Talk

Advanced search

First hints of winter starting?

(96 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Nov-17 07:40:12

Snow warnings tonight for parts of Scotland and then through this weekend a significant cool down across the uk, perhaps possibly with some wintry showers across England next week. It’s a complex picture, that may not come off, but the most likely scenario at present does seem to be for a much colder outlook.

NewtsSuitcase Wed 22-Nov-17 07:46:22

I can be excited about this now that our fuel delivery arrived yesterday!

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Nov-17 07:53:03

Im reserving excited ness until my dd has had a university interview in a couple of weeks grin

GloriaSmud Wed 22-Nov-17 09:40:23

I'd noticed on the charts that from the weekend onwards, it was going to get colder and that there wasn't any sign of it warming up after that (although that is a long way ahead!) Could this be the start of a cold winter?

Sallycinnamum Wed 22-Nov-17 12:33:08

Yey, love these threads. The Netweather guys seem quite excited by the charts at the moment.

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 22-Nov-17 14:26:06

On monday we should get the latest three month forecast from the met office.

leesmum Thu 23-Nov-17 20:08:00

Thanks ladies, I have just seen that Manchestermay get some sleet on Saturday 🙏

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 24-Nov-17 09:03:20

I’ve just had a good peruse of the latest gfs chart. This is one model run, of one model. It goes right out to fantasy land - December 9th. It pretty much stays cold right though out. Generally rather dry.

The GFS ensemble models (spaghetti plots) agree with this scenario. They are remarkably tightly clustered. I’ve attached a photo of the Oxfordshire one to demonstrate. I generally choose Oxford as it’s sort of in the middle of England.

I’m going to see if I can find a similar thread from this time last year to see what we were saying.

magimedi Fri 24-Nov-17 09:09:14

Im reserving excited ness until my dd has had a university interview in a couple of weeks

See, Old Auntie Magi is always telling you what a pain snow is grin

Very best of luck to DD for her interview.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 24-Nov-17 09:11:38

hah! last year all the models and the met office were going for a cold December, then December started and it all went pear shaped

A sad tale of hope dashed

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 24-Nov-17 09:12:06

Thanks Magi! grin

GloriaSmud Sat 25-Nov-17 07:44:46

A chilly 0.6C here (Leicester) and we have .......snow! A very slight covering and it's still falling.

<warbles 'White Christmas' tunelessly>

Maudlinmaud Sat 25-Nov-17 08:26:56

Weather people, it's snowing here!
We are going to a local Christmas fair today so I'm loving the festive feel. ⛄

RoseDog Sat 25-Nov-17 08:33:39

Awe where are you Maud? It's freezing here in Dundee and Facebook is full of posts about all the different kids football clubs being called off as it's too frosty ☃️ no snow yet though!

notsomanky Sat 25-Nov-17 08:53:58

Dusting of snow here in Manchester! grin

RickOShay Sat 25-Nov-17 08:56:27

Lovely frost in n norfolk

PestoSwimissimos Sat 25-Nov-17 09:03:40

Cold & bright on the South Coast smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 25-Nov-17 09:38:19

Yay for those with snow smile tis the season to be snowy fa la la la laaaa la la la laaaa

magimedi Sat 25-Nov-17 09:52:58

No snow in Sussex.

Hooray!! grin

MsAwesomeDragon Sat 25-Nov-17 09:56:55

I drove to work in sleet yesterday. It was far too wet (we've had flash flooding here this week) for anything to even think of settling, but it was definitely sleet.

I'm hoping for lots of snow this year, but no more rain please.

Maudlinmaud Sat 25-Nov-17 11:12:20

@RoseDog I'm in NI. Sorry didn't keep up with thread, am at said Christmas fair. My car is pathetic in snow, was quite nervous driving earlier.

FadedRed Sat 25-Nov-17 11:26:37

Managed to miss all weather forecasts yesterday, and this thread, and was surprised to wake up to quite a covering of snow this morning.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 25-Nov-17 13:23:41

ice warnings for many in the west over night.

GloriaSmud Sat 25-Nov-17 13:34:13

Cold carrying on into next week as well!
Will need fsmile < woolly hats!

Delatron Sat 25-Nov-17 14:00:30

Jealous of those who have snow. We seem
to be in a snow 'black hole' here in Bucks, we rarely get a covering. It's been years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now