Talk

Advanced search

Westminstenders: A vote too far?

(1000 Posts)
RedToothBrush Mon 10-Dec-18 09:16:13

The ECJ have ruled that the UK can unilaterally revoke A50.

There maybe lots of other news today, but that's the big one.

May has her big vote tomorrow. Or does she.

Will she survive until the end of the week?

lonelyplanetmum Wed 12-Dec-18 07:38:35

Chief whip stayed over? Or went back at 6 ish?

TokyoSushi Wed 12-Dec-18 07:42:52

Ooh we're on! How inconvenient it's the work Christmas dinner! Argh!

RedToothBrush Wed 12-Dec-18 07:49:09

I bet it was an all nighter.

The chair of the Conservatives was seen leaving at 11pm.

I think there were cameras out all night under the circumstances.

Peregrina Wed 12-Dec-18 07:51:52

BBC Breaking News says that she will face a Leadership challenge.

I find it difficult to know what I feel. She has handled it badly so has brought so many of the problems on herself, but at the same time, it would have taken an extremely skilled negotiator to have tried to balance the competing, and impossible to reconcile aims, and she's not that. I have no time at all for her potential rivals. Her potential challengers have been like the Leavers on these threads - crowing about winning, but not being able to say exactly what they would do.
It will be interesting to see if Johnson ducks out of the challenge this time - if so, his leadership ambitions will be well and truly over.

In normal times a PM could stagger on with a minority government, but these times are not normal, even without our self-inflicted damage to the country.

Loletta Wed 12-Dec-18 07:52:53

So RTB what are the odds of TM being ousted?
(Thankful for all your insight thanks)

derxa Wed 12-Dec-18 07:53:49

But yes I do believe May is determined to get us out of the EU as that's her duty. She is telling the truth on this. She looks like she has done everything to save her own neck, but I believe she honestly thinks it's the only way to guarantee we get Brexit without a crash out no deal.
Yes. What a lot of gutless wonders those Tory MPs are.

Plonkysaurus Wed 12-Dec-18 07:57:47

God I'd love her to revoke this morning, and just walk away from the whole thing, whistling a merry tune.

(I'm off to the airport, so I'll let you know if I see any pigs on the runway)

OnTheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Wed 12-Dec-18 07:58:38

grin

Emma Hardy MP
@EmmaHardyMP
Breaking news. Conservatives can count to 48.

OnTheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Wed 12-Dec-18 07:59:30

Beth Rigby
@BethRigby
BREAK: PM is to address the 1922 committee tonight ahead of the vote on whether she should stay on. That will be the speech of her career won’t it?

RedToothBrush Wed 12-Dec-18 08:01:10

Lolletta, tweet on new thread sourced from a senior tory thinks she's survive with 115 votes against her. 110 - 120 votes is around the area that is being suggested it would be untenable for her to stay anyway. But this is the zombie pm and she's previously said she'd stay even if she won by 1 vote... So...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/3449020-Westminstenders-Dear-Santa-for-Christmas-Id-like

New thread.

Peregrina Wed 12-Dec-18 08:03:15

But yes I do believe May is determined to get us out of the EU as that's her duty. She is telling the truth on this.

I agree with this, but like Cameron's arbitrary immigration targets which she was determined (and failed) to meet, she appears to treat it like a difficult homework task which she has to complete. She had at least negotiated something, which we haven't seen any of the other Leavers be able to do.

Where are our Leaver friends now who when asked what their solutions were told us that they trusted the PM to get on with it? A little quiet - hardly seen a whisker of them on this thread.

Minimammoth Wed 12-Dec-18 08:11:13

I’m lighting a candle for peace goodwill and common sense.

HesterThrale Wed 12-Dec-18 08:42:20

Good idea *@minimammoth*.
I’ll light one too. We should all light a candle and hope.

(And at this point, I think the only common sense way is revoking.)

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 12-Dec-18 08:49:33

well, shes not voluntarily stepping down.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 12-Dec-18 09:09:03

I’m not sure she understands the concept of stepping down.

Never really sure why she doesn’t just call them out on the argument that the negotiations being bad because she’s a remainer. Maybe she assumes it’s such obvious spin everyone can see it for what it is.

lonelyplanetmum Wed 12-Dec-18 09:18:41

I have a strong instinct she'll survive the vote and stay on. She does have grit and tenacity if nothing else. She is known as a bloody difficult woman after all.

Once she survives that -hopefully JRM would step down? Except he's quite zombie like too.

Is there any chance a failed leadership challenge would further marginalise the ERG and increase confidence towards a Norway ++ alternative. (Not exactly Norway obvs as they don't want us, the selfish superior hubristic narcissist that we are. )

DGRossetti Wed 12-Dec-18 09:48:13

If she does survive, will the narrative be that by challenging - and failing - we can ignore the ERG and headbanger Brexiteers from now on ?

Motheroffourdragons Wed 12-Dec-18 09:50:37

If she does win then Corbyn has to go for no confidence motion and force the gen election to be honest.
We clearly need a new government - May can’t have any credibility left in the outside real world

SingingBabooshkaBadly Wed 12-Dec-18 09:51:54

I thought it interesting that she said a new leader’s only options would be to extend or rescind A50. No mention of No Deal. Is it because she knows many listening see No Deal as a no problem?

lonelyplanetmum Wed 12-Dec-18 09:52:26

Yes I think so. Like UKIP the ERG have caused such panic, and a schism. But it's the fear of them rather than the reality, they've a demonstrable inability to come up with any plans. Getting to 48 was a struggle and needed support of maverick non ERG MPs .They are now seen to be one trick ponies.

1tisILeClerc Wed 12-Dec-18 10:20:51

(They are now seen to be one trick ponies.}
Is that the rhyming slang version, pony and c--p (rhymes with trap).

nomorearsingmermaids Wed 12-Dec-18 16:45:08

Wtf would be the point of a new leader anyway? May (broadly speaking anyway) isn't the problem. Brexit is the problem.

1tisILeClerc Wed 12-Dec-18 16:49:51

{Brexit is the problem.}
Not even that really. Brexit COULD have been a smooth transition if handled properly.
It is however difficult to see how the UK will actually be better off than it was and NO politicians, or anyone else has managed to say how this can be done at even a simple outline that does not involve fanciful ideas.

GirlsBlouse17 Wed 12-Dec-18 18:37:24

Well done Redtoothbrush on your accurate inside info yesterday.

I know it's not really a thought for right now but I think there needs to be a breakaway party from the Tory party like there was with the SDP and Labour in 1981. The divisions are just too big to keep it together.

Right now though part of me is hoping for a vote of no confidence in TM or the Government as a whole bevause TM is so set on going ahead with Brexit no matter what it seems. I want a door to open to give us the chance to have a second referendum but I just don't see how that is going to happen.

nomorearsingmermaids Wed 12-Dec-18 18:45:46

I don't think she'll be ousted, and all this will just end up being a colossal waste of time.

This thread is not accepting new messages.