Talk

Advanced search

If I'm wearing statement red lips

(40 Posts)
TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 17-Dec-14 21:59:04

I shouldn't wear more than eyeliner on my eyes should I?

I've got my Xmas party on Friday and I'm thinking red lipgloss will look festive and different to my day look. However, I think if I wear 'going out' eye make up (smoky eyes with grey/black eyeshadow) as well, it'll look far too much.

Am I right or overthinking it?

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 17-Dec-14 22:17:37

Bump?

ThePortlyPinUp Wed 17-Dec-14 22:20:22

I always wear red lipstick and only ever pair it with neutral taupe eyeshadow and black liquid liner. Tbf I'm just shit at anything else really.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Wed 17-Dec-14 22:23:35

Agreed - statement lips work best w low key eye make up eg Alexa Chung

Strictlyison Wed 17-Dec-14 22:24:31

I love red statement lipstick, but you are right it's a bit much with the full Smokey eye look. You could have a nice eyeliner on eyelid, not under the eye. Maybe just lighter eye shadow, with eyeliner and a little flick?

RJnomore Wed 17-Dec-14 22:26:31

If its a lipgloss you might be able to get away with more on your eyes. I have a pretty sheer red Dior gloss I wear with full smoky eyes.

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 17-Dec-14 22:29:14

I don't generally wear eyeshadow (also not great at applying make up) so only have my grey/black aka 'urban skyline' or purples aka 'purple haze'.

I just put blusher in the corner so I'll do that again.

So I'll definitely put eyeliner and a flick on the eyelid but I was going to put pencil eyeliner underneath and smudge it in. Sounds like that'll be too much too?

Thanks so much guys grin

TallulahTwinkletoes Wed 17-Dec-14 22:30:05

Ha RJ. this is rimmel from b n m bargains blush

MrsBertMacklin Wed 17-Dec-14 22:30:58

I do red with nothing but mascara and a very sheer base feels a bit French (get me!).

But I secretly wish we could still do this look without being mocked for being 80s.

FrancesHB Wed 17-Dec-14 22:33:33

I wear pillar box red lips with immaculate base, small amount of blusher, and v low key eyes. Nude/stone/taupe from bobbi brown nudes compact, but I do tight line my eyes with a dark brown liner, black mascara.

FrancesHB Wed 17-Dec-14 22:34:35

If going out I do admittedly add a nude/brown glitter along the lash line (les fetes from chantecaille)

RJnomore Wed 17-Dec-14 23:15:05

Tallulah, I've worn lots of Rimmel over the years!

boogiewoogie Wed 17-Dec-14 23:15:13

Unless your intention is to look like a Robert Palmer girl, then I would recommend keeping the eyes quite clean looking.

TallulahTwinkletoes Thu 18-Dec-14 05:24:00

Definitely wanting to avoid that look!

I've got a bronzer I'm going to try out today (as I've only just bought a brush blush) and see if that'll be better than blusher but it's a strange bronzer so I doubt it.

Much more confident after talking to you guys smile

RojaGato Thu 18-Dec-14 05:26:30

I think you'd get away with a little bit of highlighter or sparkle on the browbone at Xmas, but only in pretty pale/neutral/skin coloured shade

HelloitsmeFell Thu 18-Dec-14 05:36:45

I think you can wear more than just eyeliner, but keep it understated, smokey, and most importantly neutral. No sparkle, no obvious colour.

And I love red lipstick but IMHO it should always be matte, or cream. I think red gloss can look really trashy, sorry. confused All gloss tends to move/bleed after a while, which is not a disaster if it's soft and peachy or pale, but on a strong/dark colour looks bloody awful.

If you are determined to go with the gloss then I would say keep the rest of your face very nude but make sure you have great foundation, great mascara and good shading/contouring.

HelloitsmeFell Thu 18-Dec-14 05:38:39

Sorry, just to clarify, I we talking about a sheer gloss with a red tint, or are we talking full red lips with a gloss finish on top?

TallulahTwinkletoes Thu 18-Dec-14 05:51:30

It's just a red gloss. That's how I'd describe it. When I put it on, it did appear to move.

Should I go to Tesco and buy a lip stick instead? I have to buy new mascara anyway.

I bought two glosses. One cheap one and one rimmel one. I'll try both. They didn't have lipstick.

What does one use for contouring? I see all the pics but it doesn't make any sense to me blush

NoelleHawthorne Thu 18-Dec-14 06:42:05

I am recent fake eyelashes convert. Do just those string brows. Red lips

NoelleHawthorne Thu 18-Dec-14 06:42:17

Strong.

TallulahTwinkletoes Thu 18-Dec-14 19:39:56

This has been such a difficult day for me. I asked approx six people which they preferred and they all said the opposite to the one I was certain about this morning. Apparently it's the wrong shade for me.

The eyes will be just eyeliner but my closest friend at work said she loves me with heavy eyeshadow and I should do that definitely and if I want red lips I should do that too. She's extremely stylish. I'm confused.

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Thu 18-Dec-14 19:51:45

I love the Robert Palmer girl look. Embrace the slap, I say. I would go matte lips if I was going for the full 80's sex pot though.

WerewolfBarMitzvah Thu 18-Dec-14 19:52:42

How about posting photos of each look and we'll vote?

TallulahTwinkletoes Thu 18-Dec-14 19:52:48

See this lipgloss is sparkly as fuck... It's called vinyl something or other blush

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Thu 18-Dec-14 19:53:17

It's just a big, fat yes from me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now