Talk

Advanced search

to think im should be able to do DIY at 8pm without neighbours knocking after 10 mins

(95 Posts)
lisad123 Sat 27-Dec-08 20:11:21

DH is cureectly remvong some bricks from fireplace, so involves a little bit of knocking. Their childrenare older, so not in bed. Its impossible to do this when our girls are awake.
Well 10 mintues in, she knocks and tells me i have made her mothers pic fall off the wall onto her dds head
I asked if pic was broken and if dd was ok, she said she didnt know as she had come straight to see me.
Will be finihsed in about 20mins, aibu to reply "it wont be much longer, let me know if dd is ok".

Lauriefairyonthetreeeatscake Sat 27-Dec-08 20:14:12

it's just so unlikely, who is sitting under a picture at that exact second hmm and then comes directly round to have a go without checking she is ok hmm

Much more likely she is annoyed that you are doing this and has come round to guilt trip you.

imo after nine is too late until then fine.

TheInvisibleManDidItWithSanta Sat 27-Dec-08 20:14:34

She came to moan before checking her daughter was ok? hmm

Just tell her you'll be done soon. It's either now or at 8am when they're trying to have a lay in wink

AnitaBlake Sat 27-Dec-08 20:14:35

I don't think YABU honey, from a legal veiwpoint a one-off would be considered exactly that.

TheCrackFox Sat 27-Dec-08 20:15:22

YABU, it is very anti-social to start DIY at 8pm (unless you are lucky enough to live in a detached house). Why don't you take your DCs out tomorrow whilst your DH does they DIY?

compo Sat 27-Dec-08 20:16:12

but couldn't you take the dds out in the day so dh could do it at a more sociable hour?

lisad123 Sat 27-Dec-08 20:16:40

Yeah I thought a bit odd, she came to tell me before checking on dd She also mad ea big deal that it was her mums picture (she died last year) and that it freaked her out. Im not sure why as she knows why it fell hmm

lizziebeth Sat 27-Dec-08 20:17:19

I also think 8pm is a bit late and anti-social to be doing diy.

goldFAQinsenceandmyrrh Sat 27-Dec-08 20:17:58

I don't think YABU at all. 8pm is hardly late to be doing a tiny bit of DIY that's only going to take 1/2hr IMO.

ScaredOfEverything Sat 27-Dec-08 20:18:11

My neighbour is currently playing the trumpet badly. I personally think making noise that disturbs your neighbours at this time of the evening is unreasonable. Unfortunately though, it is not illegal!

lisad123 Sat 27-Dec-08 20:19:32

why should my dh waste the little time he has with our girls to do DIY?? He barely see's them as he works all week so we treasure our weekends together.
Its not everyday, very rarely do we bang around.

IlanaK Sat 27-Dec-08 20:19:34

In our block of flats, you are not allowed to have building going on after 6 pm. I would be annoyed if a neighbour was doing building stuff after then, let alone at 8. If they were just putting up a picture, then ok. But anything that goes on longer than a couple of taps of a hammer is not ok in my opinion.

Mimia Sat 27-Dec-08 20:19:44

YABU, I'd be pissed off at you knocked bricks out of a fireplace at 8pm. Why is it impossible to do it when your DC's are awake, just take them out FGS.

Colbeck Sat 27-Dec-08 20:20:07

I'd be pissed off if neighbours started DIY which we could hear at 8pm in the evening. That is relaxing time and pretty inconsiderate imo.

So, YABU.

Hassled Sat 27-Dec-08 20:20:55

Sorry, I do think 8pm is too late to be DIYing - especially if it's to an adjoining wall with a neighbour. Said neighbour souns like a nutter, though.

lisad123 Sat 27-Dec-08 20:21:25

Cant do it during the day, we have 2 young children and until they are going to play in the kitchin all day, its not safe iyswim

lisad123 Sat 27-Dec-08 20:23:04

plus dust and dd2s breathing does not mix at all

llareggub Sat 27-Dec-08 20:23:16

You are most definitely being unreasonable. 8pm is a time for relaxing, even if you don't agree. Your neighbour is irritated by your DIY, so you should definitely stop. Personally I think you should pop round tomorrow with an apology and a bunch of flowers.

nickytinseltimes Sat 27-Dec-08 20:24:27

I think it's a bit off to start DIYing at 8pm too. However, your neighbour could have been a little less reactive.

Thunderduck Sat 27-Dec-08 20:25:43

I don't see the problem with half an hour of diy at 8pm.

Flowers are excessive.I very much doubt that the picture did fall on her dd's head, and if it did, my first thought would be to attend to my injured child, not to scold the neighbour.

compo Sat 27-Dec-08 20:26:07

but you yourself said it is only half an hour, surely your dh can miss being with them for half an hour while you takew them to the park so he can diy?!

Ronaldinhio Sat 27-Dec-08 20:26:07

yabvu

it really is too late to start diy at this time

Hassled Sat 27-Dec-08 20:26:15

If everyone took your view - the "why should DG give up his free daytimes?" view - we'd all be banging/drilling in the evenings. Not all DIY jobs take half an hour - you just have to find the time in the day. Take the DCs out somewhere.

ShyBaby Sat 27-Dec-08 20:26:42

I'd be annoyed if my neighbours were DIYing at 8pm (they do all day every Sunday) but I do understand where you're coming from, im at work in the day and couldn't really get anything done until dd goes to bed. (Which is one of the reasons my house is unfinished!).

llareggub Sat 27-Dec-08 20:27:14

Excessive maybe, but good relations with the neighbours are priceless, in my very humble opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now