Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I ask my new bff if she's flirting with me?

(91 Posts)
SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:11:01

I don't know if this is a situation which calls for blunt honesty, or for letting sleeping dogs lie.

I got chatting to this woman through a mutual acquaintance a few months ago, and we ended up arranging to take the kids out together. We get on very well, as do the kids, so we've met up again. And again. And again.

It's a nice thing - but I've become a bit concious of how intense the friendship has got - both in the frequency/length of interactions and the range/depth of conversation. If she was a man - I would have backed off a long way back out of respect for DH.

I have a sense that she's maybe in a more fragile place than me - so I want to make sure I don't end up somehow hurting her.

Should I
a) consciously cool the friendship for no outward reason
b) have a hideously embarrassing conversation
c) keep on with the new-best-mates schtick and hope it'll settle into a great long term friendship with a lovely person

EarthboundMisfit Sat 16-Jul-16 21:15:14

What exactly is it that makes you think she's flirting?

SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:26:23

I dunno - she just seems very comfortable around me and my kids. One of my DC has SEN, and she doesn't bat an eyelid about it - is very patient with mucking in. Normally with a friend I'd meet up once a month at most, and two hours at a time at most, with everyone on best behaviour. With this woman a couple of times it's got to second bottle of wine, 10pm, sharing life stories, kids tucked upstairs together with a DVD . If it was a man after a couple of months of acquaintance, I would view that as being over-familiar and flirty.

Arfarfanarf Sat 16-Jul-16 21:27:40

Nothing youve described sounds like flirting to me.

mzS1990 Sat 16-Jul-16 21:27:58

Yeah she fancies you ....hmm

You are kidding right?

AnyFucker Sat 16-Jul-16 21:30:15

That doesn't sound very flirty to me

Have you ever had a good female friend before ?

JCo24 Sat 16-Jul-16 21:31:23

Do you or have you ever had romantic/ and or sexual feelings for a woman? And do you know whether she has. Because if you both class yourself as bisexual or anything else, that's when you need to worry about it.

LetMeJustStepOnMySoapbox Sat 16-Jul-16 21:32:41

Um, that isn't flirting. That's a friend.

SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:35:33

I have - but they've tended to develop a bit more slowly.

I'm being a bit more careful feel there's a power dis-balance since I'm older and married. She is single and I get the gist that her last relationship drove a coach and horses through her self-esteem and wellbeing. My closest friends have always been my direct peers (eg uni friends, school friends).

Sirona Sat 16-Jul-16 21:36:25

I'm useless at flirting but even I could do better than that. What you've described is friendship not flirting.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 16-Jul-16 21:40:11

So you consider yourself better than her? shock

SonicSpotlight Sat 16-Jul-16 21:40:35

'Normally with a friend I'd meet up once a month at most, and two hours at a time at most'

Really?

SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:40:41

I did ask DH if he minded this person spending so much time with us - and he did say that it was as likely to be me projecting feelings onto her rather than vice versa grin . Which is probably fair. But not especially a problem I don't think, unless the feelings are reciprocated and I'm somehow playing mind games.

SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:43:35

Whoah - LEM - where did I say better? I meant that - if there is an undeclared romantic aspect to this new friendship - then for me it'd much easier to shrug if off as a bit of fun, since I am more settled and emotionally in a more secure place.

Littletabbyocelot Sat 16-Jul-16 21:44:55

I had rubbish friends until my thirties & now I have friends who enjoy spending time with me just doing nothing, who are solidly there for me in a crisis, who act like I'm really important to them and... I really struggle with it. I find myself wondering why. I had to give myself a talking to. She sounds just like a really good friend.

SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:47:28

Sonic - how often to you meet up with your friends? Once you've done work, homework, dinner, bath, bed, cleaning - there's really not much more time! Excluding incidental meetings (eg school run) - even people I've been close to, it's a struggle to carve out an evening drink.

EarthboundMisfit Sat 16-Jul-16 21:50:11

I spend loads of time with one of my friends. We are very comfortable with each other and all our DC, which is unusual for me, but there isn't a sexual aspect. Either something iis missing from your posts, or I just don't see why you've jumped to that.

SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:55:48

If the gender was male - would you not step back and ask why someone was suddenly so motivated to wipe down your kitchen table while you're upstairs sorting laundry, do puzzles with your DC, hang out into the night chatting?

It's a really lovely new friendship - I like her and she likes me - but I would have cut a man off in principle under the same circs.

SolderSity Sat 16-Jul-16 21:56:51

I'm happy to be told I'm overthinking it!

I'd go for easy and cheerful option C!

LetMeJustStepOnMySoapbox Sat 16-Jul-16 21:57:37

Wow, you sound quite arrogant.

How do you know she isn't saying to her friends that you are lovely but you have a husband and children, one with SN, you're busy with the children and family stuff and don't get out much and so her friendship with you has moved quite quickly as you are not fettered by the same restrictions as her. And as lovely as you are, she hopes that you're not seeing this friendship as more than it is and hoping for a bit of 'excitement'.

When you're young and single, older, married women with children are often something to be pitied, rather than an aspiration and you feel they've sold out and lost their identify and their friendships and spend their lives doing homework, cooking dinner, bedtime routine, cleaning... which, by your own admission, does describe you.

Or rather, you probably both get something from this friendship.

She might well benefit from the lack of crazy nights out and, what feels like, a true friendship developing.

You are benefiting from someone who is free to develop a friendship free from childcare and partner responsibilities.

Not everyone who is friendly to you is going to fancy you.

user1468602338 Sat 16-Jul-16 21:58:23

That's just a friendship.
I have 2 really close friends and we hang out as much as possible.
I think she is just being a friend

Mikkalina Sat 16-Jul-16 21:58:39

But you don't have to see her that often. Say, you are going out somewhere and cannot do it today.

LetMeJustStepOnMySoapbox Sat 16-Jul-16 21:59:12

I wouldn't assume a man fancied me either.

Fatrascals Sat 16-Jul-16 22:00:12

I have to concur that all you have described is a totally normal female friendship for me.

The strange thing that stands out is when you describe your "normal" female friendships as "everyone being on best behaviour" What the heck is THAT all about? 🤔😮😄

MsStricty Sat 16-Jul-16 22:00:29

I wonder if you're projecting, OP - and actually you are not aware of your feelings for her because they are a threat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now