Talk

Advanced search

To send DD to school in damaged boots.

(57 Posts)
OwlKiss Sun 12-Nov-17 13:40:49

The zip has broken on her school boots.
They do up ok, the zip is bust half way down, so it is harder to get them on and off, as you can't pull the zip down all the way.
They are otherwise fine.
I think it is OK to carry on wearing them, at least until the end of term, when I might pick something up in the sales. My friend is horrified, and it made me doubt myself.
Other people don't rush out buying new ones for something like this, do they?

DullAndOld Sun 12-Nov-17 13:42:35

probably best not or u will get some over zealous TA reporting u to safeguarding for neglect.
Honestly I have been tehre.

RedSkyAtNight Sun 12-Nov-17 13:49:37

How old is she (as in, will she be able to cope with the getting on and off by herself, and does she have an opinion about them)?

I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy another pair for something like that but then I am the frugal type who wears clothes until they fall to bits

TeenTimesTwo Sun 12-Nov-17 13:53:32

If she can't get them on and off herself then they need replacing.

However imo (though I accept I will be in the minority) YABU for having school boots. What is wrong with the same pair of school shoes all year round, supplemented with welly boots for wet days if you walk to school?

GlitterGlue Sun 12-Nov-17 13:56:49

Can the zip not be fixed? Might be worth asking a cobbler to have a look at them.

GlitterGlue Sun 12-Nov-17 13:57:46

Actually, if she hasn't had them long I'd be taking them back to the shop for a replacement. With cobbler as a back up plan.

RedSkyAtNight Sun 12-Nov-17 13:57:54

Teen None of DC's schools have even allowed school boots!

NorthernLurker Sun 12-Nov-17 14:06:06

I would get something that actually worked tbh. If they are broken then the zip could give way altogether leaving her without shoes at school. If they are newly bought take them back, if last years then buy new now. It's too long until the sales.
My dd doesn't have uniform so she has drop dead gorgeous school boots and two pairs of trainers and we alternate.

YouCantArgueWithStupid Sun 12-Nov-17 14:07:36

Have you tried rubbing a crayon/candle over the zip? Lubricates it up?

Sirzy Sun 12-Nov-17 14:08:15

Would you wear them?

VileyRose Sun 12-Nov-17 14:17:38

I would just put mine in trainers till they got new pair.

Branleuse Sun 12-Nov-17 14:48:11

They need repairing or replacing. Making your child wear broken shoes for an entire half term in the winter is shitty unless youve got a very good reason for it.

paxillin Sun 12-Nov-17 14:54:09

They need to be fixed or replaced. Put her in normal school shoes if it is too expensive to buy boots just now. Would you be happy to walk around in them?

Wellandtrulyoutnumbered Sun 12-Nov-17 14:55:20

How old are the boots?

MrsJayy Sun 12-Nov-17 14:57:27

Take them to Timpsons they will repair them i would hate to faff about getting something off because a zip is broken

SoupDragon Sun 12-Nov-17 14:57:39

Making your child wear broken shoes for an entire half term in the winter is shitty unless youve got a very good reason for it.

The OP says they are perfectly fine other than being harder to get on and off. They don't have rips or holes in them.

OP if your DD can get them on and off herself I would leave them for now,

MrsJayy Sun 12-Nov-17 14:58:58

Change boots for jacket would you expect her to pull her school jacket over her head because the zip broke?

SoupDragon Sun 12-Nov-17 15:01:48

But there is no difference to the method of putting on the boot at all, it's just tighter.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Nov-17 15:02:11

Not everyone can afford to rush out and replace things that still function well enough.

Notreallyarsed Sun 12-Nov-17 15:04:18

If you can afford to replace, then replace. If financially it’s not viable, don’t. It’s that simple imo. No negative comments either way.

Love51 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:06:04

Timpsons said they couldn't repair my boots (bust zip) so I tried a non chain place. They are charging me £17. I've no idea how much op spends on boots or how fast secondary aged kids grow (no big kids here, only adults and tinies) but I wouldn't imagine that it's worth repairing them.
I'm only repairing mine because they are incredibly comfortable!

paxillin Sun 12-Nov-17 15:07:42

Since OP is doubting herself after her friend's reaction I assume she can replace. No point posting in AIBU if she couldn't do anything whatever the response. She muses Other people don't rush out buying new ones for something like this, do they? Other people who can will rush out and buy new shoes for children rather than let them walk around in broken ones until the end of term.

Tipsytopsyturvy Sun 12-Nov-17 15:12:27

If they don’t look odd, they are comfortable and she can manage getting them on and off easily, herself, and without any fuss, why wouldn’t you wait until the sales?

WyfOfBathe Sun 12-Nov-17 15:37:57

I wouldn't leave it until the end of term, but I wouldn't rush out now. Assuming they're still watertight and she can get them on & off when she needs to, there's no harm in wearing them for a week or so.

Spikeyball Sun 12-Nov-17 15:45:23

As long as she can get them off and on ok there isn't a problem. I suspect though since the zip is now broken it won't be long before it goes completely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now