Talk

Advanced search

To think this cafe needs to rethink their message to customers?

(709 Posts)
GunpowderGelatine Fri 22-Feb-19 23:37:14

Seen this on Facebook today from a cafe -

So we are a dog friendly cafe which is completely acceptable by health and safety as long as the dogs don’t cook your food or enter the kitchen 😡* so don’t give us a hard time if you don’t like dogs because we like dogs better than humans - note don’t give Vicky a hard time over happy dogs because Vicky will always defend the dogs*

Now I have a bit of a fear of dogs and wouldn't expect to see one in a cafe and I'd be a bit pissed off if I paid good money for food and drink only to be bollocked by "Vicky" if I didn't like a dog in my face hmm AIBU to think it's not a good message to tell your paying customers that they come second to another species?

FrancisCrawford Fri 22-Feb-19 23:39:27

The message is fine.

It lets you know it isn’t your sort of place.

Their cafe - they can chose the sort of customers they do and do not want

OwlinaTree Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:00

Well I don't think I'd go there, but if it's best a good dog walking place I'm sure plenty will!

OftenHangry Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:15

Well, now you know you are not going there?
Dog owners will be chuffed though.

Btw, lots of cafes allows dogs nowadays and many actually market themselves as dog friendly.

CameliaCamelia Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:18

Message is fine

Yabu

OwlinaTree Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:28

near a good dog walking place sorry!

GunpowderGelatine Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:36

They have linked to "Vicky's" profile. She ha said:

Just don’t mess with the dogs period or the bitch fairy comes out to play
The bitch fairy and team fairydust don’t tolerate non dog lovers
End of 🥊

And

I’m still fuming with the woman who went bitchfest today over two adorable chocolate labs being excited x will defend a fur baby all day long 365 don’t mess there ever
Nuff said dogs are so super nicer than humans

What a charmer hmm
"Excited" dogs to me often means "out of control"

MitziK Fri 22-Feb-19 23:40:46

Not really - it makes it clear that there will probably be dogs in there and anybody who doesn't like them that close can choose to eat somewhere dog free.

Makes good business sense, too, as it means they are likely to get more custom from people who do want to have a coffee and take their dog with them - like you get with dog friendly pubs.

PurpleDaisies Fri 22-Feb-19 23:41:26

It’s not a cafe for you. I’m sure it has plenty of other customers. I wouldn’t go to accafe with a play area and menu clearly aimed at parents with young children. People target different markets.

GunpowderGelatine Fri 22-Feb-19 23:41:26

I may be alone but I've never once seen a dog in a cafe confused

PurpleDaisies Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:10

We have lots of dogs in cates around here.

ILoveMaxiBondi Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:11

Why would you go to a dog friendly cafe if you’re afraid of dogs? confused

That’s like going to a family friendly restaurant and complaining about children being there.

FamilyOfAliens Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:13

Well Vicky sounds deranged, but it’s still up to the owners whether to allow dogs in or not.

BackforGood Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:13

Well no.
They have decided that is their policy and made it clear.
That means you will chose to go somewhere else - as would many other people - and it also means they will attract people that might not have gone theri without knowing that.
They don't need to re-think at all.

Bit like policies over putting things out to attract parents with little children - it attracts some people, and puts others right off. Neither policy is wrong, and it is a good thing to make it clear so you don't end up in the sort of place you don't want to be.

Monty27 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:38

Go somewhere else confused

BackforGood Fri 22-Feb-19 23:42:58

slow typing means I've x posted with everyone grin

WorraLiberty Fri 22-Feb-19 23:43:11

Even with that Tsunami of a drip feed, it's still fine because you know what you're getting.

I imagine they'll have similar signs on their door.

BrizzleMint Fri 22-Feb-19 23:43:12

There's a dog cafe near where my DBro lives, he doesn't go there because of it. It's a shame because it's in the local park and so would otherwise be great for parents with children - it's next to a swimming pool so a lot of children are there.

DrBuckles Fri 22-Feb-19 23:43:20

I think Vicky has obviously had problems before and so is telling people straight what her cafe is about so people know whether it’s for them or not.

You’ve figured out it’s not for you so don’t go.

Stargazer888 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:43:23

Now you know not to go there. I would! This is there business model. It's not for you and that's ok.

ChesterGreySideboard Fri 22-Feb-19 23:43:36

Cafe Nero is dog friendly.
The local one to use often has dogs.

I agree though that the tone of the message is off.

RaininSummer Fri 22-Feb-19 23:43:38

I like dog cafes but Vicky sounds an unpleasant person so I don't think I would want to give her my money.

WorraLiberty Fri 22-Feb-19 23:44:56

Cats rather than dogs but I love this place! and can't recommend it enough.

ILoveMaxiBondi Fri 22-Feb-19 23:45:00

Btw I love dogs. My dog is my pride and joy. I still wouldn’t go to a dog friendly restaurant for a nice meal. I’d actively avoid a dog friendly place if I was looking for a nice meal. As lovely as dogs are, I don’t want them snuffling round my table and shaking their fur over my meal.

Walnutwhipster Fri 22-Feb-19 23:45:27

She did warn you. I can't see anything wrong with it. Most of our local cafes and pubs allow dogs now.

crazycatgal Fri 22-Feb-19 23:45:27

Vicky sounds a bit unhinged.

But don't go to a dog friendly cafe if you don't like dogs, I don't understand people who go to them and then complain about dogs. hmm

ScreamingValenta Fri 22-Feb-19 23:45:46

The original message was OK, but she lost me at 'bitch fairy'.

Birdsgottafly Fri 22-Feb-19 23:48:43

It also depends on where you are.

I used to go camping, mainly around Wales. We went with my very well behaved GSD.

The places we ate/drank allowed dogs. They relied on the trade from canpers/walkers.

There were lots of dogs, but more mess a d fights from the humans. A lot of the time the dogs smelt better, as well.

SaturdayNext Fri 22-Feb-19 23:49:05

It's bit bizarre that she's telling her customers that dogs are better than them. It's not as if the dogs are likely to be able to keep her in business on their own.

babycatcher411 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:49:33

I like dog cafes but Vicky sounds an unpleasant person so I don't think I would want to give her my money

This.
If they want it to be a dog friendly cafe, and do it in a manner that meets health and safety, and food safety standards, crack on.
But however Vicky doesn’t sound to be the most pleasant person I’ve ever met, and that would deter me.

QuietContraryMary Fri 22-Feb-19 23:50:49

if it's clear before you pay that dogs have the run of the place then I don't see the problem.

if it's not so obvious then it's a bit off IMO

whataremyoption Fri 22-Feb-19 23:51:04

I mean, they sound mental. But just don't go there.

Doobigetta Fri 22-Feb-19 23:51:49

Something tells me Vicky has blue hair.

OftenHangry Fri 22-Feb-19 23:51:52

Are you the woman who went to bitchfest? 😂

BrizzleMint Fri 22-Feb-19 23:53:03

this place is lovely though I do wonder if doing meditation with cats in the room is quite the tranquil, relaxing session they suggest grin

GabsAlot Fri 22-Feb-19 23:53:07

she sounds a bit mad but jus dont go there if you dont like dogs

ive been to the cat emprium its lovely

IncrediblySadToo Fri 22-Feb-19 23:54:09

Well. If you mean re dogs being welcome, then YABU

But they might need to reign Vicky in, because she sounds completely unhinged and volatile and that puts me off going.

BadLad Fri 22-Feb-19 23:56:16

I don't like dogs at all, but can't see the issue here. I'd be glad to have it pointed out to me so clearly that it wasn't my kind of place before I hsd even gone there.

Dieu Fri 22-Feb-19 23:57:51

A dog lover and owner here, but I think Vicky sounds like a passive aggressive arse. Chances are she wouldn't be good at handling ANY type of customer complaint, never mind the doggy related ones!

PCohle Fri 22-Feb-19 23:57:51

Well it being dog friendly wouldn't bother me.

The tone of the various messages however is a bit unpleasant. Surely the boxing glove emoji is implying violence?

steff13 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:59:47

I like dogs fine, but I wouldn't go because of Vicky. 😮

sweeneytoddsrazor Sat 23-Feb-19 00:03:04

@brizzlemint love it there .

ArchieStar Sat 23-Feb-19 00:03:04

Sounds like my kinda place! I’d probably just nod along with Vicky though... maybe she has witnessed animal abuse in the past? Something has definitely happened because of how forceful her post is about what is allowed and what isn’t there.

FrancisCrawford Sat 23-Feb-19 00:04:13

I may be alone but I've never once seen a dog in a cafe

Doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty.

Starbucks is dog friendly.

Bezalelle Sat 23-Feb-19 00:04:44

I've known Vickies. Tiresome.

SapphireSeptember Sat 23-Feb-19 00:05:19

I don't like dogs or humans, I'd love to go to a cafe staffed completely by small furry rodents, like guinea pigs, and bunnies... <stares wistfully into the distance>

Cafe owner sounds nutty as a squirrel's larder though, I'd be giving her business a wide berth regardless of dogs.

Babdoc Sat 23-Feb-19 00:05:51

I’d be glad of the warning to take my business elsewhere. I can’t stand dogs, having been attacked by them 3 times in my life, and I certainly don’t want the stinking things slobbering round restaurant tables and moulting hair over the food.
Modern attitudes to dogs are terribly overindulgent - they have human names instead of Fido or Rover, are obese from being fed unsuitable treats of human food, don’t walk to heel but drag their owner along from in front, and are allowed to rule the roost in their owners’ homes. Taking over restaurants is yet another unwelcome trend. Thankfully none of my favourite haunts have sunk to this!

YourEggnogIsBetterThanMine Sat 23-Feb-19 00:07:35

I wouldn't seek out a dog cafe but I wouldn't avoid one either. I'd avoid Vicky though, she sounds like a dick.

AmICrazyorWhat2 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:08:23

I’m still fuming with the woman who went bitchfest over two adorable chocolate labs being excited

Sounds like they either jumped on someone or were barking manically, neither of which is nice when you don't know the dogs in question. I love my dog, but I'd be intimidated by two excited Labs. hmm

Stormy76 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:09:46

Vicky sounds very ‘passionate’ about her business model, I would give it a swerve and find somewhere else where you won’t get a gobful off Vicky!

NameyMcNameChange1 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:12:23

My eldest dc is petrified of dogs so I’d actually find that sign really helpful. We live in a town where every other building is a coffee shop and only two of them don’t allow dogs. I’d much rather know before I go in with ds and have to calm him down because a dog has looked at him funny before he starts having a full on panic.

Darkestnight Sat 23-Feb-19 00:13:16

Im more of a cat lover but I was brought up with dogs I would eat there no problem at all.

averystrangeweek Sat 23-Feb-19 00:14:09

Not fussed about dogs in cafes, but I sure wouldn't want to go to the one run by that particular person. She sounds barking mad.

BrizzleMint Sat 23-Feb-19 00:14:58

@brizzlemint love it there

It's one of my favourites.

SusieOwl4 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:15:02

The owners only need to rethink if they don’t make a profit.otherwise it’s up to them . Just don’t go there.

DioneTheDiabolist Sat 23-Feb-19 00:17:17

YABU OP, the message is very clear and helpful to both dog owners and those who aren't keen.

winsinbin Sat 23-Feb-19 00:20:20

If I saw a sign like this in a place of business I wouldn’t go in there. Not because I dislike dogs but because I dislike people who are aggressive about preferring animals to people. And I guess that’s what the sign is designed for so it’s happy days all round.

bubblegumbottles Sat 23-Feb-19 00:23:36

I agree OP.

I don't have a problem with dog friendly cafes in general, if that's your kind of thing but the tone of the message is completely unprofessional. The dogs aren't paying their wages, the customers are.

blackcoffeeinbed Sat 23-Feb-19 00:25:02

As a dog lover, I think this is awesome! They allow dogs and also have a sense of humour, sounds up my street. If it's not up yours then go somewhere else!

colditz Sat 23-Feb-19 00:27:46

They've been VERY clear though, haven't they? You and your fear of dogs aren't particularly welcome in their deliberately dog-friendly cafe.

ScorpiaForCatra Sat 23-Feb-19 00:27:57

Cafe near me has a notice board where you can put pictures of dogs whilst in the cafe.
It's a nice cafe too, loads of dog friendly people, loads of gorgeous dogs.

I'd rather sit in cafe with 10 excited dogs and no people and I'd definitely pick dogs over noisy babies making the place a shit tip.

Chocolatedeficitdisorder Sat 23-Feb-19 00:31:13

We spent last weekend having a lovely trip Northumberland. There were dog-friendly restaurants and cafes in all the best places. We had lunch in a smart pub on Lindisfarne which had a total of 8 dogs in a small area and there were no problems at all.

It's wonderful being able to take our 2 dogs with us when we go into eat. I've never enjoyed leaving them in the car and having to check on the them all the time, and holiday cottage owners don't like you to leave them in their properties.

I love it when business owners recognise that the market is out there for tolerant, pet-friendly people.

Guineapiglet345 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:35:50

I’ve got a friend who loves animal more than humans, she likes to tell this to anyone who will listen, it gets very boring very quickly.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 23-Feb-19 00:36:13

I love my dogs. Can be intimidated by them and totally understand why others would be too. I’m disabled so excitable dogs around me are very frightening. They can knock me over and that would have long term nasty implications for me. Vicky doesn’t understand other people’s needs. She sounds scary. I’d give her a wide berth.

AGHHHH Sat 23-Feb-19 00:37:23

Yabu. Their business.

AmICrazyorWhat2 Sat 23-Feb-19 00:46:01

I love it when business owners recognise that the market is out there for tolerant, pet-friendly people.

Except they sound intolerant towards humans. grin

SilverySurfer Sat 23-Feb-19 02:13:39

It's their cafe, so they can do exactly as they please, as can you by not going there if you don't like dogs. Not exactly rocket science is it?

Decormad38 Sat 23-Feb-19 02:18:43

I would go with my little dog who would probably piss you off by licking you. I prefer cafes that make it obvious dogs are welcome. If you don’t like dogs choose another cafe. Simples.

AcaiSmoothie Sat 23-Feb-19 02:19:37

The message isn't very polite and sounds a bit silly, but then so is going to a dog-friendly cafe when you don't like dogs.

Dreamzcancometrue Sat 23-Feb-19 02:24:26

I personally dislike dogs, so wouldn't go to a dog friendly cafe. The lady sounds like a nightmare!

WiddlinDiddlin Sat 23-Feb-19 02:28:32

I am not sure I'd have put it in quite those terms, but there are plenty of cafes and pubs where I live where dogs are welcome and tolerated much better than many adults or children.

You know now, so find another cafe if it's an issue for you, it is after all, her business not yours and shes under no obligation to provide you with dog-free cakes and coffees if she doesn't want to!

sharedThisMonth Sat 23-Feb-19 02:28:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lyralalala Sat 23-Feb-19 02:56:30

I think it sounds like Vicky is fed up of people whinging about dogs when their business model is very clear.

I have friends who run a pub and the website, their facebook page, their instagram and the notice on the door says very, very clearly that there are 4 cats who roam around the bar - it's known locally as the cat pub. The number of people who complain about the cats is ridiculous.

Sparklesandglitter Sat 23-Feb-19 03:07:35

@GunpowderGelatine lol when I read the op I knew exactly which cafe this would be! We have been there a couple of times and have always found staff to be welcoming and helpful but I'm not a dog person, the cafe is crowded (not a big issue generally) add dogs in to the mix and I would not be having a relaxing meal!! Good cake though!

Ploppymoodypants Sat 23-Feb-19 03:16:30

As previous poster said, it’s the same scenario as cafes or restaurants who target children/ families. As a mother of 2 children (and owner of 2 dogs) I really appreciate somewhere where the children are welcome and I can teach them acceptable cafe behaviour within stressing that they bring too loud/messy etc. But on a child free day I avoid those places like the plague. Different businesses targeting different Market.
For what it’s worth I have never had a cafe/pub/restaurant experience spoilt by a dog. Lots spoilt by badly behaved children though.

Loads of people love dogs, but they are often ‘like marmite ‘ so just avoid that cafe.

StoppinBy Sat 23-Feb-19 03:32:46

I would go if I didn't have my kids with me for sure but I definitely think Vicky needs to pull her head in. Not all dogs are well behaved or clean and even at a dog friendly café people should expect to eat their meal or drink their coffee without other people's dogs and their hair invading their space.

We only have one dog and he wont come past our kitchen and in to the rest of the house because he wont walk on the floating floorboards we had installed 6 years ago yet his hair still manages to float in to our hallway and bedrooms, not sure how they are going to keep all that floaty loose hair from making it's way in to the kitchen where they prepare meals or from getting all over crockery that is presumably stacked on the coffee machine ready for use if the dogs are allowed inside.

Aaaahfuck Sat 23-Feb-19 03:37:30

Vicky sounds awful so I would be happy with the cafe's message. It shows its not my kind of place. Tbh I'd also rather not give someone like Vicky my money. So although it does sound quite abrupt and off putting it does the job perfectly!

PinkPupZ Sat 23-Feb-19 03:42:28

I would love that sort of place. I think it is fine.

SneakyGremlins Sat 23-Feb-19 03:49:44

Now I'm not a dog person so forgive my ignorance - but rather than a cat cafe where the cats live there - isn't this just a cafe where you can take your dog?

That I would be fine with but it reads more like people let their dogs off lead inside so they wander around - hence the excited labradors - and that's what I'd object to.

I don't care if there's a dog in the pub/cafe I'm in as long as it isn't going to come up to me.

BabyDarlingDollfaceHoney Sat 23-Feb-19 04:51:55

YABU (and a bit miserable)

kateandme Sat 23-Feb-19 05:19:44

there are actual dog and cat cafes now.
I think her wording could have been better.
but I imagine shes had a few people like/or extreme version of op being awful to her about letting dogs in.
if its like the pubs that let them in its lovely to see.

squeekums Sat 23-Feb-19 05:29:19

Dont go there if you dont like dogs. Simple
Her business her choice

Jackyjill6 Sat 23-Feb-19 05:49:43

But Gunpowder, if you have a fear of dogs, it is surely really helpful that you have been informed in advance that this establishment will not meet your requirements?

As for paying customers, they will probable gain as many as they lose i.e. Happy dog owners rather than unhappy non dog lovers.

burntdinner Sat 23-Feb-19 05:51:54

Very surprised you have never seen a dog in a cafe , seems to be the latest trend most places ,

I like dogs but not really very keen to be slobbered on by pooch unknown whilst sipping my latte in a cafe , I wouldn't avoid the cafe just make sure I sat away from slobbery pooches if possible , most of these type of cafes tend to be quite large seating areas .

Vicky does sound unhinged and probably shouldn't work in a people orientated workspace

Purplecatshopaholic Sat 23-Feb-19 06:01:54

As I have a dog, I like to frequent dog-friendly places and therefore encourage them and give them business (even if I dont actually have my dog with me). But as with all things, its horses for courses, if you dont like dogs, go elsewhere - there are way more places that dont allow dogs than do..

Imperfectsusan Sat 23-Feb-19 06:03:19

Vicky sounds like a 14 year old.

Pissedoffdotcom Sat 23-Feb-19 06:06:03

Dogs in cafes doesn't bother me. The notice from the owner & 'vicky' however would put me right off. It sounds like she's trying and failing miserably to be funny about an issue that is a pita. 'Excited' usually equates to loud or bouncing around like a kangaroo, which in a cafe is a nightmare. For the notice alone i'd go elsewhere

AuntieCJ Sat 23-Feb-19 06:40:14

Vicky sounds vile.

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Feb-19 06:51:01

I am guessing that Vicky is using bitch as in female dog - you know, dog friendly cafe = dogs and bitches friendly! Odd, open to misunterpretation, but nowhere near as OTT as the language used in Cat Cafes (they really are quite scary).

I'd go. My little monster needs all the socialising he can get. These days you see Dog Friendly signs all over the place, so I use them quite a lot. Excited does mean bouncy, but the only excited dogs I have seen have been on leads (mine included). Only the most placid are off lead, it isn't a Puppy Play Palace!

Raspberry88 Sat 23-Feb-19 06:55:28

I love things like this...a bit like a pub with a handwritten notice on the door saying no children. Just means I know that I don't want to go there. Best if people are honest so I don't have to waste my time having a crap time or feeling unwelcome somewhere!

Purplehammer Sat 23-Feb-19 06:57:22

Sign outside local cafe.
“Well behaved dogs welcome if kept on a lead. Same rule applies to children.” 😀

JenniferJareau Sat 23-Feb-19 07:00:19

They've probably gone ott to stop those people who read its dog friendly then get all hmm when they see a dog in there.

Soubriquet Sat 23-Feb-19 07:01:16

Don’t go in a dog friendly cafe. Easy

I loved it when I holidayed in Cornwall

Ive never seen such a dog friendly place.

My dogs were allowed everywhere I went. Even posh upmarket jewellers as well as little cafe’s

londonrach Sat 23-Feb-19 07:08:06

Yabu. Tells you to avoid that cafe if you dont want a dog near you whilst eating. For the record i dont like dogs in cafe due to fur etc unless guide dog etc. Dont understand why its become a thing. Yes outside but where food being served in a contained area no. Weve a dog cafe in our town and i just avoided it and went to ones dog free. It seemed busy but noticed a few days ago its gone but that might be due to location as on busy junction impossible to cross to.

IamPickleRick Sat 23-Feb-19 07:08:11

I don’t like dogs so id be pleased their philosophy is so clear and obvious so that I know it’s not my kind of place.

Although Vicky just proves that dogs are nicer than some humans. She sounds an arsehole!

BlueMerchant Sat 23-Feb-19 07:12:24

Not a huge dog lover but I'd prefer a cafe with a dog to a cafe with a Vicky.Not a chance I'd go in. Put people right off.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 23-Feb-19 07:12:49

As a dog owner I like to be able to take my dog to a cafe, but once in the cafe my dog's role is to lie quietly away from people while I enjoy my coffee and cake.
One of our local cafes has a sign that 'unsupervised children will be given chocolate and a puppy'.

MaybeitsMaybelline Sat 23-Feb-19 07:14:44

I can take dogs or leave them. This would mean I never went in Vickys cafe. But that’s fine she doesn’t want me there. It is her cafe, she can invite whoever she wants to be a customer.

She does sound a bit OTT though.

BrexitIsComing Sat 23-Feb-19 07:15:27

So don't go in then? There's a dog friendly cafe in my town, they have a menu of treats for the dogs as well as the human customers. I've never been in as I'm not really a dog person...it's not that difficult. Plenty of other places if I want a drink.

OneStepSideways Sat 23-Feb-19 07:18:42

It's like on selling sites when people write 'I have a cat but she doesn't wear my clothes' or 'I have 3 dogs but they don't go in the wardrobe' ...well we all gathered that! It comes across as so sarcastic and rude. The reason people want to buy from a pet free home is the amount of hair that drifts around or sticks to the clothing while the owner's wearing it! Do pet owners not realise this?
Cat hair is especially bad as it's so fine, it sort of embeds itself in knitwear!

I wouldn't go in a cafe that's so defensive about its pet friendly status, makes me think customers have complained about finding dog hairs in the food!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »