things. It's a big frustration to him & he hates needing my help. I get that.

He saw the consultant recently who has said he can have more surgery on his left hand, which hopefully will release his 3 forefingers, but he needs his little finger to be removed. He has a surgery date of 29/9/25 & after that he will have his arm elevated in plaster cast for at least 8 weeks. Surgeon has warned him that he will need help dressing etc for some months afterwards & risk of infection etc. We're booked fly out to Madeira for 14 days on 3/10/25. I've said it's too close to his surgery & he should delay his surgery until we get home. He's said 'no' as he wants it over & done with ASAP. I have every sympathy with his feelings, but I'm concerned that he will be in the early stages of recovery & not a good time to go on holiday, especially to somewhere that is likely to be warm (which is why we booked Madeira in October). We have holiday insurance, but they won't pay out as they regard it as elective surgery that could be booked for after our holiday. I must confess that I'm concerned that my holiday will be ruined by caring for post-op DH rather than enjoying travelling around the island etc.

As it stands DH has left a message with consultant's secretary to say that we're due to fly abroad 2 days after surgery & would this be OK. We have yet to hear back. I strongly suspect that they will say that he's not safe to travel abroad due to the risk of infection, the fact that he will have had a general anaesthetic so soon and many other reasons.

But, my question is: AIBU to ask him to delay his surgery until we get home?

OP posts:
CarlaLemarchant · 07/09/2025 05:40

Op, don’t know why you’re getting such a hard time, it sounds like a really difficult situation and you don’t sound remotely selfish, just trying be realistic about weighing up the practicalities of post op recovery against the holiday and the loss of money cancellation would incur.

Your DH does not sound like he is being realistic. He needs to recover at home. It needs to be checked with the travel insurance and airline but I doubt he would even be able to travel that soon after the op. Hopefully being told this officially would put an end to that train of thought.

So you’re absolutely right to involve the surgeon in the discussions. If the delay to the op would only be a few weeks, have it after you come back. If it would be substantial, go ahead with the op and take the hit on the holiday..

I’m not too impressed with your travel insurance company though, he’s having a finger amputated and has current care needs not a boob job for aesthetic reasons. I think refusing to pay out due to being elective surgery should be challenged, maybe through a complaint/ombudsman procedure. His condition has deteriorated to the point the surgery now sounds essential and this is the date they’ve provided him. This is what travel insurance is for.

WiddlinDiddlin · 07/09/2025 05:13

AmyDudley · 06/09/2025 16:05

Did you miss that OPs DH is having a finger amputated (so more risk of infection) and that he willl have his arm in an elevated cast.

OP - from what you describe your DH must be in a lot of pain and will be desperate for his op. i would never ask someone to delay an operation for a holiday. And even if he is allowed to fly, it takes a good few days to recover form GA and he will be in a lot of pain, and without being too grim if they give him strong painkillers he will have to be dealing with constipation, drowsiness etc.
Really not ideal on holiday.
Is there anyone who can look after him (just to pop in a couple of times for the first few days and help with anything he needs) and you go away either on your own or see if a friend/ family member will come.
Its not practical for him to go, and he is perfectly reasonable to not cancel his op. (hopefully he won't get cancelled on the day of the op as sometimes happens)

No I didn't miss it - its a finger, not a leg or an arm, it'll be dressed and in a cast, as long as he keeps it elevated and takes his pain medication regularly and doesn't something stupid like try to unblock a bog with it, the infection risk is not really more significant than the infection risk from the other surgical wounds he'll have.

Did you miss that he wants to go on holiday, is an adult, can make his own decisions and has had several similar ops before so knows very well what he'll feel like afterwards?

They're also going on a nice relaxing holiday to Madeira, not flinging themselves down black runs in Switzerland. This makes the 'had a finger amputated' significantly less of a worry.

PoshDuckQuarkQuark · 06/09/2025 17:36

@chocolatebiscuitforme my best mate got scheduled for a hernia operation just 4 days before their booked holiday (and just 4 weeks notice). The surgeon said she absolutely should not be travelling so soon after the operation, so the hospital moved the operation for her to a date 4 weeks later. She actually wanted to enjoy the holiday too.

My mum had exactly the same for a cataract operation as the travel company wanted consent from the hospital that she would be fit to fly, and the hospital said no. There is a clause in the insurance about this.

Your DH is being ridiculous. The NHS frequently move non urgent operations for people. It's normal. Why on earth would he want to spoil the holiday. It's almost as if he wants to be in a nice warm climate with you waiting on him hand and foot!

Miniaturemom · 06/09/2025 17:28

You are probably better off discussing it again once you have the info about how long you would have to wait if you rebook the surgery. It could be a short wait! I wouldn’t want to be in pain on holiday, but should you need it, medical care in Madeira is really very good (lived there for a while and my oldest was born there).

Neemie · 06/09/2025 17:11

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross · 06/09/2025 16:12

I think it’s because most of us who have required any sort of hospital appointment or treatment have had to wait months and months and months, sometimes even years, for it and have sometimes had the frustration of having appointments changed or cancelled with very little notice. Little surprise that we tend to be ‘weird’ about the NHS and tend to grab onto opportunities to be seen with both hands. If I were waiting to have life-changing surgery like the OP’s DH is, I certainly wouldn’t be worrying about my two weeks in Madeira.

Once you have been shunted up the list, I have found it is possible to change appointments to within a reasonable time of the original one. It may be because my experience involved multiple surgeries so a lot of people had to shift things around a bit. It is definitely worth a go though.

Mnjmnj · 06/09/2025 16:56

@WiddlinDiddlin He is having a finger amputated. That’s not a small thing.

SirHumphreyRocks · 06/09/2025 16:52

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 15:47

Just to make it clear - I'm saying to delay surgery as I think he will be in a better place to manage the pain & inconvenience of post-op if he's had a nice holiday before surgery. It's him who's determined to have the surgery on 29/9/25.

I think that he's got no idea how bad he's likely to feel post-op. Not just the physical aspects but the psychological aspect of having a finger amputated.

If I could I'd claim on the insurance & cancel the holiday, but that's not possible because, as I say, they regard it as elective surgery that could be delayed. It's costing us about £2k & we can't afford to kiss goodbye to that amount of money.

I'm hopeful that the surgeon will say no to him going on holiday within a couple of days of surgery.

My surgeon advised against flying for just a broken finger surgery, and I was flying 10 days later. To be honest, he didn't say I couldn't / shouldn't go - I did press him on that point - but he said he wouldn't do it. Since he wouldn't say one way or the other I was stuck (insurance wouldn't have paid out) and went, and it was fine. But no way on God's earth would I fly after what you describe, and I also can't imagine the surgeon agreeing. Also, you may have insurance but they will need a premium extra to cover that (if they will cover it at all) if you went. My broken finger doubled my annual policy. It was £370 extra.

notimagain · 06/09/2025 16:52

@chocolatebiscuitforme

Apologies if I missed it but have you checked the airline's T&Cs?

The plaster cast in itself might be an issue and some airlines require clearance from their own medics/medical clearance team before carriage so soon after surgery.

It would be a shame to say the least to get as far as the gate or even the aircraft and then be denied boarding.

JSMill · 06/09/2025 16:51

I misunderstood. YABU to delay the surgery.

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:44

TomatoSandwiches · 06/09/2025 16:42

It's not a life or death surgery fgs, and it's ops husband that seems to be so bloody minded about wanting everything how he wants it, but he doesn't get to decide certain things like being refunded for a holiday.
I would look at how much of a wait he is likely to have if the surgeon rebooks after September op, a couple of weeks won't matter much in the grand scheme and I think you're right, recovery would be better after a holiday.

Edited

Thank you - my thoughts exactly, but OK with sucking it up & losing the holiday if that's our only option. As I say, DH health comes first. I'm sure if it was me he would say the same.

OP posts:
chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:42

CoastalCalm · 06/09/2025 16:39

Have you checked about travel insurance ? I’d expect the premium to be very prohibitive so soon after anaesthesia and surgery even if he’s signed as ok to travel

We buy holiday insurance on an annual basis as we take several holidays a year, I am aware it will need to be declared & will probably put our premium up - Que Cera.

OP posts:
TomatoSandwiches · 06/09/2025 16:42

It's not a life or death surgery fgs, and it's ops husband that seems to be so bloody minded about wanting everything how he wants it, but he doesn't get to decide certain things like being refunded for a holiday.
I would look at how much of a wait he is likely to have if the surgeon rebooks after September op, a couple of weeks won't matter much in the grand scheme and I think you're right, recovery would be better after a holiday.

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:39

ReadingSoManyThreads · 06/09/2025 16:36

"I've said it's too close to his surgery & he should delay his surgery until we get home. He's said 'no' as he wants it over & done with ASAP. I have every sympathy with his feelings, but I'm concerned that he will be in the early stages of recovery & not a good time to go on holiday, especially to somewhere that is likely to be warm (which is why we booked Madeira in October)."

Why don't you read a snippet of what you've written in your OP, and see if you can now see just how selfish of you this is.

You very much come across that your holiday is more important than your husband's condition or post-surgery recovery. You really do not come across well at all in this post. I feel sorry for your husband.

If you read my posts you will know that I've always been keen on foregoing the holiday in favour of DH's surgery. It's him who's determined to do both not me.

OP posts:
CoastalCalm · 06/09/2025 16:39

Have you checked about travel insurance ? I’d expect the premium to be very prohibitive so soon after anaesthesia and surgery even if he’s signed as ok to travel

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 06/09/2025 16:37

Obviously you delay the holiday not the surgery. I mean obviously.

WalkDontWalk · 06/09/2025 16:37

To be fair to you, OP, your subsequent posts come across as more reasonable - and sympathetic - than the first one.

ReadingSoManyThreads · 06/09/2025 16:36

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:22

Why?

"I've said it's too close to his surgery & he should delay his surgery until we get home. He's said 'no' as he wants it over & done with ASAP. I have every sympathy with his feelings, but I'm concerned that he will be in the early stages of recovery & not a good time to go on holiday, especially to somewhere that is likely to be warm (which is why we booked Madeira in October)."

Why don't you read a snippet of what you've written in your OP, and see if you can now see just how selfish of you this is.

You very much come across that your holiday is more important than your husband's condition or post-surgery recovery. You really do not come across well at all in this post. I feel sorry for your husband.

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:35

Herberty · 06/09/2025 16:28

Just read about the planned knee op - would suggest you buy some smart crutches rather than rely on the standard nhs or the arthritis nhs ones - the nhs crutches have added to my clawed hand difficulties . The smart crutches put the pressure on your forearms rather than your fingers. Even months after hand surgery he risks a tendon rupture if he uses nhs crutches.

Thank you - we've bought the kind of crutches that support you on the forearm rather than the usual kind. Luckily it's his left knee so he can have his crutch in his right arm. Though, of course, in saving his left leg, his right one is now giving problems.

OP posts:
Herberty · 06/09/2025 16:28

Just read about the planned knee op - would suggest you buy some smart crutches rather than rely on the standard nhs or the arthritis nhs ones - the nhs crutches have added to my clawed hand difficulties . The smart crutches put the pressure on your forearms rather than your fingers. Even months after hand surgery he risks a tendon rupture if he uses nhs crutches.

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:27

jonthebatiste · 06/09/2025 16:00

you want to have the surgery AND not lose money on the holiday. The only option is to delay the surgery to after the holiday. I can’t imagine there would be any joy in going on holiday, by air, two days after a GA and an amputation. Wound will need checking, dressings changed, antibiotics administered, he’ll probably still feel a bit woozy. The worst option is to have the surgery and then go away.

I get he wants it dealt with asap, but this is just the way the NHS goes with dates and you can’t afford to lose the 2 grand. What else is there really.

I agree. I suspect that the surgeon will say no to us flying 2 days after his op.

To make it clear IF IT'S A CHOICE BETWEEN MY DH'S HEALTH & A HOLIDAY DH'S HEALTH TAKES PRESICENCE. Can I make it clearer?

OP posts:
Iocainepowder · 06/09/2025 16:27

I think you’re unreasonable to even suggest you delay his op until you know how long the wait would be.

But even then, please take into consideration that the NHS can be a mess and even if he is given another date shortly aftet the holiday, there is a risk they can change it again.

I needed surgery last year and they changed my date 4 times, delaying it a further month.

I would cancel the holiday and take the surgery. It’s also not you having to live with the condition.

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:22

ReadingSoManyThreads · 06/09/2025 16:21

This has got to be the most selfish thread I've ever read on here.

Why?

OP posts:
ReadingSoManyThreads · 06/09/2025 16:21

This has got to be the most selfish thread I've ever read on here.

Herberty · 06/09/2025 16:21

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:05

Thank you for your help. It's difficult dealing with a pugnacious man sometimes. Yes- his headmaster once called him pugnacious in a school report & his mother made him look it up in the dictionary. 😂

I was working in bed the day after surgery with 25 stitches in one hand and then back at work the next day with someone to drive me and carry the bags. Not what I would recommend but I was young and foolish and ended up having more surgery. However I do think you need to be pugnacious to have this type of problem and get on with life !

chocolatebiscuitforme · 06/09/2025 16:19

He's not in pain as such - he gets cramps in his hand, but, as he says, no way as bad as the pain in his knee-he's waiting for a knee replacement op & has been for over a year. After waiting for so long for a knee replacement, we never expected this op to come up so soon. But, as I say, I get how he wants it out of the way and, if it comes to it, I'm willing to forgo the holiday. There will be others.

But it's DH who is determined that he will be able to go on holiday & is looking at booking boat trips & other excursions. I'm saying hang on darling, let's see what the surgeon has to say first, we may not be able to go at all.

OP posts: