Talk

Advanced search

why take the piss out of names 'karen' and 'carol' is the new fad on mn ?

(88 Posts)
recycledteenager24 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:06:02

title says it all really, don't care if i am bu it's so disrespectful to people with these names. mn goes through this fads and a lot of sheep follow it's so stupid, i've just read another thread which reads 'don't go there carol' wtaf ?

OP’s posts: |
TheLightSideOfTheMoon Thu 18-Jun-20 11:06:48

It's an internet thing.

Not a mumsnet thing.

TheFlis12345 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:06:56

It’s not a mn thing, it’s across all social media.

TinyPigeon Thu 18-Jun-20 11:07:10

Have you read much of the wider internet Carol?

ArriettyJones Thu 18-Jun-20 11:08:25

It’s a dickishness thing.

As @TinyPigeon is demonstrating so beautifully for us.

ClosedDoors Thu 18-Jun-20 11:08:51

Didn't it start on reddit?

ArriettyJones Thu 18-Jun-20 11:09:56

TheFlis12345

It’s not a mn thing, it’s across all social media.

That just sounds sheeplike.

MN used to be a slightly more intelligent environment than the internet as a whole.

There are lots of things it isn’t acceptable to say here that are common currency elsewhere.

SadSisters Thu 18-Jun-20 11:10:07

It’s not really a mumsnet thing. It’s a wider phenomenon. ‘Karen’ has become shorthand for a caricature of the kind of person who behaves in a very entitled way without caring about the feelings or wellbeing of others. It is a shame for people called Karen, I’ve always thought, although I don’t object to the associated behaviour itself being called out.

There are various examples which go in and out of fashion. Simple Simon, Wendy, Tim-nice-but-dim, Becky, Sharon, Chad, etc. Always a shame for people bearing those names!

TopLipTash Thu 18-Jun-20 11:11:12

Some MNers have been influenced by t'internet.

Not an MN thing.

bintang Thu 18-Jun-20 11:11:52

I haven't seen anyone use 'Carol' until this thread. I don't even know anyone named Carol under 70!

It's not an MN thing, in fact I've seen far less of it on here than in other sites. (Possibly because a fair few posters will be called Karen wink)

PuppyMonkey Thu 18-Jun-20 11:11:54

I just saw the Carol one for the first time on a thread today OP. It's like people have realised using Karen is now seen as offensive so they've thought: "Oh well, we'll use Carol instead and that'll be ok." hmm

ArriettyJones Thu 18-Jun-20 11:13:15

Maybe @MNHQ would take a position if asked?

They delete classist words like c##v and disablist words like r####d and c####n routinely.

Misogynistic tropes seem jarring, considering.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 18-Jun-20 11:19:02

It is an Internet thing. Whenever I see it here from pp's I automatically presume they're a dick-head.

recycledteenager24 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:23:42

tiny i don't do any social media apart from mn as most of it according to reading about it on here is total shite, it just makes me think the person using the said names are complete twats.

Haworthia Thu 18-Jun-20 11:25:51

It’s the socially acceptable face of misogyny right now (and ageism, of course).

GinDrinker00 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:28:15

It’s been happening for years. It’s a Internet thing. This also isn’t the first post about it.

TheCanterburyWhales Thu 18-Jun-20 11:28:29

As others have said, it seems to be the current version of "Essex girl" etc.
It's awful. More so because it's used predominantly by women to feel superior over other women.

ScorpionQueen Thu 18-Jun-20 11:28:45

It's awful and I judge anyone doing it as a bit of a twat, to be honest.

TheCanterburyWhales Thu 18-Jun-20 11:29:51

What does it matter whether it's the first post about it or not?
There's no rule to say subjects can't be talked about again.
Unless you've a vested interest in them not being so, and obvs.

Ughmaybenot Thu 18-Jun-20 11:30:04

How many more posts about this do we need to have?! No, people posting on Mumsnet generally and rightfully don’t like it.

recycledteenager24 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:32:01

gin so what if this has been asked before ?

peppapigisscottish Thu 18-Jun-20 11:33:14

ArriettyJones

It’s a dickishness thing.

As @TinyPigeon is demonstrating so beautifully for us.

grin

CountFosco Thu 18-Jun-20 11:52:47

Never seen anyone talk about 'Carol' and the majority of the comments I've seen about 'Karen' are criticising it for being misogynistic. I do spend a lot of time in FWR though.

Juno231 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:54:55

It's been going on for ages if not years? There's the same for Sharon, Chad etc. catch up!

DomDoesWotHeWants Thu 18-Jun-20 11:56:58

It was vaguely amusing when it started but became less so when it persisted.

A bit like the Wayne and Sharon jokes of the 80s.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »