Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

what over the counter indigestion/heartburn remedies are safe in pg?

(21 Posts)
snowangels1 Wed 08-Dec-10 15:53:14

Not including gavsicon!

Long story but I've just been told off very rudely by GP receptionist and informed I'm unable to speak to my GP today now as I was engaged once when she tried to call me earlier. Fair enough in a way, but I was only engaged as I finally after 3 days of waiting had a call from my mw to rearrange an appointment which was cancelled due to snow. Not that GP receptionist cared.

ANyway, I was going to speak to GP about prescription for indegiestion/reflux/heartburn/gas. Gaviscon does nothing and have tried all the non medical remedies. Now I can't get the prescription today and am in a state of tears at the upset of going through another day without medication and really dehydrated at 3 days of not being able to drink enough as even water sets it off. sob.

So am sending DH out to sainsburys pharmacy - any clue on what he can get that's suitable in pg that's in liquid or chewable form? (can't swallow pills) Please....

BlueChampagne Wed 08-Dec-10 16:56:22

Poor you - suggest he collars the pharmacist and asks their advice.

beautyguru Wed 08-Dec-10 16:58:43

Have you tried peppermint tea? Its a strange taste that does take a bit of getting used to but I found it helped settle my tummy. Far more than gaviscon which makes me wretch!! Poor you bour receptionist..ours are like dragons too, must be part of job description wink
Or I also took fruit flavoured rennies which are chewable...they werent brilliant but were better than nothing {smile}
Hope you feel better soon.

reikizen Wed 08-Dec-10 17:03:32

all of them, but it sounds like the over the counter ones won't work for you. Don't ask a pharmacist as they will say nothing is safe in pregnancy! (because there have been no trials, not because it isn't actually safe!) Acupuncture worked well for me with dd2. Make sure when you do speak to GP that you sort out a repeat prescription so it doesn't happen again.

snowangels1 Wed 08-Dec-10 17:03:52

Thanks. beauty have tried peppermint tea (and peppermint oil, and milk, and eating little and often, and sitting upright, and not drinking with meals, and everything else non medical I've stumbled upon).

DH is out now. Wonder what he'll come home with hmm

beautyguru Wed 08-Dec-10 22:59:19

Oh poor you, it really is awful feeling so horrible sad. Such a shame you cant take tablets cos my stomach ulcer tablets (prescription ones called Omaprazole) are safe during pregnancy and really do help settle my stomach/heartburn/indigestion...I take them occasionally now even though my ulcer has gone cos they are the one thing I know will help me feel better. Really hope hubby comes home with something that works for you smile...and that receptionist is nicer when you speak to her next hmm!

emmylou157 Wed 08-Dec-10 23:34:51

The only thing that worked for me was dual action gaviscon its expensive compared to the others but I got it on prescription in the end. The others just didn't touch it. I had a bottle in my handbag and one by the bed so always near to a bottle and it helped loads.

nicm Thu 09-Dec-10 00:11:31

frutin tablets from the health shop. they're the only things that work for me, take 2 and then drink plenty of water. it's awful, and the pharmacist wouldn't give me anything other than gaviscon or renee without checking with gp first!

good luck!

WalkTheDog Thu 09-Dec-10 09:25:55

midwife can write you a prescription for gaviscon - well ours can

snowangels1 Thu 09-Dec-10 09:30:46

Have got gaviscon on prescription already walkthedog and it doesn't work for me!

Can report that DH came home with gaviscon advance and rennies. Tried the advance last night and (fingers crossed) it seemed to help, so hoping that will get me through till next week when I can speak to GP re: presciption.

thefurryone Thu 09-Dec-10 10:10:29

In my yoga class we do exercises that involve stretching your arms back to open up your chest which the teacher says help heartburn, she also says to try to not put your head down. Not sure how much it helps if you're suffering a lot as I'm only getting it intermitently, but possibly worth a try.

Hope you find something that works for you soon.

suiledonne Thu 09-Dec-10 10:14:40

Much sympathy. I suffered terribly with it in both pregnancies.

Gaviscon Advance definitely better than regular.

Fennel tea is very soothing. Midwife advised me against peppermint tea but can't remember the reason.

rocketleaf Thu 09-Dec-10 10:22:13

My acupuncturist advise against peppermint tea too. Its something to do with it being cooling, it makes your stomach work harder to digest your food, ie producing more acid. It might be pure woo, but it sort of makes sense to me. Strangely enough , I used to drink loads of it before getting pregnant and haven't been able to contemplate it since.

Hope you can get a prescription soon snowangels.

Bobby99 Thu 09-Dec-10 10:30:25

Horrid isn't it. Try a glass of milk, a nice cheap low-tech treatment!

marriednotmulled Thu 09-Dec-10 10:46:57

Bobby, I had a milk craving so was drinking 6+ pints per day but still couldn't kill the heartburn with it!

Big (96) boxes of Rennies were my best friends.

Good luck snowangels, I remember the pain vividly.

thefurryone Thu 09-Dec-10 10:50:06

I drink gallons of peppermint tea, haven't been getting bad heartburn but now I'm slightly concerned that there may be another reason!

Bobby99 Thu 09-Dec-10 21:20:45

Oh, milk worked for me as a short term fix.

AbyCat Fri 10-Dec-10 15:24:40

I heard that eating bananas were also a good way to reduce heartburn (I know that banana milkshake works for me!).

Zantac is OK to take in moderation though isn't it? I usually find that works better than Gaviscon.

FindingAManger Fri 10-Dec-10 15:39:37

poor you - hope you find something that works asap. I've had it quite bad this time but Gaviscon works thankfully.

Have you tried drinking cammomile tea?

me23 Fri 10-Dec-10 16:53:59

zantac is fine, get gp to prescribe it for you or omeprazole works well.

me23 Fri 10-Dec-10 16:55:54

sorry just read you can't swallow pills! There the only thing that works for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: