Talk

Advanced search

Leopard print in the office?

(90 Posts)
alexa1789 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:20:56

Advice please...

I'm wearing a leopard print top at work today. The top has thin straps but is not low-cut or sheer. I'm wearing it with a long black pleated skirt and black tights. My make-up is very neutral.

I just bumped into a senior manager at work and he joked that I look like I'm "off to Ibiza" today - I guessed this was a comment about the top. We work closely together and he's a nice guy and would never have meant to offend. I laughed with him but now I'm worried my appearance is unprofessional today and I'm planning to spend the rest of the day wrapped up in my massive shawl.

I hardly think I look like I'm off on a night out but maybe leopard print in the office is a no-go? What do people think?

BumWad Wed 08-Mar-17 11:21:39

We need to see the top

HelloSunshine11 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:23:14

Is the issue more the thin straps than the leopard print? IMO strappy tops are rarely work appropriate.

I hope it's not the leopard print as I'm also wearing this today!

ShowMeWhatYouGot Wed 08-Mar-17 11:23:45

By what you have described, it sounds fine.

Men have weird ways of giving compliments, maybe he thought you just looked nice x

maddiemookins16mum Wed 08-Mar-17 11:23:56

The thin straps are surely more of a concern (to some, not me), is it like a strappy vest top? (You'll need to post a picture so we really can decide 😊).

Astoria7974 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:24:46

It's probably less about the leopard print and more about the thin straps. At my office, our dress code means we have to keep our shoulders covered. That means no vests, shoe-strings, bandeaus.

StorminaBcup Wed 08-Mar-17 11:25:11

Context of industry too. Is it a media / fashion type one or a pensions department?

As a rule (because of the dull offices I've worked in) strappy tops are a personal no-no.

MrsMarigold Wed 08-Mar-17 11:25:24

The PM wears leopard print, it's perfectly respectable.

Reow Wed 08-Mar-17 11:25:33

In my office you would get told off for a strappy top. They might let it go if it was august and 30 degrees, but not generally.

SparklyLeprechaun Wed 08-Mar-17 11:25:50

Yes, I don't think the print is the issue but the strappy top.

WorraLiberty Wed 08-Mar-17 11:26:01

As long as you're not breaking any kind of dress code, I wouldn't care.

WorraLiberty Wed 08-Mar-17 11:26:26

I meant if I were you blush

Personally I wouldn't care either way.

Whatthefoxgoingon Wed 08-Mar-17 11:26:52

It's the straps. And it's still too cold for strappy tops!

moofolk Wed 08-Mar-17 11:27:46

YANBU wear what the fuck you want!
yes I am wearing leopard print right now.

TheUnicorns Wed 08-Mar-17 11:29:21

I wear strappy tops almost exclusively but always cover arms with a shawl or cardigan or something. Is pretty unprofessional without that. Leopard print is neither here nor there.

Applebite Wed 08-Mar-17 11:30:20

I wore a leopard print top yesterday, but it was a long-sleeved, long shirt worn over black trousers. I work in a legal office, so it's pretty conservative here, and nobody commented.

I agree, it sounds more because it's summery than leopardy!

CryingShame Wed 08-Mar-17 11:30:52

Here it would be the thin straps, so more summery beach wear than office top. If it were a leopard print blouse or skirt it wouldn't be a problem.

BillyButtfuck Wed 08-Mar-17 11:31:08

I wouldn't personally wear leopard print to work but others do/have done. Maybe it's the straps?

Goondoit Wed 08-Mar-17 11:32:38

Leopard print is no issue in any place I worked in. I fact in a prev role with a massive financial company a fellow manager was well known for her love of leopard and wore it DAILY no joke.
However thin straps are probably the issue can we see a pic or a similar image to understand more

TotalPineapple Wed 08-Mar-17 11:33:58

No bare shoulders in our office area. Also no leggings, flip flops, shorts, maxi dresses, or short skirts, it's a bit random I admit. You also appear to get away with what I'd call short skirts if you're a certain age and shape.

sonjadog Wed 08-Mar-17 11:34:03

Like the others, I reckon the problem is the thin straps.

Happyandhungry Wed 08-Mar-17 11:34:16

He probably just fancies you in that top. Take it as a compliment grin

Sunnysky2016 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:34:56

I think it's more the straps too sorry

Patriciathestripper1 Wed 08-Mar-17 11:36:35

It will be the thin straps.
Do you have a short cardigan you could cover up with?
Too much flesh with thin straps.

RockyBird Wed 08-Mar-17 11:38:19

Some people open their mouths and let their belly rumble.

Forget it and rock your top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now