Talk

Advanced search

Mermaids and the Lottery - are they hoping we'll forget?

(21 Posts)
teawamutu Wed 16-Jan-19 21:44:21

It's been about a month, wondering whether NL is trying to do a Jess Bradley.

I note a petition demeaning they get the money has a whole 200ish signatures.

FlyingOink Wed 16-Jan-19 21:58:14

I think we've lost that one, they don't seem to care.
I wrote to them telling them why I was cancelling my account and they sent me back a standard letter saying it's the government's fault, basically.
I know it is, but I don't care. I won't be spending one more penny with Camelot. If enough people did likewise they could go complaining to the government themselves for loss of sales.
(Children in Need as well. Not a penny. They give hundreds of thousands to Mermaids too).
I looked into the Health Lottery but I can't see a complete list of beneficiaries.

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly Wed 16-Jan-19 22:01:15

i'm awaiting my FOI request, due by 24 jan

let's see what they come up with .....

GerryblewuptheER Thu 17-Jan-19 07:40:17

Seems to be the response of choice doesn't it.

So far waiting on lottery , no, nspcc, and Girl guiding to respond.

We haven't forgotten right.

Stone wall have been quiet aswell on the AC front.

One big collective silence

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Thu 17-Jan-19 07:52:41

Yes, they will hope the public forget.

Nothing is going to change, but the public are getting that little bit more informed.

GCSocScientist Thu 17-Jan-19 09:24:13

Great work BernardB, keep the pressure on.

HumberElla Thu 17-Jan-19 09:29:56

Bernard well done for the FOI. They will do well to squirm out of presenting the facts at least. Watching with interest, and I won’t be forgetting either.

Beamur Thu 17-Jan-19 09:32:44

Guides have a new CEO in place now.

GerryblewuptheER Thu 17-Jan-19 09:37:31

Guides have a new CEO in place now

She has not responded as of yet to the the comments on Twitter asking her about reviewing the policies after the Verita report findings.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 17-Jan-19 09:42:16

So do we know if the lottery has given them the money?

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly Thu 17-Jan-19 17:58:37

hah! by coincidence I received this email today from the Big Lottery Fund:

We have handled your request under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (“FOIA”).

You have requested the following information:
1. A copy of the funding application
2. The minutes of the meeting in which the application was discussed
3. copies of any email or postal communications with Mermaids regarding the grant
4. copies of any internal email communication within the Big Lottery Fund (“the Fund”) regarding the grant

Unfortunately, we require further time to respond to your request. This is because we believe that information falling under the scope of your request may be commercially sensitive or may form part of a future publication.

Therefore section 22(1) and 43(2) of the FOIA is engaged.

Section 43(2) states:
s. 43 (2) Information is exempt information if its disclosure under this Act would, or would be likely to prejudice the commercial interests of any person (including the public authority holding it).

Section 22(1) states:
s.22 (1) Information is exempt information if—

(a) the information is held by the public authority with a view to its publication, by the authority or any other person, at some future date (whether determined or not),

(b) the information was already held with a view to such publication at the time when the request for information was made, and

(c) it is reasonable in all the circumstances that the information should be withheld from disclosure until the date referred to in paragraph (a).

We have therefore enacted section 10(3)(b) of the FOIA which states:

s.10 (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), a public authority must comply with section 1(1) promptly and in any event not later than the twentieth working day following the date of receipt. (3) If, and to the extent that (a) section 1 (1)(a) would not apply if the condition in section 2 (1)(b) were satisfied, or (b) section 1 (1)(b) would not apply if the condition in section 2(2)(b) were satisfied the public authority need not comply with section 1(1)(a) or (b) until such time as is reasonable in the circumstances; but this subsection does not affect the time by which any notice under section 17(1) must be given.

It is impractical for us to make a decision within the 20 working day period to determine if it is in the public interest to withhold this information. We are therefore extending the time to respond to your request by a further 20 working days to 14 February 2019, although we will endeavour to respond before then. I do apologise for the delay.

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly Thu 17-Jan-19 18:00:01

I think my favourite bit is this

It is impractical for us to make a decision within the 20 working day period to determine if it is in the public interest to withhold this information

under what circs would it be in the public interest for them to withhold data about how they decided to spend a shit load of data harvested from the public??

ChickenonaMug Thu 17-Jan-19 21:05:26

Bernard whilst I am not entirely sure that I understand the reasons they have delayed a full response to your FOI request I am really hoping that it is because the complaints have highlighted some real issues.

GerryblewuptheER Thu 17-Jan-19 21:19:37

Well that explains it all hmm

OlennasWimple Fri 18-Jan-19 00:54:54

It is impractical for us to make a decision within the 20 working day period to determine if it is in the public interest to withhold this information

That's basically code for "this is really difficult and we are trying to find a way to withhold the info but we haven't made an argument which will convince our legal advisors yet so we need more time to figure out how we are going to avoid giving you what you want"

ALittleBitofVitriol Fri 18-Jan-19 01:05:57

They may as well have just typed in big bold letters:
DON'T LOOK OVER HERE, WE HAVE SO MUCH TO HIDE!

HumberElla Wed 23-Jan-19 10:51:20

Hmmm okay. I would argue strongly that lottery funding, which is public money used to support good causes, is very squarely in the category of public interest.
If they are going to argue that revealing information might impact on or have commercial sensitivity then they are saying that the lottery funding offered to Mermaids is primarily to support them in a commercial capacity and therefore market sensitive. In other words they would be telling us that public funds are being used to support the commercial activity of Mermaids as a business, within a competitive marketplace focused on profit.
Now that doesn’t sound right to me, and I imagine it might not sound like quite the charitable ‘good cause’ many people imagined when they bought their lottery tickets.

HumberElla Wed 23-Jan-19 10:56:14

Bernard do let us know when they get back to you. I’d be interested to know how they decide to play your ball.

GrumpyGran8 Wed 23-Jan-19 11:47:12

I looked into the Health Lottery but I can't see a complete list of beneficiaries.
FlyingOink most of the grants go to local groups that have a medical/health aim - things like pensioners' walking groups, parents' clubs and so on. The decision on who gets a grant lies with one of a number of local Trusts set up by the Lottery. They also give grants to national charities that don't get money from the NHS
www.healthlottery.co.uk/blog/where-the-health-lottery-money-goes/ (Mermaids aren't listed.)

That all sounds OK, but I personally would never buy a Health Lottery ticket because they only give the absolute minimum legal amount (20%) to charitable causes, which is quite a bit less than the National Lottery allocates to good causes. So far I've not been able to find out what the other 80% of their income goes on; it's especially difficult now that they've just split the Lottery group into 12 (apparently) independent local groups.

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly Wed 23-Jan-19 11:49:42

yes, I will definitely update when I hear back. I'm a mathsy sciency sort of a person, so I suspect that I may need help to make head or tail of any funding applications etc that I do get!

Ereshkigal Wed 23-Jan-19 12:17:15

Hmmm okay. I would argue strongly that lottery funding, which is public money used to support good causes, is very squarely in the category of public interest.

This.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »