Talk

Advanced search

what age for jacqueline wilson books?

(15 Posts)
morethanyoubargainfor Sun 28-Nov-10 16:32:35

As have just bought one for a friend of ds who will be 8, she loves reading and from what i gather is very good at it.

I have got the the longest whale song, but now i have read the blurb i am not so sure it is suitable reading fro a 8yo girl.

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 18:50:39

I hate Jacqueline Wilson books angry

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 28-Nov-10 18:52:28

fair enough, but i didn't ask who liked them! I asked are they suitable reading for an 8 yo?

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 18:53:34

No, they're not suitable.

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 28-Nov-10 18:54:10

who are they suitable for then?

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 18:56:04

Nobody. They're lousy. I'm just prejudiced that's all.

mollycuddles Sun 28-Nov-10 18:56:52

some are actually eg cliff hanger, double act - just about kids and friends

some aren't and the new one has fairly mature themes

depends on the book, the child and the parents. My dd1 is 9.7 and is ok with most of them but we talk about the issues in the books and I read them before her.

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 18:59:25

Depressing rubbish imo. My friend lent me one for my ds to read and it was just rubbish.

sharbie Sun 28-Nov-10 19:02:02

ah so you are basing your opinion on one ilove smile - my dd loves them i wd say 9 or 10 about right.

hockeypuck Sun 28-Nov-10 19:03:03

This is my pet peeve at the moment. My DD aged 8 has been reading Jacqueline Wilson for a couple of years now and loves them BUT Why oh Why oh Why can she not just once write something that is about a family that is not divorced, remarried, orphaned, dumped in a bin, etc etc. If DD only read JW then she'd have a completely skewed idea about family life. Also, there is always at least one really bitchy female character. What happened to NICE books!!

Having said that I have bought DD the Whale Song book for christmas because I think although the theme is grown up, DD will understand the mother-daughter bond thing and find it interesting. We do have some good conversations about some of the issues covered in the books, but PLEASE just ONCE JW write something NICE!

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 19:06:03

I've only read one, but I know about the others, and I had enough of that damn Tracy Beaker when it was on. I think it still is, but it used to drive ds1 crazy and I had to ban it from the house.

Children don't need to be exposed to depressing car crash reads about dysfunctional reconstituted families.

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 19:07:34

I grew up in care and it was depressing enough, but at least I had some decent stories to read that helped me escape from the terrible reality.

Reading Jacqueline Wilson is no better than watching Jeremy Kyle imo.

catinthehat2 Sun 28-Nov-10 19:09:32

we get to read 2000 novels in a lifetime.

why does Jaqueline flippin Wilson have to feature in that minuscule number

there's so much better stuff out there.

ilovehens Sun 28-Nov-10 19:13:17

I agree catinthehat smile

pointydog Sun 28-Nov-10 19:18:38

JW has written for diffrent age groups. She has written some that are good for 8 yr olds. Buried Alive is one I can remember.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: