Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else get “fixated” on a celebrity?

(277 Posts)
Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 17:01:51

Does anyone else get weirdly intense crushes on celebrities? I’m not even sure if crush is the right word but I go through phases where I watch everything an actors ever been in, read their interviews, that kind of thing. I’ve used the word fixated in the title because I can’t really think of how to describe it.

At the moment it’s Richard Armitage, it isn’t even a fancying him thing I just really really like him as a person. I’ve watched every interview, downloaded audio books, watched some utterly terrible films just because he’s in them..

Does anyone else do this? My friends never seem to (I don’t really talk about it though) and I was wondering if IABU to ask if other people do this too..? I mean obviously most celebrities have a fan base so it can’t be that unusual. I just feel a bit odd, like nobody else does this. It’s happens a few times a year with different people, I’m very fickle grin

DanielRicciardosSmile Sun 12-May-19 19:06:27

@AdamAntsCrackpotHistory Sidney Poitier? wink

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 19:10:13

I had a dream Richard Armitage called me a bitch and I was weirdly angry for about 20 minutes 😂

Purplemond Sun 12-May-19 19:20:59

i often get fixation with some celebrities, mostly actors so i will search through their IMDb page to watch whatever they have been in. I must have a type though as most seemed to have been in either silent witness, vera or some related crime drama as a one off

Pinkblanket Sun 12-May-19 20:26:17

Yes. My current ones are Keeley Hawes and Tom Hiddleston.

Mari50 Sun 12-May-19 20:35:32

I used to and it was often quite all consuming. Started with mark hamill when I was 5 and has meandered through stars such as John Taylor from Duran Duran, Michael j Fox, Michael hutchence, Tim Burgess, Robbie Williams back to Tim Burgess with some Joaquin Phoenix for good measure then I had my daughter and fixated on her....... my fixations are a lot more in control now I think.....the fact that Tim Burgess has aged so ‘unusually’ probably cured me.

Giantsbane Sun 12-May-19 20:39:54

Richard Armitage is soo sexy. Even as a dwarf 😂

Luckypoppy Sun 12-May-19 20:40:50

I was just about to reply yes Richard Armitage then read your post! blush

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 20:43:44

I think there’s just something about Richard Armitage that gets a lot of people, he has the most intense group of fans I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen a lot of fandoms. I love his voice, it’s just so relaxing

NuffSaidSam Sun 12-May-19 20:45:35

Me too!

Sometimes actresses ( I don't know why but hardly ever male actors!), but most often comedians. I could answer Mastermind questions on Tina Fey or Jennifer Saunders.

TiredSloth Sun 12-May-19 20:53:41

Yes. When I was in my teens I obsessively watched all Benicio Del Toro films. More recently it has been Tom Hardy and Bradley Cooper.

After actress Brittany Murphy died I was obsessed with everything about her for a long time. Movies, interviews, her beautiful singing voice etc. Thinking about her now still makes me sad.

CoffeeMilkNoSugar Sun 12-May-19 21:18:20

Currently crushing on Damso. THAT VOICE is magical. (vide Dieu ne ment jamais) AAARGHH. So yeah, I totally get it.

Onceuponacheesecake Sun 12-May-19 21:23:33

I did as a teenager. Viggo mortensen, Wentworth Miller, Johnny Depp (Ew) blush No one has taken my fancy for a while grin

GertrudeCB Sun 12-May-19 21:26:26

I tend to have a dream with a celebrity in then fancy them. Quite odd really blush

fudgesmummy Sun 12-May-19 21:31:04

Yes,
Paul Simon (as in Simon and Garfunkel) blush
I have read every interview he has ever given and watch his performances on YouTube daily!
I feel I know him personally 😂

captainprincess Sun 12-May-19 21:32:23

@Onceuponacheesecake are you me grinand yep eww about Johnny Depp now....but back in the day grin

Triglesoffy Sun 12-May-19 21:32:59

It isn’t stalking. It’s research

famousfour Sun 12-May-19 21:34:15

Had to google Richard Armitage - realise I watched north and south eons ago. What has he been in since?

As a teen I had crushes on river Phoenix and then later Benicio del Toro but not really since that I recall. I’m just not that interested In celebs any more.

NoSauce Sun 12-May-19 21:35:57

Sarah Lancashire. I think she’s marvellous. As Catherine Cawood in Happy Valley she reminds me of myself. Shouty, tough with a soft centre.

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 21:37:06

He was a lead character in the hobbit, he’s worked pretty consistently since north and south. Vicar of Dibley, Spooks, various military shows like strike back, he was Anne hathaway’s love interest in oceans 8. He doesn’t half do some rubbish though.

CrinolineQueen Sun 12-May-19 21:37:12

Maybe it's a thing where subconsciously you're replacing a real relationship with a celebrity crush instead because it's safer. I had this a couple of times, once with Edward Norton and then with Jerome Flynn (what the fuck?!) and then it ends and I never think about them again. I think both episodes may have been during periods where I was feeling a bit bruised and I just wanted an imaginary lover who could never let me down! grin

Crazycatlady10 Sun 12-May-19 22:09:28

Ooh I’ve never thought of it like that. I did that once, got a crazy crush on the actor Richard rankin that lasted yonks (I like Richards apparently). Right now everything’s really good in my personal life so I don’t know where this has come from😂

Livedandlearned Mon 13-May-19 07:33:21

I do this. Currently Andrew Scott.

bushtailadventures Mon 13-May-19 07:41:38

The first time I felt we really needed the internet was just after I saw an episode of Law & Order Criminal Intent, because of the actor in the lead role! How did we manage before the internet? The 'fixation' on Vincent D'onofrio lasted a good few years too, although it has got less intense over time. I have passed the ability to fixate on to my eldest dd though...not sure it's a good thing though.

Ginger1982 Mon 13-May-19 07:42:32

Yup, I have a number of DVDs in obscure languages (with English audio) because I have had a 'thing' for a particular actor at a particular time and have felt the need to see everything they've ever done! 😆

Ginger1982 Mon 13-May-19 07:43:22

@bushtailadventures Vincent has been one of mine in the past too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »