Talk

Advanced search

cherry red hair

(30 Posts)
flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 16:47:50

How hard is it to maintain bright cherry red hair? Does it fade quickly? How often do you need to dye it?

I have naturally blonde hair, very pale colouring and green eyes. would it suit me? Is it something I can get away with doing at home or is it a definite salon jobby?

flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 16:50:43

I don't know if cherry red is the right description. This colour:

EatShitDerek Thu 20-Aug-15 16:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mimigolightly Thu 20-Aug-15 16:55:08

Red hair is very hard to maintain because the red molecule that makes up the colour is much, much smaller than the molecules that make up blonde, brown & black.

It your hair is anything like mine - I've been bright copper for over 20 years - it will fade within a couple of weeks. I don't mind this too much as I like the colour it fades to. However, the cherry red may go pinkish. I have mine coloured and cut every 4 weeks at a salon which can be costly.

flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 17:21:46

Hmm. I really want something that can he done at home. Derek do you mind telling me what exactly you buy? I wouldn't mind needing to do it every couple of weeks I don't think. I just want to be able to get it to look good without having to go to a salon.

FelixFelix Thu 20-Aug-15 17:24:15

It's not that hard to maintain. I had quite bright red hair for years and just used the brightest Live XXL colour they do. Had to dye it every 4-6 weeks but eventually it didn't fade that much due to the build up. At the start it wasn't that bright but after a few months of dyeing it looked great. It didn't leave my hair in terrible condition either. I miss it but it was a right pain in the arse to get rid of so I don't dare dye it again grin

FelixFelix Thu 20-Aug-15 17:27:03

I've just looked through my FB pics and found the colour it went for you! I am naturally mid brown.

flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 17:34:26

Wow Felix that looks incredible!!! I am worried about getting rid of it if I decide I want blonde again. I was thinking of keeping the red for a very long time!!

FelixFelix Thu 20-Aug-15 17:36:31

I had it red for 3/4 years and used the Colour B4 thing from Boots to remove it. It got most of it out but left a slight reddy brown colour. I left it to grow out and now I have unintentional slight ombré hair which actually looks really good!

You should go for it smile

FelixFelix Thu 20-Aug-15 17:37:59

The colour I used was number 33 in the Live XXL dyes. That's not even the brightest one actually shock

FelixFelix Thu 20-Aug-15 17:39:56

This is what I mean with how it's grown out. Sorry just realised I've posted three times in a row.

flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 17:40:23

I wonder if it would come out much lighter because I'm blonde? What do you think?

flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 17:41:26

Felix are you spamming my thread? grin

Thank you though, that's really helpful. Is the dye permanent or semi?

ImperialBlether Thu 20-Aug-15 17:43:00

If you've got the right colouring, I think this is one of the most flattering colours and it's usually incredibly glossy, too.

flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 17:44:17

I quite fancied this one? It doesn't seem to have much of an orange tone which is what I wanted.

Pedestriana Thu 20-Aug-15 17:45:18

Felix that red is lovely!

Takver Thu 20-Aug-15 17:46:26

I was cherry red for a while - again did fade, but to a nice golden-tawny red in my case which I also liked (esp as roots less obvious).

FelixFelix Thu 20-Aug-15 17:47:06

It would probably come out the first time as bright as mine was after a few dyes because you're blonde. I agree that it always looked really glossy too. Do it!!

blueemerald Thu 20-Aug-15 17:51:15

When I had bright red hair and then coppery gold hair I used Davines Alchemic Conditioners. You select the colour you want (I used Red and Copper) and leave it in for a few minutes before rinsing. It works wonders for 'boosting' or retaining colour!

ApollO88 Thu 20-Aug-15 17:55:43

This was me last year. it faded out after a month. had to retouch every few washes after that with a semi.

ApollO88 Thu 20-Aug-15 17:57:12

i had my hairdresser friend bleach it at home. then added a red to it. dark brown to blonde in an evening didnt do my hair any favours. hence why it faded out so quick.

EatShitDerek Thu 20-Aug-15 18:02:48

flanjabelle Thu 20-Aug-15 18:03:02

Felix I get the feeling you are living vicariously through me! Thank you everyone. I am going to sleep on it and if I still really want it tomorrow I will do it!

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 20-Aug-15 18:03:06

I've had this colour and loved it, but I could not afford to keep getting it topped up every six weeks at the hairdressers. I'm also not the sort of person who can buy a colour, put it on and it looks amazing. So because of the maintenance issue I grew it out, which was a long process. I must admit when I do see it, I'm tempted to opt for it again but then I remind myself how bad it looked inbetween colours. You should give it a try though, you may hold the colour longer than I did.

EatShitDerek Thu 20-Aug-15 18:03:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now