Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

To want to send an angry email to our house buyer after he pulled out days before exchange

235 replies

Parkingbird · 28/05/2025 22:48

We sold our house in late Feb and we were so close to getting a date to exchange - we were looking at early June. Buyer wanted an earlier date in late May, but we were out of town so it wasn't possible. Then we received news that he pulled out yesterday. I'm devastated as it took us a long while to sell and also we may now lose our dream house - no word if our seller is willing to wait for us.

We have never communicated with our buyer but a quick Google search turns his company profile up and I'm this close to sending him an angry email asking why he chose to pull out and how he has wasted our time and money, and all the effort involved to change my toddler's preschool and activities etc, not to mention the risk of losing our new home!!! I know this changes nothing but I want him to know what his actions have done to us.

This system is so broken. Why can't a deposit be made so that nobody can back out as and when they like???

OP posts:
Nananananana80 · 29/05/2025 12:26

Also worth adding as you don't know what their circumstances are, and it could be unavoidable/painful you could really annoy them by contacting them. It's possible whatever issue they had could resolve and they could be back on in the future so don't shoot yourself in the foot. This is the reason that they tell you it's one of the most stressful things you can do. Good luck with everything. Sometimes as painful as it is better things come when other things fall away.

tripleginandtonic · 29/05/2025 12:22

ASundayWellSpent · 29/05/2025 12:21

These situations could be so easily avoided! In Spain you sign a "intent to buy agreement" and pay a deposit. If buyer pulls out they lose the deposit. If the sellers pull out they have to return double the deposit. Works easily enough over here!

Before or after a survey?

ASundayWellSpent · 29/05/2025 12:21

These situations could be so easily avoided! In Spain you sign a "intent to buy agreement" and pay a deposit. If buyer pulls out they lose the deposit. If the sellers pull out they have to return double the deposit. Works easily enough over here!

PhilippaGeorgiou · 29/05/2025 12:12

Parkingbird · 28/05/2025 23:02

We couldn't exchange while we were away as the buyer wanted to move in immediately and we don't have the time to move our things out.

So you were allowed to delay things for your own convenience, but when they did something for theirs "it shouldn't be allowed". Have you consdiered that your own refusal to exchange could be behind this - perhaps in that time they found somewhere else, circumstances changed, they got cold feet about the house....

Skandar · 29/05/2025 12:12

I agree that our system isn't great, and it is VERY stressful.

But did your estate agent not talk to you about your buyers' position? When we moved recently our estate agent was clear with us about when our buyers' were hoping to move. Likewise we were clear with the agents selling the house we were buying. Once we were nearly done with all the paperwork, our solicitors started talking about completion dates and we got that pencilled in while we waited for the final bits to come in. Once all the paperwork was sorted we exchanged straight away and firmed up our completion date.

So it seems odd to me that you didn't have an idea already about when your buyer was hoping to get things completed, and if you were in a position to exchange, why you didn't just do that and agree to a later completion date that worked for all parties? If, as others have suggested, to him this was a 'this date or I pull out' I would have expected the estate agent/solicitors to have been making that clear.

Of course, its entirely possible its not for any of those reasons, or that the estate agent or solicitors aren't very good, or had no idea.

Hopefully you can get another offer in place quickly and it won't delay things for you too much. But lesson learnt, until exchange happens, don't do anything!

Pigsears · 29/05/2025 12:10

Do you think he might be playing you?

Because given how close you are, the alternative (renting...? buying elsewhere...?) are all going to be longer.

Maybe he will come back and say... 'OK, I'll buy but for X-y rather than X'.

I'd double check with your solicitor that the buyer is 100% gone.

Alternatively, if it's going to risk your next house going, would you drop the price to entice him? Depends what you situation is, how much it will cost you not to move etc etc

LlynTegid · 29/05/2025 12:07

Lobby your MP. If they are Labour, point out that their housing policy will not fully achieve its aims whilst the spivs charter remains for England and Wales. Suggest that the quickest change would be to apply the same principles as in Scottish law.

Helloworlditsmeagain · 29/05/2025 11:58

Parkingbird · 29/05/2025 10:24

Hi everyone, thank you for your responses! No, don't worry, I'm not going to make myself (and my unwilling husband) look like nutters so I won't email him... not that my husband was going to agree anyway!!

For the record, us being out of town shouldn't have made a big difference as there was still no date when we went overseas. It was only when we were away (for a grand total of 5 days) that our buyer wanted to exchange+complete by end of May. We pushed back slightly to first week of June, and that sadly triggered him.

As far as I'm concerned, the reason for him pulling out was that he waited for too long. Even though his own solicitors had some queries which pushed the dates back by 2-3 weeks.

Next time listen to your buyer not his solicitor he has the money to make things move. His solicitor would have completed by the end of May.

Helloworlditsmeagain · 29/05/2025 11:53

Parkingbird · 28/05/2025 23:02

We couldn't exchange while we were away as the buyer wanted to move in immediately and we don't have the time to move our things out.

That's your problem not his. He wanted to buy your house quickly why sell your house if you're not prepared?

GasPanic · 29/05/2025 11:52

Hoppinggreen · 29/05/2025 10:22

We sold a property is Spain last year and both we and the buyer had to deposit 15% of the price into an account after the offer was made an accepted and if either of us had pulled out the other party would have kept it

You can do that in England too.

It's just that both parties would have to agree to it rather than it being imposed on you by law.

UnintentionalArcher · 29/05/2025 11:52

CapitalAtRisk · 29/05/2025 10:37

He wanted to complete a few days later, in late May. OP said no because it didn't suit her. So here she is now, complaining about him on MN instead of packing up to move.

Wasn’t the OP out of the country when that request was made though, meaning that they physically couldn’t do this? Or have I misunderstood?

Icedcaramelfrappe · 29/05/2025 11:36

I actually would email him

Larna4t · 29/05/2025 11:35

abricotine · 28/05/2025 23:26

X posted with update from OP -
sounds like solicitors weren’t great here and possibly cost the sale. Why did queries take weeks?
hope the viewing goes well and I hope the solicitors do a better job if you will continue to use them.

Why did queries take weeks?

Queries always take weeks.

Renabrook · 29/05/2025 11:34

I would reply 'yes we pulled out it was whim because we were bored and just wanted to inconvenience you, it was a dare and we had nothing better to do'

So no I don't think writing will do anything, what would you hope the reply to be?

Westfacing · 29/05/2025 11:17

I can understand your frustration but the buyer will presumably have thought hard about pulling out at this stage, having paid out for a survey and solicitors fees for work done so far. So he will be out of pocket if that's any comfort.

BeenzManeenz · 29/05/2025 11:16

How is that going to help? I get you're upset and frustrated but taking it out on the buyer achieves nothing.

That's the way our housing market works, and contract law. Annoying as it is.

I know someone who had to pull out of a house very late on because he lost his job and wouldn't have been able to make the mortgage payments. He was gutted as well. There are so many reasons for people pulling out.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, but no I don't think an email is appropriate. Focus your energies on finding another buyer.

RedBeech · 29/05/2025 11:13

I agree OP that a non refundable agreement of sale fee should be made by both sides as soon as a sale is agreed - so that if you do get time wasters, at least you are not out of pocket. The seller's fee could be refunded if the same completes but used to compensate the buyer for survey and conveyancing fees incurred if the seller changes their mind or goes with a gazumper. It would stop people from making casual decisions that play havoc with other people's lives.

MrsSkylerWhite · 29/05/2025 10:56

JoyfulSpring · 29/05/2025 10:40

@MrsSkylerWhite good luck, I hope you are one of the rare cases this happens for. If you spend any time on the moving board on MN you'll see most people are 6 months plus even in a short chain.

Thanks.

This is our 7th sale/purchase, over 36 years. With one outlandish exception that dragged on and on until they pulled out, and one 2 week sale (!), that has been about right.

Bought the flat we’re moving to in Scotland on about 9 weeks. So much simpler than in England.

Thisismyalterego · 29/05/2025 10:56

Many years ago now, I had the unenviable task of contacting an estate agent to tell them that unfortunately my FIL had died suddenly at work and would therefore not be in a position to go through with the purchase of a property. This was the day before exchange was due. I am sure that the vendor would have been unhappy that the sale fell through, but that was nothing compared to how my DH and the family felt at the sudden loss of their husband and father at such a young age.
OP, rant away as much as you need, but don't email your buyer - you have no idea why they have decided to pull out at such a late stage and as PPs have said, with all the costs already incurred, it's unlikely to be something they've done lightly.

mikado1 · 29/05/2025 10:53

JoyfulSpring · 29/05/2025 10:33

Sorry but currently the process is more like 6 months plus after agreeing a sale and people should be very aware of that from the estate agents when offering. Cheap solicitors taking on too much has completely screwed things over. We offered on our house in August last year, we didn't move until the end of March this year. There were no real hiccups, it was down to my seller's solicitors being slow and doing nothing from October to February when I started threatening to pull out.

It's clear a lot of people on this thread haven't been through the process recently. Once you're in a slow chain you're better off staying put than pulling out and starting another 6 months process. And the OP made it clear her buyer wanted to exchange and complete on the same day which she couldn't do. It sounds like he sprung this request on her. I'm sure she understands the process!

Wow. Must be a UK/Ireland difference. We are in the process again! Should be in within that same 8/9 week timeline.

LittleBitofBread · 29/05/2025 10:42

mondaytosunday · 29/05/2025 10:38

I’ve pulled out of purchases usually when the seller has been somewhat dishonest (saying they are happy to go in to rental then after me getting survey and searches saying they can’t sell until they find an ongoing purchase), had sellers back out on me (once due to ill health, once as they ‘changed their minds about selling’, twice got gazumped - always after I had done the surveys and searches etc). So totally agree the system in this country is appalling. Though I disagree with you @LittleBitofBread as the solicitors have to be transparent with costs and I’ve be we had one go over the initial fee stated.
OP I hope you find a buyer soon.

Okay, but I just meant that in my experience with house buying and selling an awful lot of money gets spent on solicitors, and they often delay things (a friend's house purchase recently was delayed for weeks on end because of her solicitor being away/unresponsive).

JoyfulSpring · 29/05/2025 10:40

@MrsSkylerWhite good luck, I hope you are one of the rare cases this happens for. If you spend any time on the moving board on MN you'll see most people are 6 months plus even in a short chain.

BarbaricYawp · 29/05/2025 10:39

No way is 2 months the norm! More like a land speed record, especially where there's a chain.

mondaytosunday · 29/05/2025 10:38

I’ve pulled out of purchases usually when the seller has been somewhat dishonest (saying they are happy to go in to rental then after me getting survey and searches saying they can’t sell until they find an ongoing purchase), had sellers back out on me (once due to ill health, once as they ‘changed their minds about selling’, twice got gazumped - always after I had done the surveys and searches etc). So totally agree the system in this country is appalling. Though I disagree with you @LittleBitofBread as the solicitors have to be transparent with costs and I’ve be we had one go over the initial fee stated.
OP I hope you find a buyer soon.

CapitalAtRisk · 29/05/2025 10:37

JoyfulSpring · 29/05/2025 10:33

Sorry but currently the process is more like 6 months plus after agreeing a sale and people should be very aware of that from the estate agents when offering. Cheap solicitors taking on too much has completely screwed things over. We offered on our house in August last year, we didn't move until the end of March this year. There were no real hiccups, it was down to my seller's solicitors being slow and doing nothing from October to February when I started threatening to pull out.

It's clear a lot of people on this thread haven't been through the process recently. Once you're in a slow chain you're better off staying put than pulling out and starting another 6 months process. And the OP made it clear her buyer wanted to exchange and complete on the same day which she couldn't do. It sounds like he sprung this request on her. I'm sure she understands the process!

He wanted to complete a few days later, in late May. OP said no because it didn't suit her. So here she is now, complaining about him on MN instead of packing up to move.

Swipe left for the next trending thread