Talk

Advanced search

Share your favourite Christmas family moments and traditions with Lidl: chance to win £100 NOW CLOSED

(395 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 30-Oct-17 09:54:55

Christmas is coming (FAST!) - and the team at Lidl would love to hear all about your family Christmas moments - perhaps from your own childhood or memories you are creating with and for your own children?

Are you a super-organised shopper, a festive fashionista in your Christmas jumper, or more of a last-minute panicker? Do you do ‘stir-up Sunday’ to create your perfect Christmas pudding or cake? Is there a tradition of choosing your tree that the whole family look forward to? What about when you were a child - are there older family traditions you recreate or look back on fondly which help get you in the community spirit?

Whatever your Christmas traditions are, Lidl would love to hear them!

Please post them on this thread and you will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get £100 worth of Lidl vouchers (note the winner will be sent 4 x £25 vouchers, one voucher can be redeemed per transaction).

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Standard Insight Terms and Conditions apply

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-Nov-17 12:50:47

Thanks for all the comments: winner of the Lidl vouchers is misskatamari

hermitcrab Thu 16-Nov-17 18:58:29

New pajamas on Christmas Eve, preferably tartan and brushed cotton.

colleenw Wed 15-Nov-17 09:44:38

Always go for a dog walk on Christmas eve, followed by warm ham and chips tea, bath and christmas eve boxes.....ready to read the books and watch the dvd left in them smile Then it's bed for the kids, asti for mum and the santa treats for dad - and an early night ready for the christmas day fun!

carolineandbaby Wed 15-Nov-17 07:24:10

Every year we go to a local shop called China blue and paint an xmas plate and my dsd paints an xmas gift for her nanny. It is such a lovely vibe to sit amongst all their gorgeous xmas decorations and traditional xmas music. When we are all done we get some luxury hot chocolates and a slice of cake. I cherish this family time away from tvs games consoles and mobile phones. It’s just us and our creativity.

Azra12 Wed 15-Nov-17 04:32:43

Christmas day
Every year we have loads of crackers which my kids love and tuck into nibbles whilst watching Christmas films on TV

GetKnitted Tue 14-Nov-17 22:11:13

Inviting round all the neighbours!

Tonkatol Tue 14-Nov-17 21:46:59

Children always hang up their stockings on Christmas Eve but Santa always brings the presents in a new stocking and hides the stocking somewhere. When the children get up on Christmas morning, they all bring their stockings into our room and sit on our bed to open them. These are usually the only presents opened before breakfast and church. With four children, our bed is getting rather cramped on Christmas morning, especially as the eldest two are now in their 20s!

ipanda Tue 14-Nov-17 21:04:29

Our tradition is to have plenty of leftovers from our Christmas dinner. Everyone has something to take home.

EnglishGirlApproximately Tue 14-Nov-17 20:51:09

Dp only has one day off on Christmas Day so me and Ds have got into a lovely routine that we’ve really started to enjoy. On Christmas Eve we go to a local country park for a walk and a hot chocolate with marshmallows before going home and making whatever desert we’re having on Christmas Day. On Boxing Day we get up around 7 and the three of us go for a walk around the lake near our house to blow the cobwebs away before dp heads off to work, there’s only ever us and the odd dog walker and then a group of horse riders and everyone stops to chat.
Quite boring compared to many of these but we love wrapping up in our hats and gloves and having some quiet time after the busy lead up, we’ve even been known to eat ice cream on a bench in the snow!

Flickabella36 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:50:50

Our Christmas Eve tradition is to watch the Grinch on Christmas Eve- I love Christmas films! We then do the usual treats for Santa and Rudolph placed by the fire!

kerryanna Tue 14-Nov-17 17:21:46

Mums Christmas Morning Rule!

No one goes downstairs until Mariah Careys version of All I want for Christmas is blasted out and EVERYONE sings and dances their hearts out it certainly wakes everybody up!

SistersOfPercy Tue 14-Nov-17 17:04:21

A christmas memory (and I've told it on here before)

My Mum was the organised sort and so not long after 1st december a giant (1980's sized) box of quality street would appear under the tree.

One year I just fancied one when I got home from school to an empty house, so I carefully peeled the label, stole a sweet and put the label back. And the next day, and the day after....

By Christmas morning the tin was very light indeed. Mother was furious....with Rowntree blush
She penned a letter and got a voucher and an apology and I was about 30 before I admitted it was me.

My lovely Mum passed away very suddenly this year. I shall look at the Christmas Quality Street as always and think of her.

chrissie4 Tue 14-Nov-17 16:06:55

Every year we have a Christmas Challenge last year we had a Christmas Bake off and made Christmas Cup Cakes this year its make a Christmas tree decoration. It makes Boxing day a lot of fun when we do the unveiling. We have lots of traditions that we keep to every year but this is my favourite

jollyjester Tue 14-Nov-17 16:01:11

Totally outing myself but every year my siblings and I line up with our Christmas stockings in front of the tree and get our picture taking.

We all still live close enough to be able to do this. I'm 32 and don't see it ending any time soon.

maria08k Tue 14-Nov-17 12:27:37

Ok so our family tradition is playing the most crazy games after Christmas dinner....a couple that spring to mind ( that our family have been playing for generations ) is to tightly pack a bowl with flour and turn it upside down and remove the bowl ( leaving a mound of flour shaped like a christmas pudding ) On top of the mount a penny or ring is placed, bit by bit you take it in turns to cut away some of the flour ( little or large, your choice ) trying not to make the coin or ring fall.....who ever it collapses on has to retrieve the coin or ring with their mouth and of course you head gets pushed into the flour!! Another one we play is to trying to cut at a bar of very cold, hard chocolate with a knife and fork....sounds easy right....not when you are wearing oven gloves over your hands before you pick up the knife and fork.

ikkle87 Tue 14-Nov-17 12:21:17

We are quite new to christmas as a family out traditions are to make a new christmas decoration together and we also get new pj's on christmas eve and watch a festive film before bed x

manfalou Tue 14-Nov-17 12:13:47

We love making christmas cookies on christmas eve listening to christmas songs!

LuckyHansu Tue 14-Nov-17 10:53:44

Decorating the Christmas tree and house as a family whilst listening to Christmas carols

Dessallara Tue 14-Nov-17 10:35:04

Putting Christmas tree up on 1 st December with my girls while having hot chocolate and Christmas songs on smile

noynoyavery Tue 14-Nov-17 10:06:38

We wander around the village and sing carols, local pub for one drink..kiddies allowed on that day only. Walk after lunch to the local woods.

mumpetuk1 Tue 14-Nov-17 09:23:07

Every year we always wear silly hats and jumpers

Pimmpom Tue 14-Nov-17 09:07:25

I am a last minute shopper so it always a bit hectic. Every year I tell myself I am going to be more organised but it never seems to happen. OH is in charge of decorating the tree and the children have always helped.

Leanfun Tue 14-Nov-17 09:05:00

Family all help put the tree and other decorations up. Everyone who can comes for Christmas lunch

greensmith68 Tue 14-Nov-17 08:58:37

our favourite part is going to choose our christmas tree's we go to the farm we get up early wrap up warm and don our wellies we then set off we sing along to christmas music wander though the christmas display have hot chocolate and mince pies and choose our tree's its a real fun day

vicks276 Tue 14-Nov-17 08:45:53

We love our Christmas morning tradition - fresh percolator coffee with cream and brown sugar, with warm croissants and pain au chocolate from the local bakery for breakfast while we open out presents. Heaven!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »