Talk

Advanced search

To not see how I can follow the advice 'feed baby what ever you are having'?

(301 Posts)
ethelfleda Wed 18-Jul-18 16:18:38

Maybe I am being over cautious- 8mo is my PFB after all and am terrified of getting the weaning thing wrong!

But yesterday was the first time I've had him weighed since we started weaning him. All fine - perfect weight gain etc but the HV is telling me that as long as I'm not giving him honey or full nuts, anything goes!

So... what about the piri piri smoked fish I had earlier in the week? And should I not make him separate portions of chilli with less spice in? Tonight's dinner is veggie omelette - should I just get over myself and give him some of that? Or carry on giving separate food to us?

I feel pretty stupid for finding this so difficult!

Pengggwn Wed 18-Jul-18 16:20:24

Not something I would ever have done, no.

BrutusMcDogface Wed 18-Jul-18 16:22:17

I think it's fine as long as you watch his salt intake (piri piri smoked fish sounds salty)

BrutusMcDogface Wed 18-Jul-18 16:22:46

What's wrong with veggie omelette, though?

ginandnappies Wed 18-Jul-18 16:23:45

We've always just given him what we're having (within reason, nothing spicy etc). It's made us eat a lot healthier with watching the salt intake etc.

The way I see it, as long as they are getting a healthy varied diet with little added salt it's fine although there are definitely days I go over the salt limit or very close to it! It's tough but it'll save you SO much time and money just offering what you're having.

Pickleypickles Wed 18-Jul-18 16:24:30

I think you are over thinking stuff OP, they say give them whatever you are having as it saves making two meals. If you find it easier to make him something desperate that is perfectly fine too smile I usually made my DD something different to me because I found it easier.

IWantMyHatBack Wed 18-Jul-18 16:24:38

Why not?

If youre having spicy stuff, keep a bit aside to cook without.
Did you have rice with your chilli? Grate a bit of cheese with that.
Omelette is perfect baby food, just do another egg.

It takes a while to get used to, especially if you eat a lot of spicy food, but it's easy once you do

DS2 basically grazed off my plate for the first few months

Also, get some frozen mixed veg in. Easy to microwave a handful and can just be put on their plate with a bit of whatever you're having

Pickleypickles Wed 18-Jul-18 16:25:25

Different not desperate.

Badgerthebodger Wed 18-Jul-18 16:27:45

Veggie omelette - yes I would definitely offer this
Maybe not piri piri fish, chilli I would try DS with if he doesn’t like it he will let you know!

Have you looked at any of the baby led weaning sites? They often have good ideas of how you can adapt your meals. I have DS stuff like:
Shepherds pie
Fish pie
Bolognese
Lasagne
Pasta with various sauces
Lentil chilli
Roast chicken and veg
Beans/cheese/eggs on toast
Steamed veg sticks and hummus

Just a basic food really, nothing terribly exciting but standard batch cook type stuff that we could eat and siphon off a few portions for the freezer so that if we were having something DS couldn’t have or really wouldn’t like we had something we could heat up

QforCucumber Wed 18-Jul-18 16:27:45

One of DS first meals was an omelette cut into fingers so he could pick it up.

Also Loved Fish in Parsley sauce with new potatoes, and salmon and brocolli pasta.

Be warned, at this age not much gets eaten, it's more about exploring the textures. Salt content is something to watch as under 1 they are only recommended 1g salt a day

Fluffiest Wed 18-Jul-18 16:28:00

I give DD, now 2, the same food as we eat and have done since she was about 8 months old. I don't give her spicy food though so I make mild food and have chilli flakes to add to mine and DH's plates before serving.

I also don't give her steak but pretty much everything else. I would just chop it up into tiny bite sized pieces and let her eat what she liked. Made weaning pretty easy but I think that she just happens to be a good eater.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Wed 18-Jul-18 16:28:11

Sure you can, unless it's very processed or salty. Lots of babies like spicy food. Unless it's a mouth-burning drunk rugby player curry, it won't hurt him and if he doesn't like it he won't eat it. Veggie omelette is great baby food. Little bit of smoked fish sounds fine, mine used to love smoked mackerel. I just kept portions of salty stuff small and kept an eye on the overall daily salt consumption.

DrWhy Wed 18-Jul-18 16:28:35

Absolutely give him veggie omelette, chilli put up with yours mild or separate his out then add extra spice to yours, mince and rice are good textures for spoon feeding and beans are good for pincer grip although I might halve kidney beans long ways like you do for grapes.
I bought low salt stock cubes, made home made curry pastes and fajita seasoning with no salt and literally gave him what we had. Smoked fish I did only do small amounts as it’s very salty. Lots of processed food is too salty but it sounds like you home cook so that’s fine.

littletike Wed 18-Jul-18 16:28:45

DS used to love an omelette - in fact I went through a phase of sticking whatever he didn't eat in one at the next meal!

It's about them getting used to textures and flavours so a little of the fish or chilli wouldn't hurt as long as it's not too spicy.

ShowOfHands Wed 18-Jul-18 16:29:00

I just gave them whatever we were having from day 1. Occasionally, I would cook their portion separately if we were having something like madras and it was very hot but mostly, we all just ate together.

cowbag1 Wed 18-Jul-18 16:29:37

I've never really understood this either as a lot of the food DH and I eat is either too salty or too spicy.

I just do a bit of both; they can eat what we're having if it's something like roast dinner (and I can season ours separately) and then I made and froze some recipes from Annabel Karmel for the children to eat on days where we would be eating things like curry. Sometimes you can take a portion of whatever you're cooking out for the children before you add the spicy/salty ingredients. Veg omelette sounds fine though.

catsofa Wed 18-Jul-18 16:30:26

Spicy food is fine, babies in many cultures grow up on spicy food!

As a pp said, just avoid too much salt.

Of course veggie omlette is fine, why wouldn't it be? Tell us what else you eat so we can persuade you to feed it to a baby smile

arethereanyleftatall Wed 18-Jul-18 16:31:41

We have always just had whatever we were having, but just be sensible about it. Veggie omelette, fine of course, separate his chilli portion to put less chilli in, swap the peri peri Snoked fish with something else, give him everything else with it, etc etc

user1471426142 Wed 18-Jul-18 16:31:56

I did blw but didn’t always do the same meals at that age because of the salt and because I ate at different times. With chilli I tended to take out a portion and then add more spice for ours. A lot of the time it depends what you’re eating but there should be aspects of most meals that can be shared. I’d have had no problem giving omelette and would have maybe done a bit of the fish without the Piri piri.

triangulator Wed 18-Jul-18 16:31:59

Do a mix if that's easier. Some days DS2 gets a pouch as he won't like what the rest of us are having.

Today he had weetabix for breakfast. Rice cake with cream cheese for lunch and some tomatoes which I helped him with.dinner will be fish fingers with the coating removed and some pureed peas.

Tomorrow we are giving pizza which I suspect is too salty so he won't have that he will just have a pouch

MrsSnootyPants2018 Wed 18-Jul-18 16:32:14

We've always fed DD what we've had. If it's spicy, we make it less spicy and add to our own portions.

She's now nearly 5 and has never been a fussy eater and I'm sure it's because of this.

JakeBallardswife Wed 18-Jul-18 16:32:22

Yes, we did just that. I omitted salt from everything I cooked, and they just ate whatever we had. Sometimes its not easy, so those times, scrambled egg, chopped veg. Avocado etc super easy and really tasty.

user1471459936 Wed 18-Jul-18 16:33:32

I used to add a bit of natural yoghurt to curry if I thought it might be too spicy.

Ohyesiam Wed 18-Jul-18 16:33:39

Babies in other cultures eat spicy food.

CMOTDibbler Wed 18-Jul-18 16:33:51

I gave mine what I was eating with some minor modifications - a hot curry would get some yogurt stirred in, some sour cream or guacamole on chilli for instance. He has always been a great eater and would give anything a try that I have been eating.
He had steak, chips and salad by the time he was 7 months old!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: