Talk

Advanced search

To ask what this overwhelming sense of doom is

(129 Posts)
Blueglaze Thu 14-Nov-19 20:44:50

For the last few days I’ve had this awful feeling like something terrible is about to happen, but I don’t know why! I’ve got a few worries I guess like everyone but they’re nothing life threatening. So what does this mean? It’s pretty much constant and the only way I can describe it is like deep, paralysing fear as though I’m in terrible danger. Is this how anxiety as a medical condition presents itself? Should I see my GP? I don’t want them to think I’m being ridiculous when I explain I feel like something really bad is about to happen when rationally I know it’s probably not. What’s wrong with me? I’m starting to think stupid things like perhaps I’m having a premonition even though I don’t really believe in things like that. It’s horrible.

catlady3 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:45:12

Brexit innit.

Shoppingwithmother Thu 14-Nov-19 20:46:03

Yes, it sounds like it could be anxiety

PurpleFlower1983 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:46:05

An impending sense of doom can be the sign of a heart condition. I would see your GP.

HettySunshine Thu 14-Nov-19 20:46:12

Another 5 years of the Tories?

PurpleFlower1983 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:47:04

Your GP will take you seriously.

PollyShelby Thu 14-Nov-19 20:48:04

Ignore the unhelpful replies.

Anxiety is horrid. Have you been under the weather recently?

RJnomore1 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:49:18

I get this sometimes.

I don’t know what causes it but it does pass.

GrumpySausage Thu 14-Nov-19 20:49:20

It does sound like anxiety. I tend to have this feeling before a bad mental health period.

slipperywhensparticus Thu 14-Nov-19 20:49:26

All this spoil your vote or dont vote as a protest cos that will learn em is certainly depressing me

Its probably lack of sunshine I prescribe an increase in sunshine get thee on a plane or take more vitamins

HumphreyCobblers Thu 14-Nov-19 20:50:17

Could be a manifestation of a physical illness. Take your temperature? Are you having heart palpitations? Is your pulse rapid?

Whatjusthappenedthere Thu 14-Nov-19 20:50:27

Do you drink alcohol daily? This often happens to me when I have a spike in drinking days.

Aquamarine1029 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:50:35

Sounds like a buildup of cortisol to me, which is the hormone that causes anxiety. I suggest doing some strenuous exercise to try and burn it off.

Blueglaze Thu 14-Nov-19 20:51:31

Oh god I’m worried now. I’ve been quite stressed recently and I had an ecg last week as my gp could hear an ectopic beat but when I called about the result the receptionist said she couldn’t comment on it but that the GP would have contacted me if there was something wrong so I assumed it must be ok. Really worried it’s my heart now

RoadrunnerMeepMeep Thu 14-Nov-19 20:51:49

As well as anxiety it can also be a sign of an allergic reaction or poisoning, see your gp x

Simkin Thu 14-Nov-19 20:51:52

Yeah do get checked out because it can indicate something (probs heart problems as PP said).

But also it's probably the impending doom giving you the feeling of impending doom quite honestly.

Blueglaze Thu 14-Nov-19 20:52:47

I don’t drink daily know, maybe a few glasses of wine at the weekend.

Blueglaze Thu 14-Nov-19 20:53:10

Sorry meant to write ‘no’ not ‘know’

newbingepisodes Thu 14-Nov-19 20:53:13

Can be a sign of heart attack.

PurpleFlower1983 Thu 14-Nov-19 20:53:34

I don’t think you should worry too much without other symptoms but it could be coming from the issue with your heart. I would go to the GP to get checked over.

HumphreyCobblers Thu 14-Nov-19 20:53:49

deep breaths! It obviously is good news that your ecg has not elicited any follow up.

Have you eaten anything today? The fact that you have been stressed lately IS probably the reason for your doom feeling, but maybe you could have a chat with the GP anyway, just to put your mind at rest.

Trewser Thu 14-Nov-19 20:55:04

It sounds like anxiety and panic (which could also be why your heart was beating erratically). It's horrid. Go to your gp if it doesnt stop.

LookAtWhatYouCouldHaveWon Thu 14-Nov-19 20:55:38

The thought of another five years under Tory rule?

Seriously though op, hope you're ok.

Blueglaze Thu 14-Nov-19 20:56:09

Ok do you think it’s ok to wait till tomorrow to get medical advice because I’m on my own with my toddler (dad not involved) and the only person who could have looked after her, my mum, is away. I’m really scared with everyone saying it could be a heart attack

monkeysox Thu 14-Nov-19 20:56:28

Can be a sign of a blood clot or anaphylaxis.
Go get checked out please

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »