Talk

Advanced search

To think this breath-takingly ill-thought-out, regressive, sexist nonsense and is a real danger to children with special needs?

(134 Posts)
Betty185 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:10:17

This is guidance from an NHS organisation in Scotland:

www.centralsexualhealth.org/media/8009/guidance-for-schools-trans-gender-variance.pdf

I draw your attention in particular to page 14 on children with additional support needs:

Please note: by age 2 or 3, a child starts to develop a sense of being a male or female. Some children with a learning disability/additional support needs, however, may not develop gender awareness at the same age and stage as their peers. It is important that children with ASN are actively taught gender identity so that they understand the gender assigned to them at birth.

Conversely, this often requires blatant ‘boy/girl’ activities. However, once a child understands the gender assigned to them at birth, teaching and practice can diversify to include non-stereotypical approaches and allow the child to explore their True Gender identity.

So essentially two and three year olds with special needs should be engaged in activities based on sexist stereotypes until they understand what boys do (play with trainsets, rough-and-tumble games?) and what girls do (dress as pink princesses and play with dolls?). Once they understand what a girl is and what a boy is (circa about the 1950s), they can be encouraged to explore whether they really are a girl or a boy. If they don't fit nicely in with the stereotypes of their sex, they'll be on a path to social transition, puberty blockers, hormones and surgery.

laurzj82 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:12:51

Wow. YANBU!

Angelalley Thu 30-Nov-17 16:13:22

what a waste of time. so kids that are already behind are going to waste time on this,

Natsku Thu 30-Nov-17 16:18:30

YANBU - it is so backwards and regressive to do that! We need to get away from those shitty gender stereotypes, not actively teach them to children with special needs.

stitchglitched Thu 30-Nov-17 16:20:15

YANBU. My child has SN and I would go batshit if anyone tried to indoctrinate him with this regressive sexist bullshit. So sick of this nonsense.

grasspigeons Thu 30-Nov-17 16:21:18

it seems a bit back to front
the children aren't aware of stereotypes, so we need to teach them the stereotypes, then challenge those with the bit covered by resources and approaches to about gender variance

Ttbb Thu 30-Nov-17 16:23:20

So let's spend lots of the teaching them sonething and then even more time unteaching it...aha.

HattiesBackpack Thu 30-Nov-17 16:25:33

Makes me want to bloody weep!
How have we got to this?

It is so so regressive. To be honest if we read about this in a Margaret Atwood novel we would be thinking no way would this happen!

Rebeccaslicker Thu 30-Nov-17 16:26:12

What did i just read?

How do I unread it??

manicinsomniac Thu 30-Nov-17 16:28:07

YANBU

We should be teaching the exact opposite. To all children.

Viviennemary Thu 30-Nov-17 16:29:28

I think children need to be taught that your sex isn't a choice for you to make. Which seems to be what some folk seem to be pushing for.

Lancelottie Thu 30-Nov-17 16:30:16

Actually...
One of the authors of that report does work for autism information. What I've heard her advise is careful, correct teaching of the correct names for body parts, and their functions, as children with communication difficulties need this teaching more than most.

I think the '...and later we can let them explore their True Identity' may be thrown in there as a sop to anyone protesting that You Can't Tell Them Boys Have Penises.

Lancelottie Thu 30-Nov-17 16:31:07

Why on earth they describe it as 'teaching them their gender identity' is beyond me, though.

AdalindSchade Thu 30-Nov-17 16:32:07

Incoherent nonsense. THIS is why we have so many 'not another trans thread' threads

whiskyowl Thu 30-Nov-17 16:34:49

WTAF!! YANBU. Jesus Christ that's bad.

WTAFisthisshit Thu 30-Nov-17 16:37:12

Oh Ffs! When this is being discussed in 50 years time as the horrendous safeguarding issue it so clearly is, do you know who they're going to blame? Teachers, social workers, health care professionals and mothers! And there will be loads of handwringing about why no one did anything and just followed orders. FFS angry

onalongsabbatical Thu 30-Nov-17 16:37:16

Oh, dear god, what a mess. What a shambles.
What utterly arse-upward thinking. Actually, scrap that, they're not thinking, they're just arse-upwards without a coherent thought in their heads.

MonochromeDog Thu 30-Nov-17 16:37:37

Wow! So if I'd listened to this bullshit when my dd was little she'd now be a fully-fledged transboy! She has ASD and from a very early age shunned all typical "girly" crap, refused to wear dresses and skirts, hated pink, dolls etc and instead veered towards traditional boy activities and clothes. She's now 14 and still pretty much the same, wears boys clothes, hates make-up and girly things, is very much into manga, and Yu-gi-oh. She's also very happy as a girl!

I'd hate to think of the state of her mental health now if I'd been forced to look at it in the way that report states!

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 30-Nov-17 16:37:52

That is shit!

zen1 Thu 30-Nov-17 16:38:47

Fucksake, that’s scary

Koloh Thu 30-Nov-17 16:38:53

I just...I am at the point now of saying I think this is clearly a cult. These people are coming for our children and they are deploying every mechanism of the state to do so.

IceFall Thu 30-Nov-17 16:40:10

Fucksake, that’s scary

My thoughts exactly. Scary scary shit.

Mrskeats Thu 30-Nov-17 16:43:15

There was a huge thread on the feminist board a few weeks ago
YANBU we are down the rabbit hole for sure

SonicBoomBoom Thu 30-Nov-17 16:46:24

Scotland's public bodies are so pathetically desperate to be right-on, that they just throw this shit down on a page without a single intelligent thought.

Sarahjconnor Thu 30-Nov-17 16:47:50

WTF??? I am really struggling to comprehend this? Literally blown my mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now