Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to not fight for custody

232 replies

Franklekirk · 23/08/2025 22:42

I’m in a really awful situation. Very outing but my 11 year old son came home on Sunday and told me he wants to move in with his dad. We split up 3 years ago and son has been with me since, sees his dad every other weekend and half the holidays.

son found the divorce very difficult to accept and has had counselling at primary school. We’re very close. dad wanted him to live with him, I’ve always said sons choice.

dad is very manipulative/ narcissistic. Over the years him and his mum have constantly bad mouthed me to my son, which he has found very upsetting. All sorts but things like calling me a “fucking fat pig”, making up all sorts of reasons he divorced me (I eventually kicked him out after numerous affairs), and telling me son they’d call social services on me but I’d lie to the social worker (I’ve said I’d welcome this as there is nothing to report).

however he’s obviously had a nice couple of weeks there with 1 week abroad. He’s told me he wants to move there for the start of secondary. Problem is this is 2 hours away so would mean moving to a school he’s not looked around (but his cousins go there).

my sons been sold a lifestyle, such as being told maintenance should go to the child so he can have a football season ticket etc whereas we don’t have spare finances (I do work full time in a well paid job but have a very expensive mortgage im
tied into which is another story of ex….).

as well as the huge financial implication on me, but this doesn’t effect the decision as that’s my issue not his.

I obviously want to fight to keep him but I don’t think it’s the right decision as legally his dad can keep him as we have no custody agreement, my son wants to go and at 11 gets a say. Yes ex is a prick but my son still has contact with him and will actually be nicer to him if hes “won”.

im arranging mediation to give my son someone impartial to speak to but we only have 1.5 weeks until he starts secondary and would starting here as planned and moving a couple of months later impact him
negatively?

Everyone says I should fight but I think I should listen to my son. Please help, I’m lost

OP posts:
JLou08 · 23/08/2025 22:50

I'd be saying he needs to start secondary school, do the mediation and then see how he feels in a few months and then you will talk to him about the decision. This is too big of a decision for an 11yo to make alone, his views are important but he needs time to consider what he wants rather than an impulsive decision.

abracadabra1980 · 23/08/2025 22:50

I’d fight for my son too; at 11 he’s not emotionally well equipped enough to know what he’s choosing. Also his dad sounds like an immature prick, so I’d want emotional stability for my child.

Franklekirk · 23/08/2025 22:50

@Laura95167 i have made it very clear

OP posts:
BabyCatFace · 23/08/2025 22:49

Well obviously he can't move now, he won't have a school to start at. So you can tell him that he needs to stay with you for at least a term and give the new school a chance. If he stlll wants to move in with dad you'll find him a school near dad and he can move once he has a place. He may love the school and forget about the wish to live with dad. Or he won't, and you can do it in a planned way.

Franklekirk · 23/08/2025 22:48

Thisisntme1 · 23/08/2025 22:45

I think I’d fight for my son in this case

This was obviously my first instinct, but why?

OP posts:
Laura95167 · 23/08/2025 22:48

Id let son choose. Sometimes being a good parent is about doing whats best for them, and best is sometimes figuring it out themselves.

Id just make it ridiculously clear to DS hes always, always, always welcome to come home

Thisisntme1 · 23/08/2025 22:45

I think I’d fight for my son in this case